Are Swedish Tour Operators Covering Up The Threat Of Deadly Jellyfish In Thailand

webfact

" threat of deadly jellyfish in Thailand":cheesy:

You found the emoticon section then, but have you seen this one :jerk:

Hardly a laughing matter, numb nut; they've always been lurking here, particularly at the top end of the Gulf... with a bit of luck you'll discover one some day.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No offense to those stung, but the notion of a police cover-up is a little silly. The nasty creatures are pretty much an annual phenomenon, and tour and guest house operators frequently warn swimmers when the jellyfish are seen about. West Coast of Florida -- now those are nasty jellyfish. And tourism sources don;t breathe a word.

No offense to those stung, but the notion of a police cover-up is a little silly. The nasty creatures are pretty much an annual phenomenon, and tour and guest house operators frequently warn swimmers when the jellyfish are seen about. West Coast of Florida -- now those are nasty jellyfish. And tourism sources don;t breathe a word.

Yet another post by someone who has come to the thread late and has no grasp on what is going on - who said "police cover up??"

Quite true. So which part of Humility, manners, kindness, respect, tolerance did you not understand?

Respect is something you EARN

Yes, but you should start off with the assumption that someone has earned a little respect to date, rather than offer no respect and chastise everything.

As for kindness and tolerance, I don't believe these are strong points of yours... but if that's how you are, that's how you are.

As for humility, manners... does one have to earn the right to be treated with these too? I'd suggest not.

Really, whether if know something (it sounds like you might) and want to get your point across, you'd do well to take note of this post.

:jap:

I have been swimming here for 20 years, must have missed something... I bet it's much more dangerous to cross the street

Not really a question of comparisons though is it? You swim OR you cross the road without full awareness of what's about you, especially here, then you are heading for problems. In Thailand, the land of 'sabai sabai', to counterbalance the general lack of good communication and sense of what's actually going on, we need to heighten our inate sense of awareness in pretty much everything or we're ******!!! This is without disprespect to the Thais, lots of good people, just part of their 'relaxed' identity I think. Apart from that, chill out, grab a beer and enjoy...!!! Chok Dee!! :wai:

“this is a post from someone who has spent a hour on Google and now thinks he knows enough about the topic to stick in a post”.

Diving instructor for 15 years and lived in nth QLd for 3 years.

Deeral seriously they can hunt but don’t have a brain so cant tell the difference from food and non food. Please explain the ‘thought process’ here.

55 deaths per year WORLDWIDE is not a big problem. I am not being dismissive of those that are but every business governments included need to prioritize. Surely even deeral can see that.

And my point AGAIN was that it was sensationalism how the heading mentioned Thailand however the story mainly discussed Malaysia.

And stingertale please at least read the post. 55 deaths PER YEAR. You only make yourself look really silly having a go at a statement and misquoting it. Clown. Also my first line was about the poor guy and stated nothing in my post was about him. READ.

“there was a sting on Koh Pha ngan in September and a woman was stung by something resembling irukandji but suffered chironex like symptoms” Really that would be the only case of any one ever beng stung by irukandji and identifiing it. They are so small “Irukandji jellyfish are very small, with a bell about 5 millimetres (0.20 in) to 10 millimetres (0.39 in) and the “The sting itself is only moderately irritating; the severe syndrome is delayed for 5–120 minutes “ so at the time of being stung (Or is that bitten Deeral?) you are unlikely to notice. So stingertale perhaps you would like to explain? Perhaps a case of mistaken Identity in the first place.

Finding out about jelly fish specifically in Thailand is difficult. There are 2 orders and six families of BOX jelly fish and the treatment for all is Vinegar and get medical treatment. I think it is safe to assume any BOX jelly fish that stings you in Thailand would be the same.

Bees kill more people in USA each year than sharks do world wide – I have been in the USA for over 9 months and never once saw a single sign about what to do in case of an “American” bee sting. Cover up?

G

why do people insist on comparing other dangers with this one?  

most people know the roads are dangerous, motocys, dont play with bees, etc. etc.  

many have no idea of the dangers of jellies  

that is why it should be exposed.  

kowjai?

Edited by kaorop

I have been swimming here for 20 years, must have missed something... I bet it's much more dangerous to cross the street

In August, 2002 we were swimming at Had Rin, Koh Phangnan, with our 2 year old. As we noticed the stings becoming more frequent, we got out of the water. An hour later a tourist on our same beach was killed by a jellyfish sting. The next day another one was killed. THEN they closed the beach to swimming.

