Australian Dies In Thailand Drinking Binge

Cheeky Farang

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are a sick person and should be seriously disgusted with yourself for putting such remarks about 2 people who've just dies from some drugs sold to them by a Thai I would guess as Cocaine and not heroin as they seemed to have been snorting it rather than injecting it :o

I think you should think what you are writing before you complete your post next time you fool.

a lovely looking pair....

one wonders how farangs get a bad name.....

[edited]

If in fact the reports are accurate. And the pair were drinking all day and night, and in addition snorting herion. I don't find it strange they died the same day and at the same time. It's called an over dose.

Middle age men that consider themselves still 24 and party like it...well many a stroke has happened in simmilar situations. Would any doctors like to make a comment here?

The picture is here.

[edited]

lecter-I don't see too much wrong with their appearance from what this photo shows. Do you have a problem with tatooed guys or something?

My wife(Thai) in reading the report said that the police were suspicious of the circumstances. The Thai newspaper she read, spoke about the bar he owned having been sold for 2M Baht. No mention at that time of heroin only drink and medicines. TIT! :o

[sriracha john,2005-08-09 07:12:31]However, if they had ingested "narcotics" (the article doesn't specify which or what the amounts in their system were) together, it's entirely possible for both to OD on heroin at the same time.

A proper autopsy would give the answer.

[stumonster,2005-08-09 12:09:49]Heroin traces in dead Aussie drinker

TRACES of heroin were found in the body of an Australian man who collapsed and died after a long drinking session in a Thai guesthouse bar in the northern city of Chiang Mai, police said today.

But today a police surgeon reported that heroin had been found in the nostrils and nasal tracts of the dead men.

Traces of the drug were also found on paper lying near the bodies at the Poombim beer bar and guesthouse owned by Burgess.

livinglarge,2005-08-09 12:47:04]I don't find it strange they died the same day and at the same time. It's called an over dose.

Would any doctors like to make a comment here?

Uhmm... it's like I was saying earlier.

:o

Actually, their ages don't come into play at all when discussing the ingestion of heroin (and yes, totally farang, heroin is often snorted as the method of ingestion) followed by 12 hours of alcohol consumption. The lethality of that combination can quite easily end a young's person life as well as someone in their late 30's/early 40's.

A sad case of pushing the envelope too far.

:D

R.I.P.

:D

Edited by sriracha john

This article suggests the guys were trying to snort heroin! Reminds me of that scene in Pulp Fiction. I didn't think you were supposed to do that! Not that I would know anyway :o Never tried it, just watched films about it. Not a smart move however you take it.

Despite all the daft comments from the paranoid contingent (that seem to think all Thai policemen are out to murder/set-up farangs to make a living!) at first I figured the guys had just had one too many brews and a snort (not uncommon among some farang in Thailand). Now I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that someone switched their 'favourite' poison with a more fatal one. And (shock horror) it might even have been another farang (and maybe there weren't even any Thai policeman involved)!

There's a fine line between some of the light-hearted comments I read on these forums and outright narrow-minded racism toward Thais. The (tongue-in-cheek) comments are always mildly amusing to begin with, but they always seem to develop into an 'open season' for less trivial anti-Thai comments. Come on guys, how would you like a bunch of Thais living in your country slagging off the character of your fellow countrymen on public forums. Please try to keep your comments light-hearted (and/or constructive) :D

P.S. I should add that several Thais friends have told me on several occassions to 'beware of the police - they are only after your money', and I've met a couple of Thai policeman (one high-ranking too) so far that have spoken to me and acted with an obvious lack of respect and (IMHO) with dubious intentions. I'm not denying there is some truth in it, but you shouldn't tar them all with the same brush. I've met more polite, courteous honest ones than I have bad ones (although they're usually only manning the speed traps on the petchakasem road!). Hey, the situation's not perfect anywhere in the world! Welcome to Thailand.

Just my 2 satang,

--

Ross

The picture is here.

[edited]

You wouldn't look so great if you were dead.

Well don't know that I can agree with that. I've seen *their* picture but we haven't seen his. :D Who knows, for him it might be an improvement :D

Of course it would be much better if people would be more considerate and go over to Laos or Burma and collapse there so no insurance premiums would have to be paid. :o:D

cobra,

agree with you. I've had farang business associates who have "fallen off balconies," coinciding with their Thai business associates deciding they wanted the entire business to themselves. Greed is a powerful motivater. Funny thing, they don't swan dive from balconies everyday where I come from. There is an acronym that is commonly used among farangs and locals who do business in LOS: "D.T.A., Don't Trust Anyone." And I've got some real estate in the Gulf of Siam I can sell ya cheap ...

- FR

Edited by FlightRisk

Oh Bull Sh ...

Not buying it, all of us at one point drank enough that we thought we'd die but didn't, the body is a resilient machine,  there's more to this ... :o

Ok, ok.... for the misinformed:

The latest figures put out by the National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre have alarmed even the most experienced drug experts. Seven hundred and thirty seven (737!!) Australians aged between 15 and 44 died from opiate overdoses last year. That's a 23 per cent increase on the 1997 results.

One of the reasons we believe this is the case is the much higher proportion of male heroin users who are drinking, and we know that alcohol is a major factor in these deaths. I think it's important that we keep in mind that when we talk about opiate related deaths, other drugs, especially alcohol are typically involved.

