There Is No Such Thing As A Good Thai Military Coup

webfact

And to call the Thaksin Care taker PM-ship at the time of the coup as authorised you are again incorrect. To be properly 'authorized' he must return to the palace and be signed off on by HRM and then be published in the Royal Gazette. Only then is authorization properly done. Thaksin did neither of these things AFTER the palace accepted his resignation.

He was extra-constitutional, without a mandate

or a legal standing to take back the caretaker post.

Effectively a coup of government powers by his personal fiat.

Nothing more nothing less.

OK you got me now. Thaksin pulled off a coup and then the army pulled one off.

I confuse easily. It's the jay part of me.:D

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And to call the Thaksin Care taker PM-ship at the time of the coup as authorised you are again incorrect. To be properly 'authorized' he must return to the palace and be signed off on by HRM and then be published in the Royal Gazette. Only then is authorization properly done. Thaksin did neither of these things AFTER the palace accepted his resignation.

He was extra-constitutional, without a mandate

or a legal standing to take back the caretaker post.

Effectively a coup of government powers by his personal fiat.

Nothing more nothing less.

OK you got me now. Thaksin pulled off a coup and then the army pulled one off.

I confuse easily. It's the jay part of me.:D

He took control of the government without legitimate authority.

Then flew to NYC and intended addressing the UN 'as the legitimate leader of Thailand'. Many in the press, military and politics said it was both inappropriate, arrogant, and very probably illegal, but he went anyway. Caretaker PM's have very limited powers.

He usurped the power of the Thai constitution and then went to use it at an international level, without the legal authority to do so. And from a Thai view point thumbed his nose at HRM's constitutional authority, to do it. This last makes it much, much worse.

He had resigned, his resignation was accepted. He then took the job back a week later, but was not reinstalled by proper authority and process. If one looks at it in this way, a 'quiet coup' is a possible viewpoint. Thaksin 'took control of the government extra constitutionally.' A calamity.

If you believe some people, a caretaker PM has an elected mandate.

the rat to bell the cat?

Is this journalism?

Can someone explain just why as readers we should be subject to such idiomatic idiocy as this?

I find this low standard of writing unacceptable. It stopped me at that first lineand I abandoned the story in disgust.

Absolute trash.

Must have been a slow news day.

But it did engender a good discussion.

Sometimes lucid sometimes not.