Air Asia.

paulchiangmai

How can you pay for an Air Asia ticket to Australia via K/L using a Bangkok Bank debit card with VISA stamped on it. Air Asia won't except the card details when I try to pay even though the funds are in the account. Today I made ten phone calls to Bangkok Bank Doi Saket branch and they did not answer a single call, I then tried a few times to phone Bangkok Bank Thapae Road branch with the same result, no one would answer. Went with wife to Doi Saket branch and asked them if this was their phone number and they said yes, when I then asked why don't they answer the dam_n thing it goes without saying I just get a smile, they did however make a phone call to someone somewhere and after a few minutes actually got through, they then handed the phone to me and the lady at the other end told me that I can not pay Air Asia using a Bangkok Bank debit card. I came home and spoke with my neighbour, he has just returned from Australia after a round trip on Air Asia paid with a Bangkok Bank debit card. Can anyone give me advice or is it time to change banks? Perhaps after using them for the past 12 years I have outworn my welcome.

Credit Card or Siam Commercial Bank direct debit only.

They do not accept debit cards.

I've heard before that there are numerous behind the picture rules attached to debit cards and credit cards which can suddenly 'pop up' with such purchases.

Not excusing the fact that banks don't answer the phone etc., and in terms of BBL i've just had an unacceptable experience in trying to get a clear and specific answer to the operation of joint accounts, ring 10 branches and get 10 different answers.

So, back to AirAsia, I wonder whether this is really controllable by AirAsia.

Is there a sales office of AirAsia in CM?

Here in Bangkok they have a couple of small sales offices, I've used their office at Lotus Rama 1 several times, and the staff have been very very helpful.

That specific office seems to have quite senior staff, good listeners, who can find their way around most 'pop ups'. Say again does CM have a sales office?

They may accept a Kasikorn Bank virtual web shopping card but a lot of airlines do not.

Not correct Lite Beer. They have accepted my HSBC (UK) VISA debit card many many times for both domestic and international flights. I think (not 100%) that the convenience fee for a debit card is cheaper than using a credit card.

There is no convenience fee if you use a Siam Commercial Bank debit card and since I am a heavy user - have made 20 AA flights already this year - I must get round to opening an account. Especially as the convenience fee has just gone up to 70 baht from 50 an inconvenient 40%.

I dislike the way that budget airlines keep loading the hidden fees (you have to look hard to discover how much that convenience fee is before you have paid!) though I have to say that Air Asia are a boon in their prices generally and in the continuous growth in their SE Asian and Thai network.

They may accept a Kasikorn Bank virtual web shopping card but a lot of airlines do not.

Incorrect.

They do accept certain debit cards just not Thai ones. I think i have tried most of the Thai debit for AIr Asia booking with no success. I have successfully used an Australian, Hong Kong & 1 other debit card with no issue.

Supposed to be a security issue. Unconfirmed.

they only accept credit cards ,

and a charge for the privelege ,

is added to your bill... :jap:

wrong - read above!

Maybe one more reason to keep a bank account going in your country of origin if you are an expat (and provided it does not establish tax residence if non-residence in your c of o for tax is your objective). Must be a bugger trying to do online purchases if Thai debit cards are not accepted in some (all?) e-shopping places.

SCB direct debit works great but it would not work in the OP's case. The flight has to originate in Thailand for the SCB option to appear. If you book a flight originating in Malaysia, then it would be Malaysian banks that show up under the direct debit banner.

There are 2 AA sales offices in CM that I know of, one next to Starbucks near Tha Pae gate and the other in Carrefour on Superhighway. I never dealt with either of them though, I always buy online. Maybe that is how the neighbour was able to use their debit card. If their card does work online then log on to your account book the ticket use your neighbour's card to pay and give them the cash.

I regularly use my Bangkok Bank debit card to pay for flights with absolutely no problem.Several times with Bangkok Air and just recently with Thai Airways.I can not understand why you would be having a problem.

You can clearly see from the above responses that almost everyone is having the same problem as me

SCB direct debit works great but it would not work in the OP's case. The flight has to originate in Thailand for the SCB option to appear. If you book a flight originating in Malaysia, then it would be Malaysian banks that show up under the direct debit banner.

There are 2 AA sales offices in CM that I know of, one next to Starbucks near Tha Pae gate and the other in Carrefour on Superhighway. I never dealt with either of them though, I always buy online. Maybe that is how the neighbour was able to use their debit card. If their card does work online then log on to your account book the ticket use your neighbour's card to pay and give them the cash.

I didn't know there was an Air Asia office near Starbucks, the one in Carrefour only accepts for domestic flights.

They do have a sales office at the airport and the last time I checked their fare was a little more than Singapore airlines to Australia.

I regularly use my Bangkok Bank debit card to pay for flights with absolutely no problem.Several times with Bangkok Air and just recently with Thai Airways.I can not understand why you would be having a problem.

I cannot understand either dekchaijohn, hence my question on this forum.

