Dengue Fever And Fatigue

connda

I came down with Dengue fever about two months ago. Since then, I've been experiencing fatigue and a loss of energy on almost a daily basis. I've been trying to eat right, get rest, and even exercise to get my energy levels back to normal. I just read on the internet that Dengue can cause long term, post infection fatigue. Dandy!

Has anyone had any experience with fatigue after getting Dengue? How long did it take you to start feeling OK again?

Edited by connda

Yup, had Dengue in Delhi a couple of months back. The fatigue gets better but even now I'm getting occasional bouts of feeling totally knackered.

According to various web sources these episodes can go on for several months :(

Dunno the answer for sure !!! really a lot of conditions come with a long recovery time as l have experienced in my lifetime, depends on how fit are you, what your habits are.

Malaria was something that a onetime acquaintance l knew had never got over, it affected at certain times, l had eczema as a kid and it has come back in my later life. hope things turn out good for you just give it some time.

OK, thanks.

For what it's worth (as we're all different) when I had it I was useless for about a month but had erratic fatigue issues for around 6 months afterwards. Like any other severe illness it can be a factor in ongoing CFS problems.

I had it aswell (August) and still get real tired. I was boxing and couldnt, cant do more than one round now.

The advice I got and have found out is to let it run its course for six months. Eating good vegetables has helped aswell as cod liver oil.

• 1 month later...

I had Dengue fever several months ago. I still suffer from fatigue. Often I feel like I'm close to passing out, when out shopping or something. I notice it more in the heat, not as bad when in air con. I'm certainly not as active as I was before Dengue. I've been worried that I may have some sort of heart problem. I wondered if it was left over from Dengue, or should see a doctor for a heart checkup. It's been a while since you have posted. Are you feeling any better yet?

• 1 year later...

It's now been about 16 months since I contracted Dengue Fever. I started feeling better two months ago, and I've started to gain weight again. I dropped about 10 kilo in the months following the outbreak. In the last two months I've gained about 4 kilo. I've been working out (weight training and aerobics) since the beginning of January. I'm actually starting to feel better than I did prior to contracting the virus, including developing muscles that I haven't seen in over 10 years.

Dengue is not something you want to deal with. The initial outbreak is bad enough, but the months long fatigue is just horrible.

If you do come down with Dengue and find you are suffering from chronic fatigue, just take care of yourself the best you can. It takes a lot of time to get "right" again, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. You will get better. Eat right, sleep when you body wants sleep, and try light exercise. What you're experiencing is very real. Accept it and move along with your life and things will gradually improve.

I don't totally regret coming down with this illness though. It's set me back on the path of looking after my health, including reestablishing a fitness routine that I let slip after I turned 50. I feel good about myself physically and emotionally. I guess as the old saying goes, "If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!"

Best of luck! :)

Glad to hear you're better

Dengue runs a wide spectrum in severity, from infections so mild people barely know they have it and don't miss a week to being flat on your back in agony for weeks - and that's "simple" dengue not getting into complications

Especially if you were toward the severe end of the spectrum the fatigue and depression afterwards take a long time to resolve. recovery is indeed very, very slow

Sufferers should note that Mineral water, Oral rehydrant salts or sports drinks (Gatoraid etc) are much better than the heavily distilled water that typically passes for drinking water. If they aren't available adding a teaspoon of salt, sugar & lemon juice to the bottle makes all the difference by slowing it down on the way through & therefore rehydrating rather than simply making you wet on the inside.

Dengue was not a pleasant experience.

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

• 6 years later...

I had dengue fever during end of August and I become better within 1 week but unfortunately after 2 months I feel heavy weakness and light headness

I consulted doctor done blood test and all but nothg found as suspicious 

So is this related to my past dengue fever or anything else.

The recuoeration from dengie fever is quite prolonged and not unusual to be weak for months after.

Light headedness could be deydration - make sure you get plenty of fluids and, if you are sweating at all, make it fluid with electrolytes. Yiu can get reyhdration sachets at 7-11

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

The recuoeration from dengie fever is quite prolonged and not unusual to be weak for months after.

Light headedness could be deydration - make sure you get plenty of fluids and, if you are sweating at all, make it fluid with electrolytes. Yiu can get reyhdration sachets at 7-11

Thanks, I thought my dengue completely gone in week I was recovered very soon.i was impacted with dengue end of August and recovered within 1 week then there was no weekness.

After 1 week of recovery I started travelling alot and gone for brisk walk daily 6 kms afterwards I started feeling very week.

But now it's been 1 months  the weekness is still there and its peak level can't do any work.

I am really worried about my health I think I got some other decease I asked doctor is there anything like that but he said no worries u Don have any cancer and all.

He wrote some multivitamin tablets and probiotics . And I am having that from 1 month but I couldn't find much difference.

Sometimes I feel feverish feeling but upon checking no fever at all 

Edited by Noufal

No I am living in India, Kerala I got dengue during flood.

My neighbours who had dengue said for them took 6 months to recover from weakness. But I never felt dengue could give this much bad experience.my initial recovery was so fast later only I suffered alot.

My platelet count become very normal 2.5 laks and white and red blood cells are very normal.

It can indeed take a long time to recover, as I said.

But as in your case it has been more than 3 months it would be worth making sure nothing else is going on. Unfortunately I can't advise re doctors in Kerala.