Heroin related deaths in Australia have reached an all time high, more than doubling in the past 10 years. It puts us high on the leader board for heroin deaths among the world's industrialised countries.

It's common to read about in thai newpapers about thai people including kindergar teachers buying poision for plants and animals(25 baht a bottle=60cents) and using it on kids and other thai people.

No big deal.

Not saying it was that. maybe it was some other poison maybe even it was an accident that they went as far as death but anytime a foreigners is killed the media must report it as suicide or the like.

If i was the Thai police i would put money in victims pockets in cases like this to rule out murder for money as it would be bad for the countries image.

Never mind, it wasn't us this time.

All those posters who think that this was an accident please email me as I have several great business opportunities I would like to put you.

They involve extracting large funds that I have secured in a bank in Nigeria..........

It would be logical to keep seized drugs and use them in cases like this also to discredit the victims.

inject in various cracks where it would go less noticed and mash the body a bit to move it around the clotted system.

It's sad logic but there it is. If you retire in thailand best not care too much about news like this.

.with respect to families and friends... something is not right here...should every kebab shop in middle england not have dead brit's slumped outside after a typical night of binge drinking and class A's EVERY saturday????

the truth is out there.....

It is entirely possible that their normal human reaction of getting nauseous, vomiting and passing out from too much alcohol was subdued by the drugs.

If they were doing a competition of who could drink the most red unlabeled Thai whiskey with the drugs stopping them from getting too sick to continue then both of them dying at the same time is not impossible.

People in this thread who say you stop drinking when you had too much are not taking into account that under the influence of a narcotic you may not be aware of what is too much.

It's common to read about in thai newpapers about thai people including kindergar teachers buying poision for plants and animals(25 baht a bottle=60cents) and using it on kids and other thai people.

No big deal.

Not saying it was that. maybe it was some other poison maybe even it was an accident that they went as far as death but anytime a foreigners is killed the media must report it as suicide or the like.

If there were 737 Australians dying in Australia last year from heroin overdoses, many of them alcohol-fuelled overdoses...it's not much of a stretch to think that 2 of them could die in Thailand *yes, even though 1 was an American... not sure how many Americans died last year from heroin overdoses*

Certainly there are murders of foreigners here... but this doesn't seem to fit the typical scenario so I'll leave you conspiratorists to ponder further...

Anyone know the name and location of the place?

The Bars name is Boom Bim [perfect smile] not a Guest House, there were 4 Generations of Claytons living in Cnx till Monday night! He lived life Hard and Fast!

Ive had a few drinks with Clay but NEVER seen him do the heavy stuff. sad I think off his extended family and yes I miss the Crazy man

.with respect to families and friends... something is not right here...should every kebab shop in middle england not have dead brit's slumped outside after a typical night of binge drinking and class A's EVERY saturday????

the truth is out there.....

Can't be bothered with tracking down info on UK *feel to do some on your own research*, but for one city in the USA:

"Office of the Chief Medical Examiner to examine drug overdose deaths in New York City between 1990 and 1998. Findings: 7451 total overdose deaths during this period."

I imagine UK would have similiar numbers as well as Australia which had 700+ in just the last year.

Sooooo..... people ARE dropping dead around the world.

Why expect Thailand (which is world renown for it's purity of heroin) to be any different?

Well we are all entitled to our opinions.

Dosen't do any good talking about it. nothing will change much here for a very long time. corruption and underhandedness is the way of life.

the honeymoon bubble will burst eventually for the newbies and the perfect smiles will be seen for what they really are.

me thinks. opinion also.

There's a fine line between some of the light-hearted comments I read on these forums and outright narrow-minded racism toward Thais. The (tongue-in-cheek) comments are always mildly amusing to begin with, but they always seem to develop into an 'open season' for less trivial anti-Thai comments. Come on guys, how would you like a bunch of Thais living in your country slagging off the character of your fellow countrymen on public forums. Please try to keep your comments light-hearted (and/or constructive) :o

P.S. I should add that several Thais friends have told me on several occassions to 'beware of the police - they are only after your money', and I've met a couple of Thai policeman (one high-ranking too) so far that have spoken to me and acted with an obvious lack of respect and (IMHO) with dubious intentions. I'm not denying there is some truth in it, but you shouldn't tar them all with the same brush. I've met more polite, courteous honest ones than I have bad ones (although they're usually only manning the speed traps on the petchakasem road!). Hey, the situation's not perfect anywhere in the world! Welcome to Thailand.

Just my 2 satang,

--

Ross

Absolutely, and apart from the inane comments there is a singular lack of respect for the dead, how ever they died. I just hope that none of their relatives and friends read the stupid remarks made by certain people.

RIP.

The photo on the front page of the local chiang mai paper shows the bodies draped one across another, as if they both died at almost the same time. In fact the photo looks as if one of the guys is performing oral sex on the other, his head  in the lap of the other guy. Not a plastic bag, pair of hand cuffs or telephone cable in sight, but the way the bodies are lying is very strange, anyone else see the photo's and think it strange?

something not right here, there is something the authorities have missed e.g. some sort of gas or toxic substance that they both where exposed too together or foul play, how many dead bodies do you need before further investigation is required, suppose there had been 3 or 4 slumped on the floor, in my opinion 2 is just as bad.

Edited by gharknes