Alcohol!

h90

today in the morning I found 2 emails I wrote in the night, which are bullsh*t, and worse I have no, not a little bit of remember that I wrote them.

That means if I don't want to make myself to an idiot, I should stop drinking.

I heared there is a drug, once you eat it, you can not drink alcohol, because after a very small amount you feel very bad. It is used to support people who want to stop drinking.

Does anyone know the name of it and where to get?

There is a drug which is prescribed to alcoholics which will make the taker very sick if even a small amount of alcohol is ingested.

I would think this is used as a last resort, and if you feel you have a problem and want to get help then contacting the local AA or similar would be a better start.

totster :o

It's called "Antabuse" and can be got at most hospitals.

Also has some quite serious side effects like liver damage.

Also their have been a lot of deaths, as it does make you very sick when mixed with even a small amount of alcohol.

Didn't work in the longrun with me. If you want more info, feel free to PM me.

Alternatively, www.aathailand.org

liver damage does not sound good......

for the beginning I'll not drink alc for 1 week  :o

Been there - done that...

Go to AA - just check it out, they are a friendly bunch & you don't have to go again if you don't like it.

Go to hospital & get your liver & kidneys checked out too.

Do not take any medication whatsoever until your liver has been OK'd

last liver check not too long ago, was excellent :-)

will try it without the AA first.

But now I successfull stoped smoking, no I stop drinking, sex well I am married.....

Where is the pleasure?

liver damage does not sound good......

for the beginning I'll not drink alc for 1 week  :o

Been there - done that...

Go to AA - just check it out, they are a friendly bunch & you don't have to go again if you don't like it.

Go to hospital & get your liver & kidneys checked out too.

Do not take any medication whatsoever until your liver has been OK'd

h90: "will try it without the AA first.

But now I successfull stoped smoking, no I stop drinking, sex well I am married.....

Where is the pleasure?"

Substance abuse is mostly mental and drying out is the easy part. AA works on the mind, which is were the root cause originates and which takes the work.

Your question about "where the pleasure is?" is my point exactly. That question will be answered to your complete satisfaction in AA and not in a hospital or a pharmacy.

Substance abuse is mostly mental and drying out is the easy part. AA works on the mind, which is were the root cause originates and which takes the work.

Your question about "where the pleasure is?" is my point exactly. That question will be answered to your complete satisfaction in AA and not in a hospital or a pharmacy.

Very true words!

I could always stop easily but it was the staying stopped that was difficult, in fact impossible by myself. Usually a month or less after I stopped I would forget how miserable it was when i drank. As soon as I asked for help I managed.

Doctors and treatment centres never worked, it was only when I talked to ather alkies that I managed, and you know, i am having more pleasure now by far than i ever did have when drinking!

Good luck, bro. :o

sounds very true!

maybe I find a way here to start sport again, was really adictate to sport in my younger years.....

today without beer on my computer :o

Very true words!

I could always stop easily but it was the staying stopped that was difficult, in fact impossible by myself. Usually a month or less after I stopped I would forget how miserable it was when i drank. As soon as I asked for help I managed.

Doctors and treatment centres never worked, it was only when I talked to ather alkies that I managed, and you know, i am having more pleasure now by far than i ever did have when drinking!

Good luck, bro. :D

sounds very true!

maybe I find a way here to start sport again, was really adictate to sport in my younger years.....

today without beer on my computer  :o

Very true words!

Good luck, bro. :D

Listen to those guys - the whole problem is linking alchohol/other substance & pleasure. Many people can handle this but many people also link no alchohol & no pleasure (as you say yourself).

The fact that you have come onto this forum & told people you are worried about your drinking is a sure sign you have a problem.

I used spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about alchohol - usually starting to enter my head about 3pm at work each day. If it's on your mind a lot - that's a bad sign. There are people out there who simply don't think about alchohol until they are out with friends & they have a couple of drinks. I used to set up different friends each day of the week to go & get drunk with - no-one could di it every night ! At home - I'd simply have 6 large bottles of Heineken before bed each night. Not much by some Alchoholics standards but it was still killing me.

Go to AA - what exactly do you think you have to lose ? It's just a bunch of people in a room - they won't laugh at you if your drinking problem isn't extreme enough. You won't have to stand up & say anything, you won't even have to say 'I'm an alcoholic' - just go, tell them it's your first time & then sit & listen. Your total investment is going to be about 90 minutes of your time.