I'm sorry, but its commonsense that there are jellyfish about. As it seems that people are able to use Google, then they should look up the peak periods for jellyfish and act accordingly.

Unfortunately, overfishing and habitat destruction have acted to reduce those animals that feed on jellyfish. Examples are sea turtles, spadefish, tuna, swordfish and sunfish. Many sea turtles die from ingesting floating plastic bags that they mistake for jellyfish. Please keep this in mind when the local Thai conservation groups and of course our friends at the RTN try to promote habitat protection and turtle populations.

I did have a chuckle at the the pospect of jellyfish "hunting" in packs. Who would have known that creatures related to coral and not fish, with no brains and a mouth that also acts as an anus could be so ummm intelligent. :lol:

I wonder if the local Governments in Thailand do some prior checks of the sea conditions before main sports events like the Triathlon they arrange in Phuket annually when a thousand athletes simultaneously jump in to the ocean! Could be nasty if the area was filled with any kind of Jellyfish.

Deeral, thanks for excellent information

Hua Hin, Jellyfish capital of Thailand.

I was in Hua Hin a couple of years ago and the beach was littered with jellyfish. It looked like it was safer in the water than on the beach. That doesn't leave many places to go, problem was even if I went into the bars I got stung.

PS. Watch out for the jellybabies.

Edited by Darkman

only fools listen to fools

Precisely. And you only listen to yourself....

There are lots of harmless jellyfish around all the time - they sting a bit for a short while, but no serious damage.

Cha-Am/Hua Hin has always had extremely poisonous jellyfish around during the rainy season - and they warned the tourists. Obviously there weren't too many of those jellyfish around - but there were a few, so there was always a chance that someone would be permanently scarred - even if you had to be unlucky.

The point is that dangerous jellyfish are moving South and are now known to be around Phuket. They are few and far between but a) they never used to be here and B) someone is going to be unlucky enough to encounter one - hence the deaths.

Rare, but they're happening.

The only way to get some of these Jellyfish off and some relief with vinegar. The resorts I used to stay at when you asked for vinegar they didn't know what it was when you spoke English but in Thai they knew. Just would like to say there should be a little safety training when people pay some big bucks sometimes to go on a holiday.

You won't get RELIEF with vinegar - it is not an antidote it prevents further injections.

THe pain is said to be excruciating.

THese are not just ANY jellyfish - yes there are plenty of jellyfish in the Andaman and the Gulf, but even the ones that sting are nowhere near as dangerous as the Box jelly - it is one of the most toxic venoms to humans that exists.

If the numbers are increasing or for what ever reasons "attacks" are increasing, tourists need to know about it.

BTW - if you are concerned, you can swim in "rash suits" (a la Thorpedo) or even wearing panty-hose over your torso and legs can offer protection!

Ice also helps and there are creams now on the market, but make no mistake the pain is excruciating and does not go away in 1 day. As i said in my previous post, when i was bitten on glans, i was crying like a little girl because the pain goes through your entire body, getting every single muscle, feels like body been pulled apart

THis is NONSENSE - if you are bitten by a box jelly you will probably die if someone administers ice to you as it will only increase the injection of venom....these are NOT the usual jellyfish!!!!after you are in te hands of a doctor then let them choose what to do.....and there's no guarantee in Thailand they will know as the govt etc have issued no guidelines. If you want to know what to do look up an Australian site.

I'd also like to know where in Thailand you can by "creams" for a box jelly sting - they don't "bite"

I am sorry but do you see me post that creams are available in Thailand? or do you see me refer to box jelly?

Do you see me anywhere specifying the details??

I am Australian, all my bites were in Australia and ice was the first thing beach guards put on me. I was stung underarm, if you do not know its a gland and also on my groin-my balls..

During my experience, sadly i did not have a chance to have a chat with jelly fish about its type and where it came from.

After having the ice, guys were nice enough to give me some cream, i guess they had some sympathy for me seeing as i was stung on my balls.

Next time, i will have a chat with a jelly fish and try to ask what kind it is prior to bite

There are different degrees of danger with the different types of jelly fish. As the seasoned swimmer pointed out earlier he swam around the white jelly fish, if there were darker ones around he wouldn't go swimming... so if there are "Box jelly fish" around even contemplating swimming is just crazy. Its the same with sharks or crocodiles. Would you swim in a lake with man eating crocodiles? Or swim at a beach which has great white sharks, tiger sharks or bull sharks? No, the authorities would close all swimming.

