Honda Facts

visions

Watched a doco on TV this arvo...about Honda Motorcycle. Cant remember all the stats now dam_n it........but here is a few....incredible story all the way thru the doco.

Wish I could have recoreded it. Mr Honda had only primary education and served an apprenticeship as a motor mechanic.After the war in 1948 he registered his company Honda Motor Cycle with something like US$2500. Started adding small motors to push bikes. (series "A") 1949 released first true motorcycle The Honda Dream (series "D") 1953 (I think from memory) he publicly stated that he was going to win the world Motorcycle Championship and entered Isle of Man with 4 bikes. He didnt win ...but everyone was amazed all 4 bikes finished...an unheard of thing in those days. Created the inline 4.... reving to 14000 rpm 1954 He (his bikes) won the Isle of Man. Introduced the NSR 250 and 500 2T (148HP ) (cant remember the year) and wiped the field, with "Freddy Speed" (nik name) winning both the 250 and 500 class that year. Only time n history a single rider has won in 2 different classes same year. 1963 (I think) he introduced Honda to USA where bikes were regarded as for crims or cops only.1965 he had captured 50% market share. Introduced the Honda Cub in the USA which was a major success story.

Did it with an advertising slogan..."You meet the nicest people on a Honda"

The Honda 1000RR takes.......3600 seconds to assemble including the engine from the parts and gearbox!!! Thats what the assembly line rotates at so every bike is the same. make 850 a day!! The Honda Goldwing in 25 years production/sales totals OVER 500,000 bikes! Biggest pity now is.....Mr Honda is not around now to stir Honda Thailand into some action!!!<BR clear=all>

visions, do you have the name of the program, will see if I can download it...

Was on Discovery channel 20. 1 hour program...really was very good. I could only briefly state a few main points. My memory isnt so good anymore :(

Only a fluke I saw it as I was switching channels and hit the wrong button.

Just checked I cant see a re run today but didnt check other days.

Is this the one ' twist the throttle' some play, others say not available in your area

sorry took me too long to work out how to post the link this way, there are about 8 parts as well as other companies

Edited by steve187