7 Jan

04:30 Nfl Playoffs: Nfc Wildcard

Nfl Playoffs: Nfc Wildcard : Indianapolis Colts Vs. Kansas City Chiefs

08:00 Nfl Playoffs: Nfc Wildcard

Nfl Playoffs: Nfc Wildcard : Seattle Seahawks Vs. Dallas Cowboys

SuperSport (35)

8 Jan

01:00 National Football League 2006

035: New York Jets @ New England (08-jan-2007)

04:15 National Football League 2006

036: New York Giants @ Philadelphia (08-jan-2007_

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't remember when, if ever, I have seen two playoff games in which there was such a display of ineptitude as the Chiefs @ Colts, and Cowboys @ Seahawks games this morning.

How can a team go through the entire 1st Half, and 1/2 of the 3rd Quarter, without getting a single First Down against the Colts defense? Somehow, the Chiefs did just that, and their impotence cost them a game they could easily have won, since "media darling", Peyton Manning, threw the ball to the Chiefs nearly as often as he threw it to his own players, in his continuing failure to produce in the Playoffs. A truly ugly Playoff game. I will give credit to Colts RB, Joseph Addai, as well as DE, Dwight Freeney, who were the only players that truly excelled in this one.

That was followed by the Cowboys, and their "hidden treasure" QB, Tony Romo, managing to barely dent a Seahawks defense that was playing Defensive Backs they had to pull off the street to cover for injuries to 3 of their top 4 pass defenders. Then he topped off his "stellar" performance by dropping the ball as he tried to set it down for what would have been the game winning Field Goal. Terrell Owens dropped at least 3 passes that hit him in the hands. Only RB, Julius Jones, and WR, Terry Glenn, really performed well for the 'Boys, as they rode off into the sunset of the season for them. Meanwhile, the Seahawks move on despite a mostly sub par performance by their QB, Matt Hasselbeck, and once great RB, Shaun Alexander.

There were no "winners" in either of these games; just 2 teams that "survived" to move on to games next week. They'll have to play a great deal better if they're to have any chance to get past their next opponents.

But let's move on to the most important game of the weekend. That, of course, would be my Patriots hosting their Division rivals, the Jets. While the Jets beat the Pats at Foxboro earlier in the season, I see little chance for a repeat of that upset. The Patriots are simply a better team in virtually every phase of the game. They are missing a great team leader, with Safety Rodney Harrison injured. That was also true for the earlier loss. But DE Ty Warren, a major force, whose having a great season, also missed that game, and is back for this one. It's expected that Vince Wilfork, who has missed a couple of games with a knee injury, will also be there at NT to stuff the already mediocre Jets running game. Pats Coach, Bill Belichick, is still not happy about the fact that one of his prize pupils, Eric Mangini, left the Pats, against BB's advice, to take the Jets Head Coach position. While he won't make any such statement, BB wants to prove that he was right. I believe he'll have his team ready to help him do just that. I see a Pats win by double figures; something like 27 - 13. Kickoff in about 4 hours. I'll be ready!

As for the game that follows, I see the Eagles continuing on their hot streak against a fading Giants team. I think it will be a tougher game for them than the Pats will have with the Giants cross town rivals, the Jets. This is another Divisional battle, pitting two teams that know each other very well. I see the final score as something like 20-16.

Hope you all enjoy what's left of this Wildcard Weekend!

