How To Adjust Desk Fan Speed?

jko

I have a 250V 56W desk fan which on its slowest setting is much too fast, and nearly goes into orbit at maximum. Does anybody know how I can adjust this - perhaps with an easily bought electrical gadget in CNX? A light dimmer doesn't work. Grateful of somebody can turn this problem into breeze!

Are you trying to reduce the airflow because it is too strong of is it the speed of rotation itself that is the problem, i.e. vibration or noise?

If it's just airflow then have you tried attaching thick card to the back of the fan cage to limit airflow in and therefore out? You'll have to experiment to avoid increase in noise. Be careful not to obstruct any airflow through the motor housing as this will lead to overheating.

The simplest fans just switch a different value capacitor to alter the speed. Most fans are three phase induction motors, that is a motor with three windings which are probably commoned at one end. A supply has to be fed onto each of those windings to make the motor turn. The frequency of the supply determines the rotational speed. As the domestic supply is only a single phase with two wires this leaves an extra wire that needs a supply from somewhere. This can be obtained by connecting one end of a capacitor to your main supply and the other end to the unconnected motor connection. This will give a phase shift in the voltage waveform which will simulate the extra phase supply. By changing that value you can alter the degree of phase change which will alter the speed of rotation (within certain limits). If this is the case with your fan then by checking the values you should be able to work out a rough value for a slower speed. If those values are not available then by connecting capacitors in series you reduce the overall value and in parallel you add the values. The capacitors must be suitable for 400V A.C. and also suitable for use as a 'motor run' capacitor. Please be aware that these capacitors can store an awful lot of energy and they bite very hard, even lethally.

in order to adjust speed for a motor for AC motor , you would need a " INVERTOR " not sure if it would work for a Fan , i got one for fun to adjust speed of a 5 HP motor i got for some hobby i have .

the cost of a Invertor is about 8000 - 15,000b if you need one i can get it at very good price .

. then again . if you going to that extent , get yourself a air-con .

but if you are like me who hate air-con .

you can try playing with the distance . or blowing it onto the wall and let it rebounce .

good luck .

i buy only HATARI fan

Why not simply move the fan far away or point it at a near by wall? Either way would let you get air movement without gale force winds blowing on you. And you still have the option for moving it back and forth as the weather changes and the temperatures go up and down.

Worst case, your desk is in the middle of the room among other people and can not do either of the above. Put the fan under the desk pointing at a solid part (e.g., the back, side, or center drawer) and let the significantly reduced moving air come up from below?

I'm grateful to all those who offered suggestions - much appreciated.

This desire comes from an ancient Toshiba desk fan I once had with a minimum setting which provided something like a gentle current of air coming in an open window. It was totally silent, did not blow papers away, yet provided a lovely cooling effect - just great for either for working or sleeping when it was hot, but not too hot. Wonder why current manufacturers don't cater for this? If anybody knows a make/model with this nice option, please pass on the details. Thanks again folks.

Jko, you could try using a step-down transformer like the kind to run US 120v appliances from a 220v outlet. Just be sure to use one rated in power at least as much as the fan draws (56W or higher rating). It will cut the fan speed in half.

Edited by ThaiWx

I'm grateful to all those who offered suggestions - much appreciated.

This desire comes from an ancient Toshiba desk fan I once had with a minimum setting which provided something like a gentle current of air coming in an open window. It was totally silent, did not blow papers away, yet provided a lovely cooling effect - just great for either for working or sleeping when it was hot, but not too hot. Wonder why current manufacturers don't cater for this? If anybody knows a make/model with this nice option, please pass on the details. Thanks again folks.

I wonder if the Dyson Air Multiplier (or a copy!) is available over here. No blades so no air chopping or buffeting.

dyson.co.uk

Rgds

I wonder if the Dyson Air Multiplier (or a copy!) is available over here. No blades so no air chopping or buffeting.

dyson.co.uk

Rgds

I have seen one in electronic plaza / Siam TV, I forget the price although I believe I did cough at the time!

I'm with jko. It would be so nice to find a fan with the slowest speed actually running slowly and quietly. Like always, I have to remind myself that this isn't Kansas.

Ceiling fans can usually turn quite slowly and quietly and still be effective. I have a teakwood blade one and it's the best ever.

Typically it's just a matter of ripping out that horrendously bright central fluorescent circle light thing and put a fan there in stead. Then put sensible lighting elsewhere.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I'm with jko. It would be so nice to find a fan with the slowest speed actually running slowly and quietly. Like always, I have to remind myself that this isn't Kansas.

Ceiling fans can usually turn quite slowly and quietly and still be effective. I have a teakwood blade one and it's the best ever.

Typically it's just a matter of ripping out that horrendously bright central fluorescent circle light thing and put a fan there in stead. Then put sensible lighting elsewhere.

That's exactly what I did when I first moved into my house 5 years ago.

I'm guessing the motor life on my current fan has a couple of years on it before It need replacing but where did you get your ceiling fan with a teakwood blade from? .

This has helped me decide, I'm moving to Chiang Mai.

Judas. Have you thought this thru fully? If this ®evolving subject has really turned you on and flicked all the switches, have you thought of how you will slow yourself down?

You may have to stand in the corner or hide under the desk to lessen your impact. Or maybe you can ask the RPM (Revolving People Moderators) to ban or control you for a while.

Hope this helps before you arrive and get cought up in a tempest.