Thai-Fication Of English First Name

Trevor25222

Well in all honesty; you're gonna be kinda screwed tryin' to get any name to actually end like it does in english with an 'r' sound. Not a single word in thai can end with that sound, and even the thai character for 'r' () morphs into a 'n' sound when it ends a word. I think the closest you'd get is using a silencing character on the final r like this ร์.

Actually just for fun I went to thai-language dot com and looked at their list of common foreign names in thai. This is what they had for Trevor; เทรเวอร์ (thaehnM wuuhrM), they even used that silencer the garan over the final 'r' so thais don't automatically change it to an 'n' sound.

I dunno and other more learned posters must weigh in. Possibly by using the consonant clusters ดร or ตร which are kinda like 'dr', or a 'dtr' sounds along with some vowel might word, but again far more cunning linguists :o than I must weigh in on this. ;)

A quick Google.th search of the thai spelling เทรเวอร์ turned up TONZ of hits, so it’s a good bet, that’s as close as it gets here. :whistling:

If that doesn't play well for you; do like every single thai in this country does and pick a 'nickname'. :D

Oh, and here's the link to the way thai-language spells it;

http://www.thai-language.com/id/153530

Good luck. :)

Edited by tod-daniels

If you want to spell your name in Thai, I concur that it's "เทรเวอร์", but as noted it will get pronounced "tay-WER"

Thavorn is spelled in Thai ถาวร, and is a common man's name. It's pronounced "tah-worn". (It's just spelled with "v" by convention, because it derives from the Pali word thāvara, which means "strong, immovable.")