Heroin Found In Dead Australian & American

george

Heroin found in dead Australian & American in Thailand

CHIANG MAI: -- Traces of heroin were found in the body of an Australian man who collapsed and died after a long drinking session in a Thai guesthouse bar in the northern city of Chiang Mai, police said today.

Charles Clayton Burgess, 38, of Western Australia, was found dead yesterday beside American tourist Scott Ray Sturgess, 42, of San Diego, California.

The pair had been drinking heavily and police initially thought the pair had died from alcoholic poisoning.

But today a police surgeon reported that heroin had been found in the nostrils and nasal tracts of the dead men.

Traces of the drug were also found on paper lying near the bodies at the Poombim beer bar and guesthouse owned by Mr Burgess.

Mr Burgess had been working in Chiang Mai as a trader, marketing souvenirs with his Thai wife. They were married in Thailand about a year ago.

Police Lieutenant Colonel Boonlert Jantanoodej said the two men had taken part in a heavy drinking session with other foreigners in the ground-floor bar.

They are reported to have started drinking at lunchtime on Sunday and were last seen still imbibing together 12 hours later.

Early yesterday a maid at the guesthouse found the men's bodies lying on the floor.

Chiang Mai is close to the Golden Triangle, the drug-producing region where the borders of Burma, Laos and Thailand meet, and the source of most of the heroin trafficked between the region and the rest of the world.

--AAP 2005-08-11

Probably not a bad bunch, but probably too strong, especially in combination with the alcohol.

Very sad for the survivors, but if I had to go, I guess that one sounds better than a lot of ways.

Confirmed my earliest suspicions regarding their heroin usage...

notwithstanding Moog's objection, may they rest in peace.

and in a related story, of some surprise, it seems the dealers are getting more creative in their drug transporters:

Published on August 11, 2005

LAMPANG BUST: Four students nabbed with 48kg of heroin

A major drug-trafficking gang in the North has been using dozens of university students as couriers, police said, following the arrest of four students on Sunday carrying 48 kilos of heroin.

Provincial Police Region 5 deputy commissioner Maj General Wut Withitanong, who used to teach part-time at several universities, said yesterday it hurt him to find some of his students among suspected drug traffickers.

The students said they were offered Bt1 million to deliver the heroin each time, as the drug could fetch a high price abroad.

Provincial Police Region 5 commissioner Lt General Panupong Singhara na Ayutthaya said the drug-trafficking gang had more than 100 members, mostly students lured into the illicit trade via several means. “We have been closely monitoring this gang’s movements for more than six months,” he added.

Panupong said hill-tribe people were hired to smuggle the illicit drugs from Burma into Thailand via Mae Hong Son. After that, university students were used to transport the drugs. Four students aged from 20 to 27 were nabbed with 48kg of heroin in Lampang on Sunday while en route to Bangkok.

Why do we have to feign dignified condolence to these two cheeseballs, who have now had at least 4 Thai Visa topics in their memoriam.

Moog, you don't speak for everyone; please don't say 'we have to feign dignified condolence '. Like all the other threads on TV just stay away if you don't like the content/message.

I knew Clayton and he had his problems. But he was a good-hearted guy and treated most people well and had many friends. I had many conversations with his wife and she was a good person as far as I could tell. I feel sorry for her and the family. 38 years old is too young to die. I agree he was doing something really stupid (taking drugs) but I know a lot of people who had the same problem (including family members) and managed to turn their lives around and get off the drugs.

I consider Clayton to have been a human being; not a cheeseball. I hope when you go you're treated with more respect than you've shown. :o