American Football

ChuckZ

San Franciscan 49er fans, my heart still bleeds for you. I respected your team long before my hometown Panthers became your divisional rivals, and even after that ceased to happen due to realignment. You gave us Seifert, and that was poetic justice. hel_l, I was annoyed when Joe Montana replaced Steve DeBerg in San Francisco, which shows you how old I am. Watching Jerry Rice retire reminded me that the guy is MY age, and it took him THIS long to lose a step and have only 23 more than me. I wouldn't wish your current fate on anyone, except Dallas. But I think Mike Nolan is a step in the right direction. Hang in there, and one day you'll be better than Arizona.

(Cheap shot! Hey, it's what I do.)

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New York Giants v.s the Colts is going to be the game to watch tomorrow, baby! Yes, I know it's the most hypeds game of the weekend, but hey! It's Manning vs. Manning........When was the last time you've seen QB brothers playing against each other in an NFL game? Not to mention that Giants won't play the Colts again in the regular season until 2010!

But I'll definitely be watching the earlier Cowboys / Jaguar game in the afternoon with my buds, I want to see how T.O will do, and if there will be any friction with coach Purcells, not to mention Drew Bledsoe, and Terry Glenn...

Hope I'm still sober ennough to see the evening game..... :o

I think the following is accurate: (dates/times are local for Thailand)

Sep 11 UBC SuperSport (Ch. 35)

00:00 National Football League 2006 001: SEATTLE @ DETROIT (11-SEP-2006)

03:15 National Football League 2006 002: DALLAS @ JACKSONVILLE (11-SEP-2006)

(Note that that is midnight tonight, one minute after 11:59 PM on Sep. 10.)

Sep. 11 ESPN (Ch. 39)

06:00 Nfl Yearbook 2005 Indianapolis Colts Yearbook 06010

07:00 Nfl Football (i) : Indianapolis Colts Vs. New York Giants NFL FOOTBALL (I) : INDIANAPOLIS COLTS VS. NEW YORK GIANTS

Sep 12 ESPN (Ch. 39)

05:30 Nfl Yearbook 2005 Minnesota Vikings Yearbook 06022

06:00 Nfl Football : Minnesota Vikings Vs. Washington Redskins NFL FOOTBALL : MINNESOTA VIKINGS VS. WASHINGTON REDSKINS

09:15 Nfl Football : San Diego Chargers Vs. Oakland Raiders NFL FOOTBALL : SAN DIEGO CHARGERS VS. OAKLAND RAIDERS

Next week

Sep 18 UBC SuperSport (Ch.35)

00:00 National Football League 2006 003: NEW YORK GIANTS @ PHILADELPHIA (18-SEP-2006)

03:15 National Football League 2006 004: NEW ENGLAND @ NEW YORK JETS (18-SEP-2006)

Sep 18 ESPN (Ch. 39)

00:35 Nfl's Greatest Game 1980 Nfc Divisional Playoff - Cowboys At Falcons 06005

07:00 Nfl Football (i) : Washington Redskins Vs. Dallas Cowboys NFL FOOTBALL (I) : WASHINGTON REDSKINS VS. DALLAS COWBOYS

Sep. 19 ESPN (Ch. 39)

07:00 Nfl Yearbook 2005 Pittsburgh Steelers Yearbook 06005

07:30 Nfl Football : Pittsburgh Steelers Vs. Jacksonville Jaguars NFL FOOTBALL : PITTSBURGH STEELERS VS. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS

I think the following is accurate: (dates/times are local for Thailand)

Sep. 11 ESPN (Ch. 39)

06:00 Nfl Yearbook 2005 Indianapolis Colts Yearbook 06010

07:00 Nfl Football (i) : Indianapolis Colts Vs. New York Giants NFL FOOTBALL (I) : INDIANAPOLIS COLTS VS. NEW YORK GIANTS

Manning Bowl '06!

( Indianapolis is a strong team, as much as I love the Giants, I have a feeling the Colts will take this game, not to mention Peyton is more experienced also.... )

This is the game to watch!

