New Tires For The Vigo

jumbo

I do wonder why Toyota changed to Bridgestone boots, was it purely financial or was there more to it.

Toyota will have devised a minimum standard and offered a tender, so it's not a case of choosing the cheapest vendor, but rather the cheapest vendor that meets the published spec and can prove their ability to deliver the required quantity in a timely fashion. Michelin may have lost on any or all of the 3 points (quality, price, or ability to deliver). Bridgestone have a solid reputation of delivering the right product at the right price in the OEM world, so it's no surprise they won the contract.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

We've talked about this subject a lot in the past. I have same motor with 16 inch wheels that came with Michelin Cross Terrain tyres. I think they are good tyres,very little road noise and good grip all round, but depends if you go off road a lot. I do wonder why Toyota changed to Bridgestone boots, was it purely financial or was there more to it.

the 16 inchers use to come 50/50 michelin/bridgestones 2004-2008. When top model was specked with 17' late 2008, michelin was unable to deliver desired higher spec (better traction on paved road, lower noise level). since early 2010 both suppliers are in for 17' again

low end tyres(any size), bridgestone is often single supplier

Edited by katabeachbum

I need to replace my rear tyres now also.....how many K's did you get from yours ?

I like the All Terrain tyres, had them in Oz a lot, but I do not want any road noise and is seldom offroad, but still want some offroad ability even though obviously 95% of the time is spent onroad.

We've talked about this subject a lot in the past. I have same motor with 16 inch wheels that came with Michelin Cross Terrain tyres. I think they are good tyres,very little road noise and good grip all round, but depends if you go off road a lot. I do wonder why Toyota changed to Bridgestone boots, was it purely financial or was there more to it.

the 16 inchers use to come 50/50 michelin/bridgestones 2004-2008. When top model was specked with 17' late 2008, michelin was unable to deliver desired higher spec (better traction on paved road, lower noise level). since early 2010 both suppliers are in for 17' again

low end tyres(any size), bridgestone is often single supplier

Interesting. So what is the best 16 inch tyre. As l said, from my ride 2007, happy with the Mich but replacement is looming. :)

Dont know.

But both michelin and bridgestone have presented the mentioned 17" as 16" by now. Both good tyres at a reasonable price. However you could get 4 17" mags with brand new (from new truck trades) either brand at 20k baht.

Wow 45k aint much...I just hit 80k and the rears need doing, front are still fine for sometime.

So problem is to buy 2 of the same, or take all 4 off and try the All Terrain that I like.....

Has anyone else used the AllTerrain here ??

if its a 4x4 part time, all 4 need to be same diameter to avoid transfer case damage.

Wow 45k aint much...I just hit 80k and the rears need doing, front are still fine for sometime.

So problem is to buy 2 of the same, or take all 4 off and try the All Terrain that I like.....

Bridgestone All Terrain? Come in at least 3 different patterns and designs, so which one?

The one prior to late 2008 I found totally crap, still in use on DMax. I took delivery of 3 Vigo/Fortuner while Toyota still used them, and dealer was kind enough to swap to Michelin Cross terrain on one of them, the 2 others coming with michelins from factory.

The present 17" (now also avialable 16") is very good on road, and comfy and quiet, and according to Bridgestone just as good offroad. If you need model code, I ll check it :)

The Lattitudes are good, very comfy, the cross terrain is a looker and does well for incidental off road work. Michelin for comfort.

My2c

Katabb, I tend to partly disagree with your oem assesment. yes availability and minimum spec are two criteria, the third one is absolutely price, and especially is playing hard ball with that, resulting in other premium brands not even participating.

even the new kids on the block like Maxxis, Yoko and Sumi Dunlop cannot get into OEM for price reasons. So if there s only one main supplier for oem, it doesnt represent the highest standard, but probably the just enough standard.

Hak

Maybe because the Bridg's are Japanese, & they have gone off the Frenchie rubber!

I know they have factory in Northern Rangsit, so Bridgestone, perhaps easier logistics?.

Lots of the bloaters up here in Petch have Maxxis AT, Somchai knows! :ph34r:

So what make of tyre do you have now ?

Bridgestone Dueler H/T

if its a 4x4 part time, all 4 need to be same diameter to avoid transfer case damage.

Realise that....if I choose to replace only the rear, I will simply get the same tyre.

If I replace all, I shall consider the AT's

The Lattitudes are good, very comfy, the cross terrain is a looker and does well for incidental off road work. Michelin for comfort.

My2c

Katabb, I tend to partly disagree with your oem assesment. yes availability and minimum spec are two criteria, the third one is absolutely price, and especially is playing hard ball with that, resulting in other premium brands not even participating.

even the new kids on the block like Maxxis, Yoko and Sumi Dunlop cannot get into OEM for price reasons. So if there s only one main supplier for oem, it doesnt represent the highest standard, but probably the just enough standard.