Edited by patsfangr

Divisional Playoffs: Local TV Schedule

14/01/2007

ESPN(39)

Start Time Program Title

04:30 Afc Divisional Playoff 92 : INDIANAPOLIS COLTS VS. BALTIMORE RAVENS

UBC SuperSport(35)

Start Time Program Title

08:00 National Football League 2006 037: DIVISIONAL PLAYOFF: PHILADELPHIA @ NEW ORLEANS (14-JAN-2007)

15/01/2007

UBC SuperSport(35)

Start Time Program Title

01:00 National Football League 2006 038: DIVISIONAL PLAYOFF: SEATTLE @ CHICAGO (15-JAN-2007)

ESPN(39)

Start Time Program Title

04:30 Afc Divisional Playoff 93 : NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS VS. SAN DIEGO CHARGERS

Divisional Playoffs: Local TV Schedule

14/01/2007

ESPN(39)

Start Time Program Title

04:30 Afc Divisional Playoff 92 : INDIANAPOLIS COLTS VS. BALTIMORE RAVENS

UBC SuperSport(35)

Start Time Program Title

08:00 National Football League 2006 037: DIVISIONAL PLAYOFF: PHILADELPHIA @ NEW ORLEANS (14-JAN-2007)

15/01/2007

UBC SuperSport(35)

Start Time Program Title

01:00 National Football League 2006 038: DIVISIONAL PLAYOFF: SEATTLE @ CHICAGO (15-JAN-2007)

ESPN(39)

Start Time Program Title

04:30 Afc Divisional Playoff 93 : NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS VS. SAN DIEGO CHARGERS

For those of you with UBC, be aware that they will be processing a "channel relocation" beginning after midnight on Sunday. They've been running a rather confusing scroll across the screen for a few days to announce it. As a rabid Patriots fan, I went into panic mode when I first saw this message, which includes words to the effect that there will be "no signal from 0100 to 0600 on Sunday, January 15!

I called UBC, and they assured me that the channel relocation process will NOT block the signal. However, I'm still not sure of exactly when the relocation will occur, or if it will be "staggered" through the channels. The important information to note is that the SuperSport channel will move from 35 to 65; and ESPN will move from 39 to 69. So, if you lose signal during a game, you SHOULD be able to get back to the game by going to the new channel location. You SHOULD be able to do that. But, as we all know, TIT! I'll have my fingers crossed until I see the entire Patriots upset victory over the Chargers on Sunday morning!! (27 - 20 Patriots)

UBC Channel Re-Allocation details which is scheduled to occur on 16 Jan so the NFL games will not be affected as they will have been completed by 08:00 on 15 Jan.

For DStv and CAtv (Digital) subscribers, UBC-True will temporarily suspend our signal during 01:00 to 06:00 on 16 January 2007 (the night of Monday 15 January) in order to process a re-numbering of our channels. During the aforementioned hours, no viewing of UBC programs will be possible.

All of these games are re-broadcast at least once; I did not bother looking for or posting the rebroadcast schedules. Rebroadcasts could be affected by the signal outage?

UBC Channel Re-Allocation details which is scheduled to occur on 16 Jan so the NFL games will not be affected as they will have been completed by 08:00 on 15 Jan.

For DStv and CAtv (Digital) subscribers, UBC-True will temporarily suspend our signal during 01:00 to 06:00 on 16 January 2007 (the night of Monday 15 January) in order to process a re-numbering of our channels. During the aforementioned hours, no viewing of UBC programs will be possible.

All of these games are re-broadcast at least once; I did not bother looking for or posting the rebroadcast schedules. Rebroadcasts could be affected by the signal outage?

I'm currently over on Agila, so I haven't seen the UBC message that scrolls across the screen for a couple of days. (Except for the NFL, the broadcast options on Agila are MUCH better for farangs - especially Americans, due to the greater number of channels carrying USA programming.)

But I could have sworn that the UBC scroll said that the suspension of signal would occur on BOTH Sunday, 0100-0600, and Monday, same hours. I'll switch over to UBC later tonight, and watch for it again. Meanwhile, those of you with UBC should be seeing that scroll also. Perhaps somebody can copy it down, and straighten out my apparent error.

Seems like the change over is the morning of the 16th. Glad about that.

In other news, LSU quarterback JaMarcus Russell will nominate for the draft. Oakland has the first pick. We could play him on the O-line.

Russell would be an excellent fit for Oakland. Although he would be under a lot of pressure on passing situations, he has a very quick release and throws well on the run. Given Oakland already has a very good defense, if they select Russell they may actually get to .500 next year.