I used my Kasikorn virtual shopping card a number of times without problem, though I was always a little worried on checking in in case they asked to see the card, which they didn't.

I cannot understand either dekchaijohn, hence my question on this forum.

The answer to deckchaijohn's question is ... because Air Asia is a budget carrier, not a full service scheduled carrier like Thai Airways and Bangkok Air (BKK Air looks like a full service airline to me, at least on the Cambodia route, which I have recently used - 20kg/no hidden charges/partly refundable fares). TA and BKKA are chalk and cheese compared to Air Asia. Air Asia is sometimes difficult to deal with because they take the least cost (to them) route for everything. With cards I'll bet it's all about the charges that the banks levy to the airline for transacting through their card facility - debit card transactions are charged to retailers just like credit cards are - only at a much lower commission rates. Perhaps Thai banks are greedier than international banks? Dunno.

You have to be an enthusiast of low low prices to carry a torch for AA - I am, and do, but I am realistic enough to accept I am going to be stuffed with little recourse somehow once every 50 trips or so!

Edited by SantiSuk

The Bangkok bank debit card that I use does not have my name on it.It has the Visa logo and I had to set it up with help from the bank for verified by visa to be able to use it online which I have been doing with no problem with Thai and Bangkok Air.Maybe Air Asia's system is not advanced enough to accept anything but a credit card. UPDATE: I attempted to book a hotel close to the airport yesterday and my card was rejected. Can only accept credit card.So it seems that some systems can handle the visa debit card and others can not.

The Bangkok bank debit card that I use does not have my name on it.It has the Visa logo and I had to set it up with help from the bank for verified by visa to be able to use it online which I have been doing with no problem with Thai and Bangkok Air.Maybe Air Asia's system is not advanced enough to accept anything but a credit card. UPDATE: I attempted to book a hotel close to the airport yesterday and my card was rejected. Can only accept credit card.So it seems that some systems can handle the visa debit card and others can not.

Read above ^. Air Asia's system does accept some debit cards. I booked another flight 2 days ago on my UK HSBC Visa debit card and my bank debited my account last night. I always book AA this way. It appears not to accept most (all?) Thai bank debit cards.

Hi Paul,

my advice is not to punch debit card numbers into any site on the internet. With all the people scamming numbers you don't want anyone to have direct access to a main bank account of yours.

I keep a Kasikorn bank virtual credit card account separate from any of my other bank accounts, don't even use the same bank for savings and debit matters.

The Kasikorn bank card works great on the internet, I book Air Asia tickets all the time, use it to buy stuff off Amazon.com for my family and friends in the U.S., makes Christmas a snap from here in Thailand, and no Thai exorbitant shipping charges.

Anyway, Kasikorn makes you jump through a couple loops, you have to create a security phrase but once set up, works like a charm.

There's my 2 satangs worth on the matter.

Cheers, GOM

Hi Paul,

my advice is not to punch debit card numbers into any site on the internet. With all the people scamming numbers you don't want anyone to have direct access to a main bank account of yours.

I keep a Kasikorn bank virtual credit card account separate from any of my other bank accounts, don't even use the same bank for savings and debit matters.

The Kasikorn bank card works great on the internet, I book Air Asia tickets all the time, use it to buy stuff off Amazon.com for my family and friends in the U.S., makes Christmas a snap from here in Thailand, and no Thai exorbitant shipping charges.

Anyway, Kasikorn makes you jump through a couple loops, you have to create a security phrase but once set up, works like a charm.

Thanks for that grumpyoldman, I'll have a word with that bank.

Typical TV responses ...and no help.

Had the same issue this week...here's the solution.

Make the reservation on the AirAsia site.

Try at least once to pay.

Call the Bangkok call center (be prepared for 15-30 minutes on hold)

Give the reservation code, and tell them you want to pay cash at 7-11.

They'll give you a charge code, tell you the 2nd charge code is the mobile number you're calling from, and give you the total amount to pay.

Truck on over to your local 7-11. Stop by your friendly ATM to get the cash on the way.

Tell them you want to pay for an AirAsia ticket.

They'll scan the AirAsia bar code, then enter the code you've been given, your phone number, and the amount you're paying.

Pay the amount, plus a 20 baht 7-11 convenience fee.

Your confirmation/eticket will be emailed to you the next morning.

No AirAsia "convenience fee" charged.

And I had originally tried with:

A. Chase Bank Debit card

B. Emirates Bank Debit Card

C. Bangkok Bank Debit Card

(all three with name and verified by visa)

D. Krung Thai debit card (no name)

The above transaction sequence has been verified by fnprop

I always pay with my Bangkok Bank Visa debit card. no problem. When it asks for the name on the card, I enter the name exactly as it is printed on my passbook. Never been declined. Used it over the phone as well.

But of course AA charge a fee for the "convenience" of using a debit or credit card which surely goes a long way to covering their costs.

Personally I fell any vendor is permitted to add 3% for credit (or debit) card provided they tell you up front & you get to make the decision.

You're right it's for YOUR convenience,