Landlord Refuses To Pay Back Deposit

I've always had my deposits returned in full (UK and Thailand) - I agree with those landlords who say follow the rules and there's no reason not to have your deposit returned.

Now I am in my own place I can hang frames on the walls, redecorate etc... IMO a rental is someone else's place and someone else will have to live in it after I have moved out - Some people who can't understand this concept and try and personalise the place or simply don't look after the property deserve to loose their deposits.

This also goes for consideration towards other tenants...

I've moved out of a place before after a noisy neighbor moved in (I'd been there 5 years and after 3 written complains, let them know why I was moving).

Now I have bought a place, someone down the corridor has a cat wailing all day long (it's pet free condo).

This world is full of too many people who don't give two hoots about those around them and the property of others..... They deserve their comeuppance.

Wailing cats smokers Ive met them all and when you metnion it to the committe the response |i got was " when the security ask them to stop (ie smoking) they shout at the security" and they (ie the security\) dont like it!!! <deleted> you couldnt make it up really so basically ignore any rules they dont get enforced oh and its G4 but we mustnt mention names must we.

Thakfully they arent looking after my gold bullion :lol:

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always believe in being a good tenant as I am also an owner of my apartment which I have rented out back home. I continued the same pattern here in Bangkok, Thailand. We've been pleasant, courteous, no fuss, no noice; I have even been cleaning the apartment myself sometimes whenever the maid service they provide (that I have to pay for) is below standard. I don't speak Thai, so I'm not able to speak to the maid directly. But that's just a part of me treating the apartment like it's my own.

Now suddenly the landlord is refusing to return our deposit of over US$2000!!! I always thought the people at PT Court on Rangnam Road were decent and honest, until now. They came to inspect the apartment and only 'found' one fault...a tiny spot on the dresser...as a reason to withhold our deposit!!!! The dam_n woman (Manager of PT Court) is pointing to the one little spot that was there when we got there...I know because I 'help the maid' to clean the place...the landlord is saying we need to get carpenter to fix it!!! At first it seemed there were some scratches on it, but it turned out it's my son's toy that rubbed on it, so we cleaned it. We called them back to show them that all is well that all the 'scratches' were gone, but because they want to keep our money they are pointing to that little spot. I even took a photo of it which I plan to show the other tenants to point out and warn them of the pettiness of the landlord at PT Court.

They know we're leaving this Saturday so they're trying to stall the time, so that we leave without getting our deposit. And she's claiming as one of the reasons, the boss is not there to sign the cheque! So we said, give us something in writing that we are to receive our deposit at x time....boss is not available to sign that either!!!! Can you believe that? We've always paid our rent on time, sometimes the very same day we get the bills, so it is unexpected that they are treating us this way now!thA spot that was there from the start, My husband is so upset and so am I!!! Normally we'd live out our deposit, but this time we didn't thinking there would be no issue. But we're planning to go to the tourist police this evening to warn them, as we have warned the landlord, that if our deposit is not returned, we will do damage to the apartment worth over US$2000!!!

Deposit, guarantee, commission, advance.....all expressions often used in a wrong way and all with a different meaning.

Whatever the amount of money apart from the rent is meant for, you must be clear about what it is for.

Make clear that in the contract is mentioned why this amount is charged and what it is charged for.

Usually a tenant pays 1 or 2 months guarantee and 1 month rent before moving in. Rent is due on the 1st of next month.

The guarantee is meant to cover expenses which remain after moving out (e.g. utility bills, damages, etc.)

Thai landlords do have some kind of unwritten rule of never paying back the guarantee-money, that's why I rather use the services of foreign landlords.

Sometimes, agents charge 2 months guarantee; one of those 2 months will be kept as commission and you will never see that money back.

In case of more expensive houses, you'll pay 2 months deposit, often THB 100,000 which will be used as a down payment on a car........happy landlord coffee1.gif

If I move out, I do have all the receipts of all utility-bills, receipts of aircon-maintenance and cleaning and receipts of eventual repairs (up to THB 500 is my problem). Until now, I always left a house, room in a better state and never a problem. (knock on wood).