New Ferry Service Links Trang And Langkawi

george

Ferry service links Trang and Langkawi

TRANG: A new ferry route between Thailand's Trang province and Malaysia's Langkawi island would boost the economy and tourism, said the Trang governor.

The governor, Naret Jitsuddajritwong, yesterday presided over the launch of the ferry route, operated by Thai-Langkawi Ferry Line Co, saying it would draw more tourists to the province and create jobs for local residents.

More than 200 passengers boarded the 250-seat ferry boat, worth 40 million baht, to Langkawi. The 90-minute trip will be available at weekends initially.

Source: Agencies 2003-12-08

wow... really?? it s must be very good then.. don't have to go down to Satun anymore...we actually thinking of going to langkawi before new year s eve, so if anyone could recommend a good place to say, it would be great.. not a fancy one though....

don't think you need a visa to malaysia anyway?? for us, thai can stay there for a month without a visa.. and for most of you guys,us citizens and citizens of commonwealth, i think you can stay up to 3 months without it...

:o

• 5 years later...
what 2 towns does it run between

My guess is Ta-Se Pier in Trang to Kuah.

don't think you need a visa to malaysia anyway?? for us, thai can stay there for a month without a visa.. and for most of you guys,us citizens and citizens of commonwealth, i think you can stay up to 3 months without it...

:o

Yes, visa 3 months on arrival. Malaysians are very flexible.

it is NOT a "Visa on arrival".

you get a Visa-exemption stamp, which entitles you (most Western nationalities) to a 90-day VISA-FREE stay.

by the way, I think this topic should be CLOSED, as it dates from year 2003 and is therefore MISSLEADING.

or, someone is willing to check the recent situation, and reports if this ferry is still running.

but better open a new topic, me thinks

• 2 years later...

you get a Visa-exemption stamp, which entitles you (most Western nationalities) to a 90-day VISA-FREE stay.

by the way, I think this topic should be CLOSED, as it dates from year 2003 and is therefore MISSLEADING.

or, someone is willing to check the recent situation, and reports if this ferry is still running.

I agree, should be closed. My heart skipped when I saw this thread's topic, then upon reading the year 2003 and lack of response as to whether it's still running, I'm a little disappointed. I have lived 2 hours from Trang, in Krabi Town, on and off since 2005 and have never, ever heard of this option for Langkawi or a "visa run". I'm soon heading to Langkawi for the first time and am figuring out how to get there. Great idea though, a via run that ends on a beach....wish it existed!

I agree, should be closed. My heart skipped when I saw this thread's topic, then upon reading the year 2003 and lack of response as to whether it's still running, I'm a little disappointed. I have lived 2 hours from Trang, in Krabi Town, on and off since 2005 and have never, ever heard of this option for Langkawi or a "visa run". I'm soon heading to Langkawi for the first time and am figuring out how to get there. Great idea though, a via run that ends on a beach....wish it existed!

Try this out;

http://www.langkawi-ferry.____......com/Home/Schedule.aspx#satun

Try this out;

http://www.langkawi-ferry.____......com/Home/Schedule.aspx#satun

Your link didn't work but lets face it, Trang to Saturn is not an onerous journey. Check out this link but advise ringing first to check times as they often alter especially during Ramadam.

BTW. Not surpised that the Trang ferry never worked out, much of the traffic on the Satun Langkawi route tends to be Malaysian s returning home from shopping trips to Hat Yai and Thai's doing business on Langkawi, relatively little tourism.

Same reason the Air Asia flights from Bangkok ceased. No problems for me, the place is a gem that hasn't gone the way of the Thai islands, long may it remain so. B)

http://www.langkawi-ferry.com/Home/Schedule.aspx#satun

Edited by roamer