American Football

ChuckZ

The fact the Burnell is still starting says a lot about where Collins and Campbell are right now as QB options. Collins just does not have what it takes to be a starter in the NFL, and Campbell is not were the coaches want him to be to start (hopefully he will be next year).

I give the Pats personnel/coaching staff all the credit in the world – on the other hand I think this will start to turn on them. I applauded Brady for not turning up the burners on them during his last contract, but now in hindsight it was a bad move. I am sure he will not make the same mistake twice.

I think their policies will start to catch up with them as more and more players leave, and their ability to find suitable replacements becomes more and more difficult. As long as they can swing putting together winning teams they will continue to be able to find people to play for them at below market value, but a couple of loosing seasons and they may never be able to recover. The fact that they are in the weakest division in the AFC pretty much guarantees them a spot in the playoff this year though – then again their only loss is to what I think is the best team in the AFC right now the Broncos. But will they be able to keep the backfield together going forward?

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ride my bicycle the same way I played football. Without a helmet. Maybe I should take a shot at stealing Roesthlisberger's job...

No, wait, I bought a helmet last week. I guess I'll try out for the Redskins instead. "How does it feel to be 36 and washed up?" Man, that was cold.

Doug Williams could play in Gibbs' offense again. It hasn't changed, has it?

Edited by CalicoConsulting

I give the Pats personnel/coaching staff all the credit in the world – on the other hand I think this will start to turn on them. I applauded Brady for not turning up the burners on them during his last contract, but now in hindsight it was a bad move. I am sure he will not make the same mistake twice.

I think their policies will start to catch up with them as more and more players leave, and their ability to find suitable replacements becomes more and more difficult. As long as they can swing putting together winning teams they will continue to be able to find people to play for them at below market value, but a couple of loosing seasons and they may never be able to recover. The fact that they are in the weakest division in the AFC pretty much guarantees them a spot in the playoff this year though – then again their only loss is to what I think is the best team in the AFC right now the Broncos. But will they be able to keep the backfield together going forward?

In a word, yes! Even the most knowledgeable NFL fans who do not follow the Patriots closely just don't get it. It's not about being "cheap", guys. It's about "balancing" the team with the right combination of "star" players in key spots, and average to above average players with the right skill sets to complement those "stars", and the football intelligence to make the complex Belichick schemes work. On this current team, the "stars" are Brady on offense, and Seymour, Bruschi, and Harrison on defense. The team is built around them, and none of them will be allowed to walk away as FAs. They'll be paid whatever it takes.

The primary reason for the Pats slow start (in terms of quality of play) this season is the lack of time that Brady and his corps of nearly all new WRs have had to get their timing down. If you'll check back into Patriots history during the Belichick era, you'll find that they nearly always start slowly.

Belichick's often expressed philosophy is that the "real" season begins at about Thanksgiving. That's when the playoff drive begins, and when the team must work toward reaching a peak. Until then, all that's needed is to keep your head above water far enough to stay in contention for a playoff spot.

The Pats just added solid veteran WR Jabar Gaffney to their WR corps. This happened as they headed into their BYE week. You can bet that Brady and his WR corps have spent this week getting in a lot of reps on routes, and getting used to the speed and distance timing required for deeper passes. The WR corps now consists of Doug Gabriel, Jabar Gaffney, Troy Brown, Reche Caldwell, and the "mystery rookie" (due to a pesky hammy), Chad Jackson, who may still turn out to be the most dangerous of the group if he gets healthy. Now there are no super stars in that group, other than the incredibly productive, underrated old man, Troy Brown. But there is enough talent to mix and match a very successful passing attack, when they come together with Brady.

That will happen, guys. I promise you. By December, you'll see a much different, MUCH more dangerous Patriots passing game to accompany the already productive running game, and the very tough defense. Come playoff time, most analysts will, once again, consider the Patriots a long shot, due to the unimpressive play they've seen in September and October. Once again, the Patriots will "surprise" them all as they march through the favorites in the competition to win their 4th Super Bowl in the last 6 years.

George

I was back in Boston (Arlington, birthplace of Uncle Sam) a few weeks ago, and vegged out in front of the tube all day Sunday (week 4). I watched the Pats vs. Bengals game, after the Jets. vs. Colts game, and the Pats looked fantastic as they bounced back from the Denver loss. Laurence Maroney looked very sharp in that game.

