Repeating The Celta/tefl

I have just completed a celta and did not do too will at all.

I was unable to process the information taught and so stuggled to produce the teaching methods demanded by the school. As a consequence, i was failed for three classes over the twelve week course. I may in fact fail the course in full. I will find out in several weeks, or however long it takes for the decision-making to finalise this process.

My query is:

I am very dissatisified with my inability to consistantly produce the kind of classes demanded by the celta school.

However, when i visited the school's other sites to observe their paid teachers, none observed taught in the methods demanded of my class mates or me.

Because the demands made upon us students were entirely different from the actual methods used in actual schools, I am very confused as to whether I should do a tefl course again or not.

My considerations of doing the tefl again centre upon the importance I hold for education. Because of this importance, I will not attempt to teach until I can do so adequately, even if this means doing the tefl again.

What do you think? Should I consider repeating the tefl if I pass the celta?

To repeat the tefl would only cost me some money and six weeks, whereas, should I provide students with inadequate classes, they may well pay for my inadequacy to a much greater degree.

edward

Whether you fail the Celta or not you get an A+ for honesty.

Have you received the letter from the training institution giving you an interim result ( fail, pass B or A).

If you've passed I don't think it would be worth doing again.

I will say this those forty minute Celta lessons with your lesson planned to the minute with you trainer and peers observing you is extremely nerve racking and is a lot more stressful than the real thing once your out there in the field.

I do not know of any teacher who plans their lessons to the precision required in the Celta course in their day to day duties.

Having said that you should commit yourself to continual improvement. Read the books by Schrivener and Harmer, read the teacher's books once you are presenting the courses (I am amazed at how many teachers fail to do this). If you can, sit in on more experienced teachers. You have the right attitude.

Taking the Celta for me was very much like the driving test. Every move is scrutinised and you only really learn once your out on the road/in the classroom.

Alternitively take the text and taklk course once in Thailand to give you a wider perspective on teaching. I haven't done it myself but those people I do know that have taken it seem to think it was a good course.

T&T will let you repeat if you fail (as will other local providers I think). I truly don't understand why the CELTA doesn't do this....it seems fair to me???

Keep trying and where there's a will there's a way. The CELTA IMO isn't geared towards teaching here really and is far more 'academic' than it needs to be in the 'real' world. Although Wan makes a wicked point....it is like a driving test (copyright Bruce V.) you really start to learn when you're doing it, but it's good to know at the very least......how NOT TO teach! :o

All the best mate whatever your decision is!

And kudos for honestly!

I will agree with pretty much everything Wanraya has said. Insideleft, don't lose hope. If you passed all four written assignments and did ok on all the other lessons you might still pass. They are supposed to tell you at the middle of the course if you are going to fail or not. So if at the end you had all your paperwork in order and everything filled out, you should do alright. I had studied for it hard in the months before I took it; reading the suggested books. The observation and monitoring of my lessons by the instructors is what really rattled me. I had never been observed before and it was nerve racking. With all my preparation and teaching experience I received a PASS. No PASS B, certainly no PASS A. I think only one or two out the 16 got a PASS B. This shows its legitimacy and high standard among other courses. It's not for the weak for sure.

It is geared toward teaching in Thailand. 90% of the practice students are Thai.

However, like someone said, the lesson plans they have you produce are far too detailed and unrealistic under real conditions, but at least you learn how to write lesson plans.

I wanna say thanks for the responses, including the personal mail, I have received in this thread.

I was feeling crushed from my experience with the celta, but am heartened by the underlying encouragement in all of your feedback.

Thank you Edward