Books About Thailand

deejah

so after years of distraction and god forbid work

i am free to catch up on my reading

this is the first book about thailand i have ever read

in a long list of suggested and 'must reads'

at first i was like 'i know all of this' after a number of years in thailand and the school of hard knocks,

but i had a number of chuckles, and its good to see things through others eyes

soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

1-just finished reading a fool in paradise

is neil hutchison a contributing member on thaivisa?

2-now i want to read money number one

anyone in pattatya want to trade their 'money' for my 'fool'?

3-what are the other must reads about thailand?

and why are they valuable?

ie fool was fun and funny and right on but gentle and accepting about the culture here

there wasn't much i read that i could say he was off, way off, or even a little bit off the mark

feel free to include thai authors in english

ok now

talk amongst yourselves

heehee :whistling:

If you're serious about knowing where Thailand is coming from and not just getting up to speed with the Bar Scene, pop into Bookazine and get yourself a copy of Thailand, A short History by David Wyatt. It covers the last 400 years up to the present. Not a lot in there about Walking Street and Patpong 1 and 2 though.

There are a number of books by Pira Sudham, a Thai born in Buriram province, in English. His novels, Monsoon Country, Siamese Drama, and People of Esarn, tell you a lot about life in a Thai village before the advent of any Westernisation.

Mai Pen Rai Means Never Mind is out of date now, but is very amusing. There is also a book by a young Canadian girl who spent a year living with a Thai family in Denchai; sorry I've forgotten the name (Touch the Dragon???).

Any decent bookshop will know these; if you're in Chiangmai, go to Gecko or Backstreet.

Edited by isanbirder

There are a number of books by Pira Sudham, a Thai born in Buriram province, in English. His novels, Monsoon Country, Siamese Drama, and People of Esarn, tell you a lot about life in a Thai village before the advent of any Westernisation.

Mai Pen Rai Means Never Mind is out of date now, but is very amusing. There is also a book by a young Canadian girl who spent a year living with a Thai family in Denchai; sorry I've forgotten the name (Touch the Dragon???).

Any decent bookshop will know these; if you're in Chiangmai, go to Gecko or Backstreet.

The author of Touch the Dragon is Karen Connelly and is a great book.

I also recommend

John Ralston Saul's the Paradise Eater & The next best thing which might be out of print.

and I've recently enjoyed A Nail Through the Heart by Timothy Hallinan which is the 1st in a series of Bangkok based crime novels.

I have read a few and Yes Damage done is a good one, I am sure everyone has read Private Dancer by now, Dean Barrett's books are quite good and I met him in Bkk he is a funny guy and very knowledgeable about Thailand.

The Big Mango by Jake Needham, Pattaya 24/7 by Chris G Moore, Welcome to hel_l by Colin Martin is a good one, The last executioner, (cant remember the Author) Thailand Fever and a few more.

I am a little fortunate as I stay at the Canterbury Tales where there is a bookshop on the ground floor in the Cafe and spend many a leisurely hour with a Beer and Book and they do the trade in thing, they have far more choice and books than the other Pattaya bookshops and offer the best trade for books from UK

If you're serious about knowing where Thailand is coming from and not just getting up to speed with the Bar Scene, pop into Bookazine and get yourself a copy of Thailand, A short History by David Wyatt. It covers the last 400 years up to the present. Not a lot in there about Walking Street and Patpong 1 and 2 though.

I'll agree with that recommendation. Excellent overview but not heavy or ponderous.

If you want to go through Amazon, The King Never Smiles, by Paul Handley.

'Bangkok' crime series by John Burdett about a 'Leuk Krung' Police Detective. I think there are 4 books up to now starting with Bangkok 8, Bangkok Tattoo & Bangkok Haunts and the other one which I have read but forgotten the title. Although fiction they are a very entertaining series and he tries to slip in a bit of culture.

The Damage Done was an interesting read.

The Big Mango would have bee a lot better if the author didn't seem to have a chip on his shoulder.

Can't think of anything else worth mentioning, but then I haven't read that many. I keep meaning to try a Dean Burdett book

Edited by Moonrakers

the king never smiles is an excellent read.

reflections on thai culture by william klaustner goes some way to explaining the traditional thai mind-set although it is now somewhat dated and admittedly has a rural bias.

pira sudhams books as stated are stories of isaan, but were originally written in english, not thai.

the books of some thai authors have also been transalted into english - most notably those of chart korbjitt who has won several local and international awards for his writing. his books have a sort of dreamy poetic style to them, often dealing with things on the spiritual level and are infused with buddhist themes.

one of his most recent books "fak"(also available in english) was made into a popular thai langauge movie called "ai-fak".

I have this book " The King Never smiles " but not got round to reading it as I took it home last trip and not due back in UK till mid next year, if I do get through with it I will bring it back and trade it back into where I found it in Canterbury Tales Bookshop, I stay above there so am on the spot when good stuff comes in, I have read a few of Bean Barretts and they are good reads.

I am just about to start Welcome to hel_l by Colin Martin so see what that holds.

• 2 weeks later...