Best Way To Travel Cm- Vientiane -Cm

ZL1DD

We had the bus from hel_l Udon Thani-CM on CHACKRAPRONG "VIP" Bus. Seems none of their buses true VIP. Our bus old, four seats across, toilet stinking and filthy, driver incompetent, near loss of control on many corners.No food or comfort stops, although bus stopped many times for no apparent reason. Will not travel with them again. Any advice re alternatives, maybe CM-Kohn Kahn-Udon Thani? Or maybe safer and better to go to Bangkok, then fly to Vientiane. Would be grateful for any suggestions Barry

I flew nok air to udon thani for about 1500 return ; then just take a bus or a taxi to the border, then bus or taxi to vientien on the otherside, not expensive or long too much. Can be in loas same day leaving cm, stay over a couple days to do visa and come back, not such a big mission like the long bus alternative and not to much more pricey.

Cheers

I flew nok air to udon thani for about 1500 return ; then just take a bus or a taxi to the border, then bus or taxi to vientien on the otherside, not expensive or long too much. Can be in loas same day leaving cm, stay over a couple days to do visa and come back, not such a big mission like the long bus alternative and not to much more pricey.

Cheers

Nok Air has discontinued its CNX to Udon flight.

Drive! 8-9 hours door to door, Cm to Nong Khai. Nice scenery too!

Can you please advise the route that you take ?

Take highway 11 south from Chiang Mai to Phitsanulok, approximately 4.5 to 5 hours, some construction south of Den Chai. At Phitsanluok top off fuel tank as fuel can be spoty on the next leg. Pick up highway 12 east at Phitsanulok and head east threw the national forest and parks, fantastic drive, good 2 lane mountain roads to Chum Phae, about 2.5 hours. At Chum Phae take 228 north to Nong Bua Lamphu and then 210 to Udon Thani, about 1.5 hours.At Udon take highway 2 north to Vientiane, about 1 hour.

Thanks for the info.

Shame; have other routes closed too?

Cheers

Nok Air has discontinued its CNX to Udon flight.

Can you please advise the route that you take ?

Take highway 11 south from Chiang Mai to Phitsanulok, approximately 4.5 to 5 hours, some construction south of Den Chai. At Phitsanluok top off fuel tank as fuel can be spoty on the next leg. Pick up highway 12 east at Phitsanulok and head east threw the national forest and parks, fantastic drive, good 2 lane mountain roads to Chum Phae, about 2.5 hours. At Chum Phae take 228 north to Nong Bua Lamphu and then 210 to Udon Thani, about 1.5 hours.At Udon take highway 2 north to Vientiane, about 1 hour.

Thanks for the route map. I plan on driving up there soon, and i will need to leave the car on the Thai side for a couple of days. Does anyone know of a secure car park either at Nong Khai, or closer to the border.?

I prefer Route 11 to Uttaradit then through Nakorn Thai to Dan Sai then towards Loei but shortcut to Wang Sapungthen to Nong Bua Lam Phoo to Udon Thani then up to Nong Khai. Can't remember the road numbers off the top of my head. :)

I did it two weeks ago and the roads are in good condition. The stretch between Nong Bua Lamphoo is a pain as it's only single a carridge way and it hard to overtake. I left a 4:30pm from Nong Khai and arrived in Chiang Mai with a half hour break, so 8 hrs driving time. I don't do more than 120kph either.