:o

Why do they wear all that padding for??

"Why do they wear all that padding?" is sufficient.

And an excellent question, and you can thank Teddy Roosevelt for that innovation. We turned a boys game (Rugby) into a sport that more closely resembles war (a battle for land/territory). So many (college) players were dying that rules were changed (can you say "forward pass") and equipment added to protect the players. Why does that Cricket batter wear so much padding? (and baseball players wear so little)?

Michael LaRocca here. Saturday Night Sports. The big story? Packers. Raiders. Super Bowl. Brooks. Favre. Quarterback Showdown. Another Super Bowl ring for Art Shell? Maybe. Favre leapfrogs George Blanda in the record books? Maybe. Excitement. Professional football action. Green Bay. Oakland. Super Bowl.

(I know Piscopo used exclamation points, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.)

Michael LaRocca here. Saturday Night Sports. The big story? Packers. Raiders. Super Bowl. Brooks. Favre. Quarterback Showdown. Another Super Bowl ring for Art Shell? Maybe. Favre leapfrogs George Blanda in the record books? Maybe. Excitement. Professional football action. Green Bay. Oakland. Super Bowl.

(I know Piscopo used exclamation points, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.)

You may be right, Michael. They could be there. I mean, they can certainly afford the tickets!

If they do attend, I hope they enjoy seeing my Patriots bury the Seahawks, and Deion "Show Me The Money" Branch!

George

You may be right, Michael. They could be there. I mean, they can certainly afford the tickets!

If they do attend, I hope they enjoy seeing my Patriots bury the Seahawks, and Deion "Show Me The Money" Branch!

George

Nah, they'll see the Colts bury my Panthers while I pull out what few hairs I still have. First your Patriots buried the kitties in the litter, and now the Colts will. Grr.

(Unless Steve Smith's "injury" keeps him out much longer. Then we're doomed.)

I know UBC has pro games, but what if we want to watch college football? I suffered greatly last year not being able to watch any of teh regular season games, coz ESPN asia don't show any. :o

I know the American embassy and embassy residential compounds in bangkok get direct satellite from the US, but seeing as don't know anyone who works for the embassy, it's pretty hard to get any college games. Does any one know if JSAT or any other satellite provider has US programming?

I can't stand missing another season, I would go nuts if I did :D , so ANY help is highly appreciated.

Oh BTW if anyone is interested in playing pick up games of flag football, I;d be more than happy to arrange gatherings providing we have enough number.... :D

:D

College football. Do you know what Vince Lombardi was supposed to have said? He was asked. "Coach Lombardi, do you watch College football?"

"No", he replied,"College football is like taking your sister to the senior prom. No matter how good it seems at the time, you're bound to end up frustrated, one way or the other."

Sorry, I just couldn't resist it.

:D

I think the following is accurate for this week's local (Thailand) TV schedule:

UBC SuperSport(35)

25 Sep

00:30 National Football League 2006 005: CINCINNATI @ PITTSBURGH (25-SEP-2006)

03:15 National Football League 2006 006: NEW YORK GIANTS @ SEATTLE (25-SEP-2006)

ESPN

25 Sep

07:00 Nfl Football (i) : Denver Broncos Vs. New England Patriots

ESPN

26 Sep

07:30 Nfl Football : Atlanta Falcons Vs. New Orleans Saints

Wow, my Panthers suck without Steve Smith. Hey, does anybody have Rae Carruth's phone number? I hear he's not playing right now, and he's younger than Morten Anderson or Jeff George, so why not?

(Hey, Rae Carruth isn't a Bengal, is he? I forgot to look.)

Michael

P.S. Amazing that I can become a "senior member" for posting crap like this, innit?

P.P.S. No gratuitous "Fred Lane" references. Jeez, I do have my standards.

Edited by CalicoConsulting

I think the only offense looking worse than my Skins is the Raiders – and possibly the Lions. Of course since Barry left town nobody really expects the Lions to have an offense anyway.

The Edge has been pretty ineffective in the desert – of course the Cards do have probably the worst offensive line in football.