NFC/AFC Championships: Local TV Schedule

22/01/2007

UBC SuperSport(35)

Start Time Program Title

00:30 Nfl Game Day 2006 019

03:00 National Football League 2006 039: CONFERENCE PLAYOFF: NEW ORLEANS @ CHICAGO (22-JAN-2007)

22/01/2007

ESPN(39)

Start Time Program Title

06:00 New England Patriots Yearbook 2005 NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS YEARBOOK 2005

06:30 Afc Championship 94 : NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS VS. INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

Hi all,

I've been trying not to comment on the playoffs because all I can do is state the obvious. But hey, this is the first time I've seen NFL playoff games in this century, and I've been pretty ###### thrilled. I saw the past two Super Bowls, and I believe this one will be more competitive, no matter which team New Orleans faces.

Michael

If the Saints meet the Colts in the playoffs, which team does Archie Manning cheer for?

If the Bears meet the Patriots, it sure won't be a repeat of Super Bowl Shuffle.

And is anybody in Baltimore thinking, "We could've beaten the Colts if only Deion were still here"?

Edited by CalicoConsulting

ON A ROLL! Both my Patriots, and my playoff game predictions are doing pretty well. I took all 4 of the Division Champs over the Wildcard teams in week 1. 4-0 on that. Last week, I got off to a bad start, missing on both of the Saturday games. But I got back on stride on Sunday, correctly picking both Da Bears, and, of course, my Patriots. So, I stand at 6-2. What's next? Here's how I see the early morning action on Monday!

***** I see a very tough game in Chicago. The Saints have played well on the road this year, but haven't faced the Chicago winter. If the weather is rough, I think the Bears will squeak by the Saints. If the weather is half way decent, however, I don't think the Bears can stop this very well rounded Saints offense. If we see something like temperatures in the high 30's or more, with clear skies, and moderate winds, I think the Bears could be shockingly blown out! I'll say right now that I'd rather have the Bears than the Saints in the Super Bowl. The Saints have made believers of me, at least in the NFC. I think they're much more dangerous than any other team in that conference.

***** Just checked the Yahoo weather report for Sunday in Chicago. They say: "Sunday: Snow showers at times. Highs in the low 30s and lows in the upper 20s." I have to believe that's just too uncomfortable for most of the Saints. So, if that weather report holds, I think their offense will be slowed just enough for Da Bears to hang on for a nail biting 16-14 win. That, of course, will be good news for our Patriots on Feb 4. But that's another story.

***** I'm going with the same score again this week that I picked last week in the Pats game. I see it as 27-20, Patriots. Ironically, that would be an exact reversal of the score by which they beat us on Nov 5.

***** The offensive game plan in this one could be very similar to what beat the Chargers. The Colts are likely to go with 8 in the box to take away the run. We'll likely run a bit more, and I believe, with a bit more success, than we had last week. But, in the end, it will come down to ability of the OL to control the Colts biggest pass rush threat, Freeney, as well as they did Merriman last week; and Brady's ability to hit his short and intermediate receivers with a LOT more consistency than he did last week. And when he does drop back to pass, he'd ###### well better know where Colts SS Bob Sanders is. Whether by blitzing Brady, stepping in front of a receiver to pick one off, or in position to break a receiver in two after a catch over the middle, Sanders can make some very big plays! Neither the LB's nor the CB's are "special players" on that defense. Freeney and Mathis, with their outside rush; and Sanders, all over the field, are the players to focus on neutralizing.