Hak

agree, there are several good tyres out there, and some can be much better than OEM. In Europe all car manufactorers want to have at least 3-5 suppliers meeting minimum spec/performance and max price. Here they seem happy with one or two suppliers

The hard job is for us to test and find better tyres than OEM :unsure:

Buying OEM, you know what you get. Other tyres you have to rely on others experience on traction, comfort and noise, and really dont know much about lifetime

• 3 weeks later...

Transam, Kinda late I know, just saw your Post#12, 2010-11-19. Been using the BF Goodrich AT, 265/75x16R, made in USA. (Read somewhere they are now also produced in Thailand.) Been using this type tire only, on our 4X4 Vigo. On-road & off-road, a very good all-around tire, IMHO.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Purchased the Michelin Lattitude Tour H/P as advised by one user

and it is a great smooth ride.... pressure on 32 for now and it

is very comfortable...

You have probably made a good choice I liked my Bridgestone A/T duelers because of the looks but they were nosier than dueler H/T original tyres.

Take a look at Michelin Latitude Tour HP, they are a bit more expensive, but they are well worth your money.

I had the standard Bridgestone Duellers on my Vigo 4d4 and changed them after 50,000 km. After doing some research i decided to take the Michelin and I am very happy

with them. I can feel a big difference in braking power, grip and also there is a lot less tire noise compared to the Duellers. I fitted mine at Autobac on Naratiwas Rd. in Bangkok.

Purchased the Michelin Lattitude Tour H/P as advised by one user

and it is a great smooth ride.... pressure on 32 for now and it

is very comfortable...

Hehe I should have read the last post before replying... anyway excellent choice!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Went to price the Michelin Latitudes yesterday in town where we live.

Price ranged from 5800b to 8400b......the difference seemed to only relate to what warranty each shop offered, the lower none and higher 4 years or 50k.

A shop in Bkk said 8500.

Whats the deal with the huge price difference.

One shop had them in stock and they were 2 years old already.

• 3 weeks later...

Got my new tyres yesterday.....99k km's.....awesome.

Could not believe when they took them off and put in the back...measured the tread against new ones and they were roughly half way down......could have easily done another 20k on them.

but with the wet season, kids, distance done and 2 and half years old and 99k on them......had a good run, not one puncture, no leaks, still drove straight and true, no wobbles nothing.......incredible life and quality compared to past in Oz 15 years ago.

• 6 months later...

Has anybody made the switch on their Vigo 4x4 from the Michelin Cross Terrain to the Michelin Latitudes. If so did you notice any difference with road noise, steering etc etc. I currently have the Cross Terrains fitted which the our Vigo came supplied with in 2007.

Been looking at both and am swayed towards the Latitudes, seems to be more tread across more of the tyre, but I'm no expert for sure, 99% of my time is spent on road. We are a low mileage family, just pottering along between 90-100 kph normally. Prices I have been quoted are 6000 for Cross Terrain and 6500 for Latitudes both include fitting.

Is it worth paying the slight difference in price.

Best Regards

• 9 months later...

Today I became the proud owner of a Vigo 4x4 top model. It came with Bridgestone H/T 265/65/17. Drove straight to Chinatown Wongwieng 22 where the tyre shops are and changed them for Yokohama A/T-S 265/65/17" same size.

I will be going off road, hence buying a 4x4. Why on earth do they put H/T on a 4x4?

My Pajero 2010 had A/T tyres and was 2WD

The price to trade in my tires for the Yoko's was 8,800 I don't know if they're any better, they certainly have a more knobly appearance so should grip better in the mountain.

http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/detail/geolandar_a_t_s

Would have bought the BFGoodridge A/T but 17" where 10,500 each and I was only getting 4000 trade in for the Bridgestone H/T. So would have had the pay 26000 top up. So I settled for the 8,800 top up and Yokohama. Should be alright , they're a good brand just have a bit of a reputation for wearing out quickly.

Today I became the proud owner of a Vigo 4x4 top model. It came with Bridgestone H/T 265/65/17. Drove straight to Chinatown Wongwieng 22 where the tyre shops are and changed them for Yokohama A/T-S 265/65/17" same size.

I will be going off road, hence buying a 4x4. Why on earth do they put H/T on a 4x4?

My Pajero 2010 had A/T tyres and was 2WD

The price to trade in my tires for the Yoko's was 8,800 I don't know if they're any better, they certainly have a more knobly appearance so should grip better in the mountain.

http://www.yokohamat...geolandar_a_t_s

Would have bought the BFGoodridge A/T but 17" where 10,500 each and I was only getting 4000 trade in for the Bridgestone H/T. So would have had the pay 26000 top up. So I settled for the 8,800 top up and Yokohama. Should be alright , they're a good brand just have a bit of a reputation for wearing out quickly.

a

All knobbys wear faster than street tires, as do softer performance tires