Patsfan, I "get it". I've enjoyed the Miracle (Brady/Belichick) years, the system being more important than any individual (except maybe Brady), so much so, that I really thought they would win the Bowl last year, even in the middle of that ridiculous injury run. At playoff time, I thought they were the favorite in my mind. Not just being a homer, you take away that ridiculous Denver game (but everybody's gonna have one once in 5 years!) and the Pats walk that Bowl. Pittsburgh? A scrimmage for them at the Blade. Anyway, the personnel losses just keep adding up and I'm a little scared is all. Plus, I'm missing my Vinatieri security blanket to tuck myself in with!

Rivalries generally involve animosity between the local fans (good rivalries anyway) and sometimes the players, the best rivalries are both, a la the old Yanks/Red Sox (man they HATED each other in the '70s and a lot of Premiership sides. Hard to find teams really disliking each other anymore, with free agency and the brotherhood of millionairedom (that a word?) between the players. One problem (if you want to call it a problem) with the Pats, is that they are such a together team that even their usual rivals like Miami/NYJ, etc. respect them and don't really talk trash anymore. Kind of takes the edge off.

At least the world can still hate the Cowboys :o

So true!!!

I can't remember the interview, but I remember a Niners player being interviewed during that period before Aikman and the boys showed up, when the Cowboys stunk for quite a while, the interviewer asked how many losing seasons for Dallas it would be before he stopped hating them, he basically said, however many there would have been when he dies.

That "America's Team" crap really burned me up, too. Where the hel_l did that ever come from? Of course the 'boys cheerleaders popularity led to the mass proliferation of scantily clad hotties across the NFL, so I guess some good came of it. I had some "private" moments with the popular poster back in the '70s, and don't forget "Debbie Does Dallas"

Have I told this story before?

Early 1970s, Pittsburgh with the Steel Curtain Defense and Bradshaw running the offense rolled into Texas Stadium. One of the first NFL games I ever saw, if not the very first. The whistle is blown, the play is over, and about 3 seconds later one Cowboy clipped Bradshaw behind the knees while another clotheslined him.

We did that crap playing in the backyard, but it seems to me that's illegal in the NFL because somebody could be crippled for life. Bradshaw jumped up, looking for the flag, but of course there was no flag. This was Texas Stadium! Nobody ever flagged the Boys in Texas Stadium, and the refs cheated as much as it took to ensure Dallas won all 7 home games every year. Meanwhile, Coach Tom Landry was in TV commercials selling Bibles.

I will go to my grave hating the Dallas Cowboys. It wasn't much fun when they sucked, cheering against such a pathetic bunch of losers, but I still hated them. Still do. I'm hoping TO kills Tuna's mojo. I never liked Tuna either.

Remember how brutally Jerry Jones fired Tom Landry? I laughed so hard. But now, I can say Tom Landry got......

......JACKED UP!!

ha-HA!!

(Um...any Dallas fans in this thread?)

I'll always be grateful to Parcells for putting some spine back into the Pats, but he left like a crook, and I like to watch him suffer now. The Pats success now is due to the combination of Belichick and Brady with a LOT of it also due to Kraft, a wonderful owner.

I remember the Niner player in the interview was Hacksaw Reynolds.

What a terrible showing by my Skins today. If my votes counts I say cut Burnell (don’t just bench him – cut him) and start Campbell now. We are 2-4, and even though I am a fan I doubt they have much of a chance to pull themselves up and have any real run at the playoffs. I doubt they will even bench Burnell, but maybe, just maybe after next week. Next week we play Indy and unless something drastic happens between now and then I do not see how we can pull of a win in that game. Indy has no running game, but the Skins have no pass defense.

Yes the Lions won, but they beat the Bills; Yes, the Titians won, but they beat my Skins; Yes, Tampa Bay won and they beat the Bengals – but I factor in two things 1) Tampa is better than their record and; 2) How do you get called for roughing the passer on a sack? That call helped keep that scoring drive alive and without it I think Tampa would have lost.

Most surprising game to me (after my Skins falling apart on offense and defense against the Titans), was the win by Carolina – 23 points is a really good showing against the Ravens D.

Losses by both Baltimore and Cincy coupled with the Pitt blow-out puts the Steelers right back in the race. I still think the Ravens are the class of the AFC North.

Quite the comeback by Seattle – even though they lost, I must say the Rams played a much better game than I thought they were capable of playing.