***** As for our D, it has to be more of the BB magic to frustrate Manning; while definitely not ignoring Addai. The kid has got it. He's a genuine threat to break it big at any time, and must be watched. Still, it comes down to keeping Manning guessing. Give enough pressure to make him worry about it, but focus on LITERALLY knocking Harrison on his ASS at the LOS, particularly on 3rd downs, and doing our very best to blanket his other receivers, and make him move out of the pocket. Somebody has to hit Harrison, and hit him hard every time it's legal. Unlike the Chargers, the Colts have the full array of weapons. Both WRs are outstanding. TE Dallas Clark can get deep in a hurry; and his backup, Ben Utecht, is sure handed on short stuff. Addai, as noted earlier can kill with either a run, or pass, if left alone out there; and the same is true to a lesser extent with Rhodes. Stopping the Colts is no easy task. I have to believe that it can only be done when Manning is forced into a poor game. Hopefully, his own head will help us with that. He really does seem spooked in playoff games; and everybody is going to believe that until he proves differently. I hope that doesn't happen this week!

ON A ROLL! Both my Patriots, and my playoff game predictions are doing pretty well. I took all 4 of the Division Champs over the Wildcard teams in week 1. 4-0 on that. Last week, I got off to a bad start, missing on both of the Saturday games. But I got back on stride on Sunday, correctly picking both Da Bears, and, of course, my Patriots. So, I stand at 6-2. What's next? Here's how I see the early morning action on Monday!

***** I see a very tough game in Chicago. The Saints have played well on the road this year, but haven't faced the Chicago winter. If the weather is rough, I think the Bears will squeak by the Saints. If the weather is half way decent, however, I don't think the Bears can stop this very well rounded Saints offense. If we see something like temperatures in the high 30's or more, with clear skies, and moderate winds, I think the Bears could be shockingly blown out! I'll say right now that I'd rather have the Bears than the Saints in the Super Bowl. The Saints have made believers of me, at least in the NFC. I think they're much more dangerous than any other team in that conference.

***** Just checked the Yahoo weather report for Sunday in Chicago. They say: "Sunday: Snow showers at times. Highs in the low 30s and lows in the upper 20s." I have to believe that's just too uncomfortable for most of the Saints. So, if that weather report holds, I think their offense will be slowed just enough for Da Bears to hang on for a nail biting 16-14 win. That, of course, will be good news for our Patriots on Feb 4. But that's another story.

***** I'm going with the same score again this week that I picked last week in the Pats game. I see it as 27-20, Patriots. Ironically, that would be an exact reversal of the score by which they beat us on Nov 5.

***** The offensive game plan in this one could be very similar to what beat the Chargers. The Colts are likely to go with 8 in the box to take away the run. We'll likely run a bit more, and I believe, with a bit more success, than we had last week. But, in the end, it will come down to ability of the OL to control the Colts biggest pass rush threat, Freeney, as well as they did Merriman last week; and Brady's ability to hit his short and intermediate receivers with a LOT more consistency than he did last week. And when he does drop back to pass, he'd ###### well better know where Colts SS Bob Sanders is. Whether by blitzing Brady, stepping in front of a receiver to pick one off, or in position to break a receiver in two after a catch over the middle, Sanders can make some very big plays! Neither the LB's nor the CB's are "special players" on that defense. Freeney and Mathis, with their outside rush; and Sanders, all over the field, are the players to focus on neutralizing.

***** As for our D, it has to be more of the BB magic to frustrate Manning; while definitely not ignoring Addai. The kid has got it. He's a genuine threat to break it big at any time, and must be watched. Still, it comes down to keeping Manning guessing. Give enough pressure to make him worry about it, but focus on LITERALLY knocking Harrison on his ASS at the LOS, particularly on 3rd downs, and doing our very best to blanket his other receivers, and make him move out of the pocket. Somebody has to hit Harrison, and hit him hard every time it's legal. Unlike the Chargers, the Colts have the full array of weapons. Both WRs are outstanding. TE Dallas Clark can get deep in a hurry; and his backup, Ben Utecht, is sure handed on short stuff. Addai, as noted earlier can kill with either a run, or pass, if left alone out there; and the same is true to a lesser extent with Rhodes. Stopping the Colts is no easy task. I have to believe that it can only be done when Manning is forced into a poor game. Hopefully, his own head will help us with that. He really does seem spooked in playoff games; and everybody is going to believe that until he proves differently. I hope that doesn't happen this week!