I think the Giants might be the best team in the NFC East – at least for now.

If the Bears can build some offense they will be hard to beat down the stretch.

I think the NFC West might be the worst division in the NFL this year.

Steelers might find it hard to even make the playoffs – the Ravens are going to run away with that division. I think the Ravens might just be the best team in the NFL right now.

How long is Brady under contract for in NE? I remember when he resigned I applauded him for accepting a reasonable contract and not attempting to squeeze the team for every last dollar – the train of thought being that then NE could use that money to keep as many key players as possible. The problem is they are not using any money to keep any key players. Next time around Brady should hold out for all the marbles – will then probably be given his walking papers. But he can walk out with all those rings and make a big payday somewhere else.

Here’s hoping the Saints win again this week.

Hopefully my Skins can beat the Texans this weekend. Maybe they will find their offense sometime before the end of the season. The new O-coordinator is suppose to have a 700+ page playbook – I just wish they could find a page or two that actually worked. The O-line is horrendous and I think Brunell is afraid to throw the ball longer than 5 yards down field. If they don’t turn things around soon this will be one long seaon for this Redskin fan.

Then again I am also a Buckeye fan so at least I have NCAA football to fall back on - of course living in LOS I am resigned to only reading the headlines of the NCAA stuff.

Decisions decisions...

Bengals and Steelers tonight. Broncos and Patriots in the morning. No way I can watch both.

As a self-employed English writer guru, I could easily turn into a night owl and a lazy slug. But thus far, I've been awake by 8 every morning during my first THREE MONTHS in Chiang Mai. Can I let the Bengals (a.k.a. The Mean Machine) and the Steelers mess that up? I don't know.

The best news of all, naturally, is that my 0-2 Panthers get to whip up on the 0-2 Bucs. Maybe Julius Peppers can get a whimper or two out of Chris laissez-faire Simms.

Michael

P.S. Next week I'll jump back onto the Buc Bandwagon. It won't be the first time I've supported them after an 0-3 start. As long as they don't play against my Panthers, I'll pull for them. I miss the orange pants.

Go Skins.

I think the key to stopping the Bengals is pressure and contact on Palmer. You do not have to sack him but you do have to hit him. Still think the Ravens are the best team in this division – good showing by the Brown last weekend (even though they lost).

I was impressed by the Colts, and amazed at how badly the Giants came off in the first half against the Seahawks.

Pretty disappointed at how Miami has been playing so far.

Expected the Bears to be good, but the Vikings are playing far better than I expected. Might just make the Bears work to win the division.

I would be a bit concerned if I were a Pats fan. I am already concerned being a Skins fan – no real offense. Still looks like Brunell is afraid to throw the ball downfield. He has to have the confidence in both his arm and his receivers to wing it down field at least once a quarter. He is way too quick to take the check-off options. Yea, yea straight completion record and 31 points – but it was against the Texans, and the passes were pretty much all dinks and dunks. Only ray of hope is Portis – if I thought the man could hold up I would give him the ball 30+ time a game, throw in screens and he would get close to 50 touches a game.

Glad to see the Saints win another one – would be pleased if they end up being the last undefeated team.

Rough game ahead for my Skins the Jags are not the Texans – here’s hoping Brunell gets some glasses so he can see further than 10 yards down field before Sunday.

If I had to lead a team against the Ravens right now, I think I'd whimper too. I'd quoth nevermore and all that.

Hey hey hey, just got back from Kuala Lumpur. Helped debug the new airport in Bangkok. What fun, I say facetiously. Got myself a new visa without missing any FOOTBALL. Priorities, mate.

Michael

P.S. Calico Consulting is now an official company and stuff. Heh.

Pretty good weekend for football.

How about them Bears? Best in the NFC right now?

My Redskins seem to be improving on offense every week, and getting Springs back at CB is the key to making the D click. This weekend against the Giants might actually be a real game – as opposed to the drubbing we took last year in New Jersey. The loser of next weeks game could have a bit of a hole to dig out of in the East. Quite the NFC east weekend next week - Giants-Skins and Philly-Dallas games.