So you can liken a box jelly fish to swimming with great whites and tiger sharks while dragging around raw flesh. Your chances of survival are slim. Rather than discuss bandages for shark bites its better to discuss warnings and avoidance. Is all I'm saying.

Its one thing to be aware of regular jelly fish in the area and take your chances of a painful sting. If there are box jelly fish in the area... thats another matter entirely. So the question still remains. Are there box jelly fish in Thailand waters? where are they? And are the people swimming in those areas aware of the specific danger this species presents?

If tour companies are aware of this species in the area then that's criminal negligence if they dont properly inform swimmers. Could even be construed as manslaughter if they observed box jelly fish nearby and failed to cancel all swimming at the location and time if someone were to be stung and died as a result which is highly likely to happen if stung..

You dont tell someone there are box jelly fish around this area but dont worry we have vinagar. Most would never get a chance to use it. You dont tell people, we've seen some tiger sharks in the area, but never fear we've brought some bandages and band aids just in case.

I seem to recall that the local papers in Phuket a few months ago reported that the authorities were finding a few box jellyfish around the island..... And, a couple of tourists died.

It's still unusual and most people never see them - but for some reason it looks as if they're arriving.

One would have to be v unlucky to encounter them but, as I said before, its likely to get worse - not better.

Box jellyfish are anatomically different to the jellyfish people would be more familiar with. They hunt visually and will actively pursue fish and other prey.

The fact that fish are part of their diet is what makes them dangerous to us as fish are much more neurologically similar to us than invertebrates and their venom is refined to target them.

There is no given that a sting will kill, but it will cause severe localised pain and possibly permanent scarring. I forget the figure, but the likelyhood of death relates to the length of tentacle in contact. The ratio of body mass/sting length is similar in fish as well.

They also hunt along beaches dragging their tentacles over the sand and will withdraw them when approaching rocks. This means that when diving away from the beach, divers tend not to encounter them.

Vinegar is considered to be the best first aid remedy as it stops the nematocysts firing. Urine, alcohol etc will make it worse.

only fools listen to fools

Precisely. And you only listen to yourself....

There are lots of harmless jellyfish around all the time - they sting a bit for a short while, but no serious damage.

Cha-Am/Hua Hin has always had extremely poisonous jellyfish around during the rainy season - and they warned the tourists. Obviously there weren't too many of those jellyfish around - but there were a few, so there was always a chance that someone would be permanently scarred - even if you had to be unlucky.

The point is that dangerous jellyfish are moving South and are now known to be around Phuket. They are few and far between but a) they never used to be here and B) someone is going to be unlucky enough to encounter one - hence the deaths.

Rare, but they're happening.

+1 F1 :)

"this is a post from someone who has spent a hour on Google and now thinks he knows enough about the topic to stick in a post".

Diving instructor for 15 years and lived in nth QLd for 3 years.

Deeral seriously they can hunt but don't have a brain so cant tell the difference from food and non food. Please explain the 'thought process' here.

55 deaths per year WORLDWIDE is not a big problem. I am not being dismissive of those that are but every business governments included need to prioritize. Surely even deeral can see that.

And my point AGAIN was that it was sensationalism how the heading mentioned Thailand however the story mainly discussed Malaysia.

And stingertale please at least read the post. 55 deaths PER YEAR. You only make yourself look really silly having a go at a statement and misquoting it. Clown. Also my first line was about the poor guy and stated nothing in my post was about him. READ.

"there was a sting on Koh Pha ngan in September and a woman was stung by something resembling irukandji but suffered chironex like symptoms" Really that would be the only case of any one ever beng stung by irukandji and identifiing it. They are so small "Irukandji jellyfish are very small, with a bell about 5 millimetres (0.20 in) to 10 millimetres (0.39 in) and the "The sting itself is only moderately irritating; the severe syndrome is delayed for 5–120 minutes " so at the time of being stung (Or is that bitten Deeral?) you are unlikely to notice. So stingertale perhaps you would like to explain? Perhaps a case of mistaken Identity in the first place.

Finding out about jelly fish specifically in Thailand is difficult. There are 2 orders and six families of BOX jelly fish and the treatment for all is Vinegar and get medical treatment. I think it is safe to assume any BOX jelly fish that stings you in Thailand would be the same.

Bees kill more people in USA each year than sharks do world wide – I have been in the USA for over 9 months and never once saw a single sign about what to do in case of an "American" bee sting. Cover up?

