Criticism Of Sponsors

fridgemagnet

I've just had a post removed due to it containing a criticism of one of your sponsors.

Kinda defeats the whole idea of a forum, don't you think? Banning free speech.

Can this indecently venal rule be put to a vote, by the Thaivisa members, or is it an exercise in protectionism, writ in stone?

Interested to hear your reply, and hope (against hope) that it won't be as vacuous as I expect.

Thaivisa - have some pride.

Experience shows that most people will not pay to access a website. A forum of this size cannot be run off a simple $3mo hosting package, it takes multiple dedicated servers with 24/7 monitoring. These sponsors pay the bills for those servers that give you a place to speak at all in the first place, and for that reason they deserve a little respect. If you have a serious issue with a sponsor you can contact sales@ with your concerns, or contact the sponsor directly via PM or email.

One more thing. We try to keep what we consider unfair complaints about any business, sponsor or not, off the forum as it's too easy to be abused by competitors or others with personal beefs. If everyone posted under their real names with contact details it might be different, as it wouldn't be an anonymous username attacking someone who is identifiable.Thai laws on defamation, which are very strict, must also be taken into account.

An example of counter productive and unfair criticism is being displayed under the banner of TripAdvisor at present, competitors are posting wrong and inaccurate information regarding certain proprietors that are having significant effect on their business.

If it is unjust, unqualified and specifically directed at trying to impugn their reputation it cannot be right, however if it is justified it should be aired.

The problem with this arrangement is control and investigation, it takes up resources, this is a free forum in monetary terms, striking a balance is both difficult and time consuming.

As long as there is a free and impartial investigation of complaints, I cannot see, personally another way way forward.

Several weeks ago a customer in my store demanded a big discount on a book that he claimed was pirated. My staff refused as it was a beautiful edition in perfect condition and an original book. The customer kept arguing with them until they eventually got me and I looked at it and could see that it was not a copy and I told him so.

A few days later he put a disparaging post on Thai Visa stating that I was selling pirated books as originals as well other insults. I complained and it was removed.

Unfortunately, Thai Visa has to sort out misguided people like this as well as jealous competitors and the just plain hateful and avoid allowing anyone to print anything libelous.

The blame does not belong on Thai Visa, but on people who write dishonest posts for their own reasons and ruin it for the honest ones.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Its fairly obvious when a sponsor is posting to promote their business. As such you can read the post with as much of a pinch of salt as is neccessary.

Personally I wouldn't take any one opinion of a place as gospel.....usually from reading a thread worth of comments you can draw a reasonable conclusion. That is most of the posters here are fair and reasonable.....

When they stop taking the piss for long enough that is! :D

I've just had a post removed due to it containing a criticism of one of your sponsors.

The date of that was 2010-11-07 so not exactly "just removed". Also, the above is discussing a moderator decision and against forum rules and your last post making the same statement that the other was removed for.

//Closed//