I have to admit I never thought the Pats would get this far. I guess the cream always rises to the top. As normal, this game will either be won or lost on the lines. If Addai has a big day rushing, it will be because the Colts O-line will be pushing around the Pats D-line, and that isn't likely. I would expect the Pats DB's to take away the outside, so Manning will be dumping off to Addai and hitting Clark in the middle. Don't be surprised if this is a low scoring game. I do see the Pats winning a close one, but since my beloved Cowboys are out, I just want to see a competitive game and have no real rooting interest. However, given the Saints are made up of a number of former Cowboys, I would like to see them get to the SB.

I have to admit I never thought the Pats would get this far. I guess the cream always rises to the top. ...Don't be surprised if this is a low scoring game. I do see the Pats winning a close one, ...

I think the Pats were extremely lucky that the Chargers sank to the bottom. In a close, low scoring game I'd sure be happier, as a Pats fan, with the Colts kicker still on my team.

I have to admit I never thought the Pats would get this far. I guess the cream always rises to the top. ...Don't be surprised if this is a low scoring game. I do see the Pats winning a close one, ...

I think the Pats were extremely lucky that the Chargers sank to the bottom. In a close, low scoring game I'd sure be happier, as a Pats fan, with the Colts kicker still on my team.

I think just about every Pats fan envisioned this situation when Adam signed with the Colts, seems pre-ordained. Je+usG+d, don't let it come to him kicking the game winner. Also hoping this one's on UBC tomorrow morning 630 a.m. live.

I think just about every Pats fan envisioned this situation when Adam signed with the Colts, seems pre-ordained. Je+usG+d, don't let it come to him kicking the game winner. Also hoping this one's on UBC tomorrow morning 630 a.m. live.

Both games will be shown, live. Set your alarm clock now, before you forget.

C'mon, now, Lomo! How can you call yourself a Pats fan, and use the words "Pats" and "lucky" in the same sentence?! When a great, come from behind victory in a playoff game happens once, maybe twice, you can call it luck. When it happens with the frequency with which it has for the BB and Brady Patriots, it's NOT luck! These guys bring a special magic to the team that flows into the veins of every player, new and old, throughout the course of a season, and reaches its peak in the playoffs.

The most important single key to the success of the Belichick Patriots is his dedication to, and teaching of, "situational football". The Patriots players have it drummed into them from the first day of training camp. Always, Belichick teaches, be aware of the game situation. Be aware of the score, the time remaining, the down and distance, the tendencies of the opponent that you were shown during the week, and that you and the coaches have observed during the game. THAT is what produces those huge offensive and defensive plays at crunch time of big games; not "LUCK"!

They are, simply put, the greatest coach/player combination in the history of the NFL. Anybody who doesn't acknowledge that is either jealous, or totally ignorant about the game.

While we're having a minor Pats love-in, TROY BROWN FOR PRESIDENT!

Nah. Belichick has to be President. You need to be cold as ice to make the tough calls in that office.

Troy, Brady, Bruschi, and few others have to be the Cabinet Ministers, who make sure the party platform is executed effectively.

Obviously, no Patriot can be Vice President. First of all, the Vice President doesn't do anything. That's not the Patriot way. And, furthermore, the Patriots have no vices! :-)

Thought they eliminated the use of rational thought, discourse and decision-making, or is that just a one-off for this administration? I'll stay away from politics, just was goofin' on "first down" TB's proximity to weird and crucial plays at the right time!

Well this should be a good one tomorrow.

The most important single key to the success of the Belichick Patriots is his dedication to, and teaching of, "situational football". The Patriots players have it drummed into them from the first day of training camp. Always, Belichick teaches, be aware of the game situation. Be aware of the score, the time remaining, the down and distance, the tendencies of the opponent that you were shown during the week, and that you and the coaches have observed during the game. THAT is what produces those huge offensive and defensive plays at crunch time of big games; not "LUCK"!