G

G whiz .. i am gobbsmacked ..safe to assume hey hmmmmm safe to assume well there goes your credibility in 3 simple words .. diving instructor 3 yrs nth QLD, safe to assume with diving is it G? remind me not to go anywhere near your diving business .. 55 deaths per year is what you stated as fact in the first place without any reference and I simply questioned this as I have not seen this statistic and would like to know who collected this information and prepared this statistic for you to so readily quote as fact when we are talking all countries and remote places throughout the Indo-Pacific where G is this from? Now G please enlighten us all about Irukandji and how this would be the only case of self ID - really? - I am laughing as heartily as a clown now because this is a joke surely, have a closer look G at the cubozoan taxonomy from wiki you so readily threw at us like you have all your other obscure google know-it-all facts and ask the experts and learn a bit about Irukandji - yes there is a species around 10mm but there are others, big ones, those that did the damage at Langkawi were big Irukandji - confirmed by experts - no research has been done here so no-one is sure what is out there, new species of animals get discovered all the time, box jellyfish are not excluded, the victim on Koh Pha ngan received a bell sting also typically from carebdea/irukandji, the lesions were typical big Irukandji, the symptoms as you so eloquently quote from google were not typical they were like a big Chironex, ok? btw, your bee analogy says it all .. unbelievable! Any box jellyfish in Thailand that stings you is the same - what on earth? diving instructor? apiarist? pm me G and I will send you a scientific article on the different types of nematocysts in cubozoans as unfortunately you won't find with your google search habit .. the mind boggles ..

a few small clear jellyfish washed up>joking around ,friends threw some at each other>one must have stung me.iching,redness & itchy>saw a MD when it started to hurt ,throbbing>was given ( i think ,phenobarbital told not to drink alcohol)ache & itch continued,an off duty nurse looked & extracted a missed few stingers>after a few days all ok>just my encounter & reaction> ,unless there were swarms of these in the water,wouldn't hesitate to enjoy beach activity

There are a few posters who are getting a little personal in their attacks on others. This can result in a formal warning and a loss of posting privileges for a time. That would be a shame, since a number of posters have put a fair amount of work/research into their posts. So, let's take care not to comment about other posters.

You can disagree without getting personal.

Comparisons to bee stings, getting hit by a car and other situations isn't exactly accurate. Most people have grown up around traffic, for example, and know cars are very dangerous. Not everyone has grown up around the sea and know that jellyfish are dangerous, what to do about them or when/where to avoid them.

Thanks.

Indeed, this article is absolutely ridiculous. The video shows a "nearly invisible" one centimeter wide deadly Jellyfish that does not kill instantly, yet it is claimed that the poor person who died in Langkawi was attacked by a creature big enough to wrap its tentacles around the victim causing a quick death, which in my mind does suggest drowning. Highly irresponsible to accuse both the Malaysian authorities and the Swedish Tour Operators of a cover up with absolutely no evidence whatsoever. This really is sensationalism at its very worst.

First off it would appear from the original post that unless you are Swedish you have nothing to worry about anyway (how the jellyfish know your nationality is a mystery). jamesd has been watching too many B movies, the fact that the jellyfish tentacles were wrapped around somebody is because many jellyfish have long strand like tentacles that trail for many metres in some instances. These tentacles can even sting when detached from the host so it is easy so become entangled in these strands without noticing the presence of jellyfish in the area.

As for giving warnings it's a very difficult thing to do, the sea moves constantly with tides and currents so the jellyfish could be here one minute and gone the next. By the time you've spread the word or put out notices the problem may be gone. How can tour operators cater for that? 'Oh you want to book a holiday in Phuket in a months time, I'll just check on the long range jellyfish forecast' - come on be real don't rely on the nanny system, listen to the old adage 'look before you leap'. If you're going in the sea look around first, dead jellyfish on beach? people coming out of the water looking like they've just had the cat 'o' nine tails, listen for the screams (yes I've been stung and it bl**dy hurts - was on a night dive so I never saw them coming - cue Jaws theme tune).

I noticed a post about the jellyfish having eyes but no brains and hunting in packs, sounds like some of the hustlers on walking street but we all love to take the plunge there despite the dangers. Thailand is great but like all countries has it's dangerous side so it's up to you to educate yourselves before you visit. I can't see the government handing out flyers at the airport warning people about scorpions, snakes, jellyfish, sharks, spiders, fireants, tigers and the deadliest thing of all mosquitoes (kill millions a year) apologies to any nasty creepy crawly deadly things I missed out.