Considering the fact that you are considering taking dangerouse drugs like Antabuse, it seems to me that the 90 minutes would be a good investment.

Go to AA - what exactly do you think you have to lose ? It's just a bunch of people in a room - they won't laugh at you if your drinking problem isn't extreme enough. You won't have to stand up & say anything, you won't even have to say 'I'm an alcoholic' - just go, tell them it's your first time & then sit & listen. Your total investment is going to be about 90 minutes of your time.

Considering the fact that you are considering taking dangerouse drugs like Antabuse, it seems to me that the 90 minutes would be a good investment.

Mate, You have nothing to loose by going to AA but everything to gain. When you go to a meeting you will be surprised just how many people will understand what you are going through as they have already been down the same road. Dont play around with this thing it will either kill you or send you insane. I have sent you my phone number please give me a call.

This thread seems to be full of AA pushers!!! I think AA is great and if you need it its there to help.....but hey.....I quit drinking without AA and the OP should do whatever seems right for him/her....AA is a great option but not necessary for some....it is necessary for others....and it does no good at all for some people.

Just to try to defuse the flamers.....I think AA is great great great!!!! It is a valuable resource and its there for anyone who wants to work their program....no need to be intimidated about going...you are expected to NOT tell people your name or to reveal your identity...it is TOTALLY ANONYMOUS....you can go once and then never go again if you want....the whole thing is designed so as to be as unintimidating as possible. AA is great!!!...for some.

chownah: following your "labeling" of posters approach, perhaps as a "will power" advocate for curing alcoholism, you would share how you did it for OPs benefit, so he can try your approach, to see if it would work for him.

Although I suspect, he has tried "will power" already and it has failed him, as "will power" has likewise faliled all alccoholics who are in AA.

chownah: following your "labeling" of posters approach, perhaps as  a  "will power" advocate for curing alcoholism, you would share how you did it for OPs benefit, so he can try your approach, to see if it would work for him.

Although I suspect, he has tried "will power" already and it has failed him, as "will power" has likewise faliled all alccoholics who are in AA.

I suspect that I don't really know much about the OP so I really don't know if he/she's an alcoholic or not or whether he/she has much will power.

I either disagree with your view that will power has failed those who attend AA meetings. I believe that the ONLY way an alcoholic can quit drinking is with will power. It may be that AA helps someone to develop the will to quit. But I want to emphasize here that I do not know the OP well enough to determine if he/she is alcoholic or not.....if the OP doesn't know either then one way for the OP to find out is to go to a couple of AA meetings and find out...just go and ask everyone there how to know if you're alcoholic or not...you'll get lots of responses Im sure.

As to how I quit...I'm not sure....I guess I just spent many hours over many years thinking and analyzing my life and how drinking affected it.....after a while I realized that drinking really added little and took away too much....I guess I'm lucky that I have a lot of will power...some people even call me stuborn.

and here just a bit about "labeling". I studied cognitive psychology many years ago and they taught that one of the most important functions of the human brain is to create categories and to give labels to the things that our minds put into those categories. For example, when you see a cat you recognize it as a cat, but a cat can be a tiny newborn kitten or a huge lion. These two examples of cats are quite different in appearance and behavior but our minds categorize both of them as 'cats'. It is really a marvelous ability of our brains to do this. The ability to see diverse phenomena and to see a similarity and from this similarity to create a category for the things having that similarity is highly developed iln the human brain and is one of the basic cognitive abilities that underpin analysis and creativity. In a sense, "labeling" is an ability that is essential for the existance of the human psyche. The fact that you do not like the label I have put on to some here is the reason for your rebuke, not the act of labeling itself. I guess what I'm saying is if the shoe fits wear it and if not then forget it.

Edited by chownah

When I had an alcohol and drugs problem I decided to sort myself out and went to some teen help centre advised by my college. I turned up and felt an idiot because we were made to stand up one by one and say why we were there and what our problem was. After a few seconds I went to the toilet and never came back. But it was a bit of a wake up call to see people in there that had a worse problem than me and I may turn out like them.

I ended up getting a new bunch of friends and sorted myself out with their help and my motivation now I can drink without drinking too often and I don't do drugs no more.

Go to the AA if you're worried it will probably be loads better than the place I went to. Get family and friends to help you if you decide enough is enough too. Good luck to you :o