Burning A Vcd To Play On A Dvd Player

smo

I have made a video file from Windows XP movie maker - a wmv file i think - and tried to put it on a CD to play on a DVD. Using Nero Rom and choosing the VCD option, I ended up with a CD that only plays on my computer. When I put it in a home DVD player, it couldn't play :o

What did I do wrong? Any options I should have used? Please help before I make more coasters than I can use, as we "speak".

Thanks in advance for your valuable advice. Also any suggestions regarding other burning software will be much appreciated. Will I fare better with Easy Cd creator?

smo

Suggest you get hold of Nero Vision Express............it/ll convert any data file etc to DVD for playing on a standard DVD player.

It takes approx 3hours (Avi file) to transcode the streams and burn per 2 hour movie.............i/m on burning the Battle of Britain at the moment.

Edited by thaiflyer1

I´m not sure about the way you use Nero Express.

Most of the time, when you can only see the video in your computer, it means you merely copied the file, but you did not "convert" it so it can be played in a DVD player. If the format of your files is MPEG or similar, that might be the cause.

Regarding other software, I use Cucusoft, which firstly converts the file into an MPEG file(Cucusoft converter) and then burns it into a DVD (Cucusoft burner). Also you have the options of including subtitles if you are interested.

Bull

Did you solve your problem ?

No, I'm still grappling with it. And yes, my DVD player plays VCDs. The guy at the software store burned it for me using Nero but the program turned down the resolutions to 320x480 thus the picture quality is not really acceptable. Another try got the video to show up on the TV screen in black and white with lots of flickering, I must have chosen the NTSC format out of habit but where I am right now (in VN) it's PAL. I would have to look for a program other than Nero, that leaves the resolutions alone before I continue.

I will try the CUCU... program if I can find it. Window Media Player also burned it in the HIGH-MAT format but my DVD player did not support that, so another coaster!

Thanks for all the friendly advices so far.

smo

It has to be rendered into m-peg 1 files for VCD. No problem using Nero to burn it. I havnt used the Windows program for capture and render but my guess is that you need to change a setting to render it into m-peg 1.

Regular VCD is 320x240 FIXED you can't change it.

SVCD is 320x480 FIXED.

If you want hi res you need to go to DVD.

Thanks for the facts, so now I can RIP (rest in peace). My current pet peeve is the SVCD plays on the DVD player but doesn't on the PC - Windows Media Player keeps "connecting" when I click on the Play button. How come? If I can get that to work then life would be complete for the moment.

BTW the videohelp link is a godsend, so much info I don't even know where to begin. Thanks a million,

smo

Regular VCD is 320x240 FIXED you can't change it.

SVCD is 320x480 FIXED.

If you want hi res you need to go to DVD.

Thanks for the facts, so now I can RIP (rest in peace). My current pet peeve is the SVCD plays on the DVD player but doesn't on the PC - Windows Media Player keeps "connecting" when I click on the Play button. How come? If I can get that to work then life would be complete for the moment.

BTW the videohelp link is a godsend, so much info I don't even know where to begin. Thanks a million,

smo

I'll have a shot at this. You are obviously burning your SVCDs correctly as your DVD player is happy with them. :o

SVCD is not a globally recognised standard, it was developed by the Chinese to let them use the high quality MPEG-2 codec (like DVD) but burn / press on regular (cheap) CD blanks which could then be played using (cheap) regular CD drive hardware. It caught on all over Asia.

I think that you need to install some sort of DVD player software to get Media Player to play SVCDs (it needs to recognise an MPEG-2 codec). I'm pretty sure my PC does play SVCD, unfortunately I've not got one around to try. If you've not got a DVD player software installed get one of the shareware ones (or a demo version) and see if it fixes the problem.

Let us know either way.

BTW. You don't need a DVD drive in order to install the DVD player software, obviously you won't be able to play DVDs without one, but that's not the current issue.

Edited by Crossy

After rummaging around in my collection, I've found an SVCD.

Media Player DOES play it. I have got Power DVD installed, so I suspect that Media Player is picking up the MPEG-2 codec from that.

I guess that it's a fairly short movie (ie not LOTR).

Nero does have the option of making a 'mini-DVD' - it's a DVD format disc that is burnt onto a CD. You get good quality at the expense of playing time.

I'ven't got much sleep lately as it is because of this and now you're suggesting making mini-DVD on a CD? That;s BIG news. Well, I've got to try that out. You said Nero would do that, hmmmm...Yes, mine is a short slide show, topping at 8 minutes.

Now guys, especiall Crosby, I have something for you: The guy at my software store recommends Proshow gold 2.5. Painfully slow, clunky interface you name it, user-punishing software...but, and this is a BIG but: it will do XVCD or XSVCD. Whatever the name, the resolution is 756x548 if memory serves me right. The video will be rendered to MPEG2 format which Media Player CAN read as opposed to SVCD (which my PC can't still read its MPEG2 file). The result shows up on TV excellent, probably pushing the capacities of the CD. On the plus side, Proshow also imports whatever you drag in.

On the PC, for better or worse depending on how you look at it, Proshow can add on an autorun that included its own "presenter" that will show the video in better shape than Media PLayer does; how it does that I guess it's proprietary... However when you tag on this feature then the DVD player can't read the disc. Moreover, the audio track would get out of synch quite often, my guess that's the hardware area.

Thank you everyone for very helpful information,

smo

The way I do things:

1. Use tmpgenc to convert any AVI files to mpeg1 or mpeg2, whatever resolution is relevant.

2. Use tmpgenc dvd author to author a DVD, using the created mpeg files.

3. Burn to DVD.

I suggest that you buy a DVD writer.. they're pretty cheap these days. You can then burn a good quality DVD that's compatible with players and computers.

The way I do things:

1. Use tmpgenc to convert any AVI files to mpeg1 or mpeg2, whatever resolution is relevant.

2. Use tmpgenc dvd author to author a DVD, using the created mpeg files.

3. Burn to DVD.

I suggest that you buy a DVD writer.. they're pretty cheap these days.  You can then burn a good quality DVD that's compatible with players and computers.

Unfortunately I'm in VN right now where a DVD writer, or most hardware for the matter, is prohibitely expensive. I wish I had brought with me the many writers laying around at home in the States. :o I appreciate that most of the folks who responded confine the issue to that of a CD, not a DVD. Thanks anyway.