Steed Speed Problems

floridaguy

I know, the topic title is corny, but the issue is serious for me and I could use help.

I have a Honda Steed 400, always starts and runs great. I had let it sit about a week last week without starting. It took about 4 tries to finally start it; it has never done that before. It ran great on the ride to the office of 4 kilometers. Leaving work, it started right up. Then about a kilometer in to the ride home, it started acting like it was out of gas, kind of sputtering. I checked, full tank. Gas cap was tight. I switched to the reserve tank just to make sure. Still the problem at speed. It idles great, then takes off fine, but as the RPM's climb, it starts to sputter. It helped to ride at a higher RPM, but still a couple of coughs. I can pull the clutch in, sitting still or at speed, and it revs just fine. Also, if I squeeze the clutch in a little and just maintain that speed, it doesn't splutter at any speed.

I don't have a tach, but I guess it starts spluttering at around 2000 RPM and calms down at about 4-5000 RPM.

So before I go poking around and wasting time (I don't have alot of time right now, working too much), what are some of the things I should look for? Pinched fuel line? Water in tank?

I changed the fuel filter and spark plugs about 2000 kilometers ago.

I had the carburetter cleaned and balanced 1500 kilometers ago.

No problems since that maintenance until now.

Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

Edited by floridaguy

What fuel you using? Hope not gasohol.

No, very careful to only use 91 or 95 real gas, I never use gasohol. I always fill up at the same station. No changes there.

So this has all happened since it was not run for a week? It ran fine after you changed the plugs and had the carburettor cleaned? Is it stored inside or out?

If so it sounds like water in the fuel. Drain the carb if it has a drain plug and bung a bottle of fuel conditioner in to absorb the moisture.

It doesn't sound like a pinched fuel line otherwise when you slow down the carb would fill up again and it would ride fine until it got starved again. Same goes for blocked vent in the gas cap if there is one.

Check the choke mechanism also, it might be partially stuck .

If the symptoms persist and if you have time during your busy schedule. Let the bike stutter for a while then pull in the clutch and cut the ignition simultaneously, coast to a stop and check one of the plugs to see if it is too rich or too lean. That would give you and us a clue.

If moisture in the fuel, It might just go away on it's own after time.

Edited by VocalNeal

What fuel you using? Hope not gasohol.

No, very careful to only use 91 or 95 real gas, I never use gasohol. I always fill up at the same station. No changes there.

So this has all happened since it was not run for a week? It ran fine after you changed the plugs and had the carburettor cleaned? Is it stored inside or out?

If so it sounds like water in the fuel. Drain the carb if it has a drain plug and bung a bottle of fuel conditioner in to absorb the moisture.

It doesn't sound like a pinched fuel line otherwise when you slow down the carb would fill up again and it would ride fine until it got starved again. Same goes for blocked vent in the gas cap if there is one.

Check the choke mechanism also, it might be partially stuck .

If the symptoms persist and if you have time during your busy schedule. Let the bike stutter for a while then pull in the clutch and cut the ignition simultaneously, coast to a stop and check one of the plugs to see if it is too rich or too lean. That would give you and us a clue.

If moisture in the fuel, It might just go away on it's own after time.

Yes, this was all of a sudden after sitting for a week outside. It is always outside, in a covered parking garage. It hasn't rained once here in Bangkok where I am while it sat. I put a couple of thousand kilometers on it since the plug and filter change and the carb cleaning. I have never used the choke, not sure where it even is honestly.

This Sunday I can take it out and try to drive away any moisture. It has a vent in the gas cap, but I have had tape over it since I bought it with no problems. Tape is there to keep the gas from spraying me in the face after a fill up. Also, I can check for rich or lean.

Did you try driving without the tape on the vent?

I haven't yet. I will give it a shot Saturday or Sunday when I can mess around with the bike. I am leaning towards waters or something in the tank. I will try to run it for awhile and see if I can burn it off. If that doesn't work, maybe I will drain the tank and fill it with fresh gas and see how that works.

I haven't yet. I will give it a shot Saturday or Sunday when I can mess around with the bike. I am leaning towards waters or something in the tank. I will try to run it for awhile and see if I can burn it off. If that doesn't work, maybe I will drain the tank and fill it with fresh gas and see how that works.

Did it run well before you put the tape over the vent. ?

When you opened the petrolcap when it happened was there sucking sound ? http://en.allexperts.com/q/Motorcycle-Repair-837/indexExp_52174.htm

Edited by Kwasaki

Did it run well before you put the tape over the vent. ?

When you opened the petrolcap when it happened was there sucking sound ? http://en.allexperts...exExp_52174.htm

It has run well with the tape on there for 4 months straight. I have only had the tape off once, to change it. Anytime I have opened the cap, with or without the tape, there is never any sucking sound of pressure escaping.

Ok, so I really went at the bike today. Found that it wouldn't start, and I had no brake light. Ok. So when I turn the key on, the neutral light would come on, all the directionals worked, but no brake light. When I hit the start button, I could hear a light pop and no start, all lights went dead. I started messing with the wiring. Finally, after tracing backwards from several wires, found that the "O" shaped connector had broken off the power lead to the battery, and when I hit the start button this would pop. So I fixed that and it starts right up. Also, when I was tracing electrical wires, I found that one of my fuel lines was pinched going to the carb so I fixed that.

Took it for a spin and I don't think it ever ran better! Tons of torque and good speed. I ran down Thonglor to Sukhumvit to OnNut and back and no problems at all, except..... I still have to brake light. Well, on the ride home, ALL my lights went out except the headlight, and then only on hi-beams. No directionals, no brake light, no low beam headlight, no neutral light. Just high beams.

Now what could that be? I checked all the fuses, switches. I re-taped all electrical tape. Cleaned contact points. Nothing. I guess I will just have to take it to someone smarter than me with electrical problems. I just don't like messing with electricity.

Well one problem solved.

Electrics are not easy without a wiring diagram or the bike and a multimeter. My only suggestion is unplug and reconnect every connection you can find.

I was thinking grounding but as the headlight worked. There might be a headlight relay that defaults to high beam although logic would say default to low beam so that seams to be eliminated.

As you rode almost right by yesterday, you are welcome to drop by next Sunday with at least two beers.

Ride during the day?

Well one problem solved.

Electrics are not easy without a wiring diagram or the bike and a multimeter. My only suggestion is unplug and reconnect every connection you can find.

I was thinking grounding but as the headlight worked. There might be a headlight relay that defaults to high beam although logic would say default to low beam so that seams to be eliminated.

As you rode almost right by yesterday, you are welcome to drop by next Sunday with at least two beers.

Ride during the day?

Where are you? I do ride during the day - to the office. I work during the day. I would enjoy having a beer or 2 with another motorcycle guy. I am usually free on Sundays.

So, I rode it last night and again to the office today. Both low and high beams work now, but no brake lights or directions still. Weird, the high beam indicator light on the "dashboard" works, but the neutral light is not working.

I went through and reseated all the connections that I could find, but to be honest, as soon as I found the broken battery lead wire, I stopped checking any other connections. I will have to get back to it this weekend. But it drives like a champ other than the electrical problems.