The Giants put it to Atlanta much more soundly than I expected – especially after Dunn broke off that 90 yard run to kick off the second half. Good showing by the Giants to keep it on the ground after falling behind in the second half – but I think this has a lot to do with the fact they know Atlanta’s game is also a ground game, and therefore NY was not too worried about the gaming getting too far out of hand too quickly.

Go Saints

I think this maybe the first time in several years where the NFC is stronger all around than the AFC.

Hey,

Did you see the Cardinals give that game to the Bears? All they needed to make it complete were tight orange pants and Bruce the Pirate on the helmet. When it was over, after my stunned silence, I thought the only cure for those Cardinals would be to play the Raiders. Guess who they play this weekend? Raiders. That'll be the ugliest game in NFL history, and I'm aware of the "replacement player" strike games when I say that.

Matt Leinart. The next Archie Manning? I bet he wishes he was back in those Ballroom Dancing classes right now. Or that he'd signed up with the 49ers last year after all. Or that he could score some of whatever Ricky Williams is smoking. Or maybe he's thinking that riding a motorcycle without a helmet isn't such a bad idea after all. Works for Kellen Winslow Jr, works for Ben Roethslisberger, works for over 99% of the population in Thailand.

In other news, the Panthers almost made McNair cough up his spleen. Go Cats!

This week's local TV schedule, no scheduled Sunday night game this week.

23/10/2006

UBC SuperSport(35)

Start Time Program Title

00:00 National Football League 2006 013: PITTSBURG @ ATLANTA (23-OCT-2006)

03:15 National Football League 2006 014: WASHINGTON @ INDIANAPOLIS (23-OCT-2006)

24/10/2006

ESPN (39)

07:30 Nfl Football : New York Giants Vs. Dallas Cowboys NFL FOOTBALL : NEW YORK GIANTS VS. DALLAS COWBOYS

Note: Clocks change next week.

Edited by lomatopo

And the record of my adopted hometown Buccaneers stands. The only team to lose every game in a season. Pop the champagne, John McKay, John McKay Jr, and Steve Spurrier. Yay Raiders!

That "giant sucking sound" you hear from Arizona ... Oh, I don't even have to type the rest.

(Remember when my real hometown Panthers won the first and then lost the next 15. Oh yeah, George Seifert.)

Edited by CalicoConsulting

You can watch the games live thru Yahoo sport – which I think is actually some kind of set-up with NFL.com. This service is supposedly only available outside the US, the funny thing is all the rules and stipulations are related to US law.

The image is not that large and certainly not crystal clear, but it is live, and you can choose from any of the games.

Week 8 Games

30/10/2006

UBC SuperSport(35)

Channel Day

Start Time Program Title

01:00 National Football League 2006 015: ARIZONA @ GREEN BAY (30-OCT-2006)

04:15 National Football League 2006 016: INDIANAPOLIS @ DENVER (30-OCT-2006)

The Sunday night Dallas/Carolina game should be on at 08:15 on 30/10/06 (on ESPN) but I can't find it on any schedules today. Game 7 of the World Series, if necessary, is showing at the same time. I guess if there is no game 7 then the football game would be shown live?

I did find a rebroadcast on 31/10/06.

ESPN (39) rebroadcast

14:31 Nfl Football (i) : Dallas Cowboys Vs. Carolina Panthers

31/10/06

ESPN (39)

08:00 Nfl Yearbook 2005 New England Patriots Yearbook 06002

08:30 Nfl Football : New England Patriots Vs. Minnesota Vikings

A paragraph from my upcoming newsletter...

"...of more interest is my editing for The Water Cooler. This is a labor of love, folks. They don't pay me, but they do mention my URL, and their subject happens to be SPORTS! And that includes the NFL. They focus on the Washington DC area, and I've always been a Redskins fan. I also love how the Ravens play defense. I was a QB once, and they'd surely make me whimper and cough up a spleen. Does this mean I can deduct my cable TV bill as a business expense?"

:o

Michael

Chinarice dot org

This weeks Local TV schedule:

06/11/2006

UBC SuperSport(35)

Channel Day

Start Time Program Title

01:00 National Football League 2006 017: CINCINNATI @ BALTIMORE (06-NOV-2006)

04:15 National Football League 2006 018: DENVER @ PITTSBURGH (06-NOV-2006)

06/11/2006

ESPN (39)

08:00 Nfl Football (i) : Indianapolis Colts Vs. New England Patriots

07/11/2006

ESPN (39)

08:30 Nfl Football : Oakland Raiders Vs. Seattle Seahawks

The Sunday night game should be excellent; here's hoping for an early season snowstorm.