Just in closing I would like to offer my sympathies to those who lost loved ones, my post is not meant to offend but point out some realities.

THe Australian box jelly is SEASONAL.

If this is the same species or similar it very likely will be seasonal too.If it is moving into the seas in bigger numbers the authorities need to take note and inform tourists

THe box-jelly can swim quite strongly compared to other jellyfish - most of which are swimmers anyway.

Warnings are EASY - you just say that they might be in the area and provide fist aid kits on the beaches - that is VINEGAR.

All this is done in Australia.

People are well aware of most of the hazards of visiting the tropics, as the information is easily accessiblehowever most people are blissfully UNAWARE of the possible dangers of the Box Jelly. Just like any other risk, it needs to be publicised so that people can make their own decisions about it - that has not happened and there are deaths going back a long time attributed to these animals.

How many tourists in Thailand have died from the animals on your list your list? Jelly Fish have DEFINITELY killed yet the publicity and simple precautions are not in place.In fact I go as far a venturing to say that the Box Jelly fish has claimed more tourist lives than any of the creatures you mention.

Edited by Deeral

Warnings are EASY - you just say that they might be in the area and provide fist aid kits on the beaches - that is VINEGAR.

How many tourists in Thailand have died from the animals on your list your list? Jelly Fish have DEFINITELY killed yet the publicity and simple precautions are not in place.In fact I go as far a venturing to say that the Box Jelly fish has claimed more tourist lives than any of the creatures you mention.

I don't think we can compare Thailand with Australia, the latter has a very well established and organized lifeguard and rescue community. Thailand is very backward in this respect and I can't see them making a priority out of Box jellyfish. So they put up signs! what language would that be? I can imagine the English translation would end up as 'Please eat jellyfish with vinegar'. As for keeping stocks of vinegar at the beach, do you think they can organize that? probably someone would end up selling it to local restaurants. As for people dying from the animals on my list, I've certainly heard about as many scorpion, snake etc deaths as I have box jellyfish. If we take this to it's extreme why not suggest all high rise apartment blocks put up signs warning about jumping from your balcony could result in death, I must see at least 1 or 2 a week in the papers where people have fallen from their condo balcony. How about jet-ski and speedboat deaths, they can't even police the waters to stop crazy watercraft drivers, in fact it's nearly encouraged, get farang drunk and then rent them a jet-ski, far more deadly than a box jellyfish.

I don't think we can compare Thailand with Australia, the latter has a very well established and organized lifeguard and rescue community. Thailand is very backward in this respect and I can't see them making a priority out of Box jellyfish. So they put up signs! what language would that be? I can imagine the English translation would end up as 'Please eat jellyfish with vinegar'. As for keeping stocks of vinegar at the beach, do you think they can organize that? probably someone would end up selling it to local restaurants. As for people dying from the animals on my list, I've certainly heard about as many scorpion, snake etc deaths as I have box jellyfish. If we take this to it's extreme why not suggest all high rise apartment blocks put up signs warning about jumping from your balcony could result in death, I must see at least 1 or 2 a week in the papers where people have fallen from their condo balcony. How about jet-ski and speedboat deaths, they can't even police the waters to stop crazy watercraft drivers, in fact it's nearly encouraged, get farang drunk and then rent them a jet-ski, far more deadly than a box jellyfish.

Well meaning and some good points though I think you have to be careful when you say Thailand and Australia can't be compared then launch into box jellyfish comparisons with these other animals and balcony and jet ski incidents. Actually Australia was much where Thailand is now way back in the 1960s - a lot of work went into making northern Australia and its water-users safer. As you know those signs in Australia are mainly of a stick human being 'attacked' by jellies and while you are funny the Thais that would design and oversee the sign-making are smart English-speaking people and should not be underestimated (i'm being polite to you khun sysardman). Dye in Australian beach vinegar prevents any thievery or otherwise. And yes 'they' could organise that. Please let us know about the scorpian and snake etc fatalities as obviously there is a need for another thread and investigation from authorities and a concerted effort to promote awareness. Death from box jellyfish is very different to falling from a balcony or bungee jump or fast moving jetski - making people aware of box jellyfish is different - prevention and treatment is very specific - jetskis are simply another matter entirely and I believe you unnecessarily muddy the waters when you mix issues.

Your premises are virtually all incorrect and your conclusions are illogical and aren't really pertinent to anything in the thread.