I totally agree, and I am not a Pats fan. Bellichick has always said that if you are on the Pats roster, be prepared to play. Nobody rides the bench on his team. Look at the RB position. With Dillon and Maroney, one would have thought that Faulk could sleep on the bench. Not on this team, and old man Faulk has been very helpful during the playoff games. Belichick is a master at getting everything out of a player.

Several years ago, a friend told me that the best thing that ever happened to Parcels was Bellichick. Given their records since they have split, my friend was correct.

C'mon, now, Lomo! How can you call yourself a Pats fan, and use the words "Pats" and "lucky" in the same sentence?!

They are, simply put, the greatest coach/player combination in the history of the NFL. Anybody who doesn't acknowledge that is either jealous, or totally ignorant about the game.

Ok, maybe I should have said that the Chargers were unlucky? I think even Bill Bellichick would acknowledge, privately perhaps, that luck plays a role in the outcome of some games?

If the Pats win their next two games then they will equal the record of Chuck Noll and the Pittsburgh Steelers of winning four Superbowls in six seasons. The Steelers did this in the 1974, 1975, 1978 and 1979 seasons. I'm neither jealous nor totally ignorant.

C'mon, now, Lomo! How can you call yourself a Pats fan, and use the words "Pats" and "lucky" in the same sentence?!

Ok, maybe I should have said that the Chargers were unlucky? I think even Bill Bellichick would acknowledge, privately perhaps, that luck plays a role in the outcome of some games?

If the Pats win their next two games then they will equal the record of Chuck Noll and the Pittsburgh Steelers of winning four Superbowls in six seasons. The Steelers did this in the 1974, 1975, 1978 and 1979 seasons. I'm neither jealous nor totally ignorant.

I totally agree that you are not totally ignorant, Lomo! :-) However, I think you're overlooking one very important factor in comparing the great Chuck Noll Steeler teams of the 70's. The Salary Cap has totally changed the face of the NFL since then, making "dynasties" infinitely more difficult to sustain. I don't have rosters in front of me for those old Steelers teams, but I'd bet that they had far more than the 11 players the Pats currently have on their roster for all 4 of the last 6 seasons.

Belichick has sustained this very high level of performance while facing turnover of incredibly challenging proportions. Every single season he has lost at least a couple of players considered "key" to their offense and/or defense. I don't recall the Steelers losing any of the "big names" on those teams. Evey season it's been: "The Patriots OL will suffer with the loss of Damien Woody. ... The Patriots DL will suffer with the loss of Chad Eaton. ... The Patriots secondary will be in big trouble without Lawyer Milloy. ... The Patriots secondary will REALLY be a mess without Ty Law. ... The Patriots won't make the playoffs this year after losing both Givens and Branch." There are many others I could have included, but, I'm sure you see my point.

With Belichick, the success of these Patriots is much, much more "the system" than was the case for the Steelers of the 70's. In the latter case, their success was, IMO, much more attributable to the players than to the coach.

Congratulations to the Chicago Bears and the Indianapolis Colts. The Colts deserve a lot of credit for coming back from a disastrous first quarter.

Superbowl Sunday's local TV schedule:

05/02/2007

ESPN(39)

Start Time Program Title

02:05 Super Bowl Xxxvi Highlights 07036 : NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS VS. ST. LOUIS RAMS

02:30 Super Bowl Xxxvii Highlights 07037 : TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS VS. OAKLAND RAIDERS

03:00 Super Bowl Xxxviii Highlights 07038 : NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS VS. CAROLINA PANTHERS

03:30 Super Bowl Xxxix Highlights 07039 : NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS VS. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

04:00 Super Bowl Xl Highlights 07040 : PITTSBURGH STEELERS VS. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS

04:30 Road To The Superbowl ROAD TO THE SUPERBOWL

06:00 Super Bowl XLI SUPER BOWL XLI