What happened to the Bengals? Good showing by the Pats and quite the back they picked up there.

What do you get when you mix a potential hall of fame RB, the best wide receiver corps in the league with the worst O-line in the league? A long and brutal loosing year – Arizona. I hope they do something about that line next year or I think the leap from Indy might have actually cost Edge a spot in the HOF.

Saints finally lost a game – but they lost it thru their own mistakes and bad play as much as anything else.

How about them Ravens? Best team in the AFC right now?

Ravens? Bears? What does that tell you about defense?

Brett Favre – we love ya, but it is just about time you said enough is enough. Would be a different story if the club you were with had a snowballs chance in Miami of doing something – anything this year. But lets face it GB has been marching time for a couple of years now (through no fault of Favres).

Howdy,

I saw NFL Game Day on the tube today. That means that, for the first time, I have seen DeShawn Foster. The rookie. Do you have any idea how many years the Panthers offense has involved hiding the fact that we have no running back worth a crap? Or at least hiding the fact? Mai ben rai? I think not! You cannot possibly succeed without a running game. But hey hey hey, we've got one now. Better than Biakabatuka, who I actually like. Better than when we stole Stephen Davis from the Redskins, because he was only a year or two from being too OOOLLLDDD. I feel very good right now.

Oh, and if we get a Ravens-Bears Super Bowl, we won't keep score. We'll keep a body count. Holy crikey, they play tough. The way I played before brain damage forced me to move to Thailand.

The Madman

post-32884-1160317655.gif

Bears still looking like the class of the NFC.

Are the Raiders the worst team in the NFL?

The Saints have seen some real returns from people new to the team this year – RB, WR, QB – and I for one am glad to see it.

Are the Rams for real? Or are they one of the worst 4-1 teams in the NFL right now? They did beat the Broncos in week one, but they turned around and lost to the Niners. And three wins against the Lions, Pack, and Cardinals doesn’t really amount to much.

Who is the best team in the AFC – Colts, Broncos, Dirty Birds (Ravens), Pats?

The Colts look to not be as good as they were last year and might not be able to find their running game until next year.

The Ravens have the D, and Mr. McNair has talent but maybe not enough (they just lost to the Broncos).

The Pats can never be counted out, but the only game I have been really impressed with their play was against the Bengals.

The Broncos have beaten the Ravens and the Pats (in NE at that) – so I give the nod to the boys in Blue for now.

Will my Redskins ever develop into a consistent team? They looked OK against Houston – but who is Houston? Then great against the Jags. But they had no offensive power in their three losses. I think Burnell is the weak link on the O, and that the D will not be back to normal until Shawn Springs gets healthy. I am stumped as to why they have Kenny Wright starting at CB over Ade Jimoh – as AJ played well form them last year.

Currently stuck in China and not likely to be able to watch games this weekend - except maybe via the internet.

Go Saints.

Hail to the Redskins.

I read somewhere a while back that the reason Arizona played against San Francisco in the offseason is because Arizona wanted it that way. Dang, Niners. Do you really want to be known as "Arizona's b*tch*s?"

So, I think the Rams must be the worst 4-1 team in football. They lost to Arizona's b*tch*s.

I suspect that, after they play Arizona on Monday night, it'll never occur to us to refer to the Bears in those terms. Leinert might whimper and cough up a spleen.

Raiders. Um, the Bed and Breakfast Offense won't work in this league. Tim Brown recently said it was obsolete when he was part of it in the early 90s.

Panthers. Good to see them come back. It'd be better if they didn't start every year by losing a few games.

Redskins. I hear Jeff George, Vinnie Testaverde, Doug Flutie, Jim Kelly, Ron Jaworski, Terry Bradshaw, Joe Theismann, Steve DeBerg, Joe Namath, Ryan Leaf, and George Blanda are all available.

Cleveland. Just fire the whole team, and the management, and the coaching staff, and start over. (Crennel's probably okay, but fire him and rehire him just to be spiteful.) Or arrange to play against Oakland every week.

The Pats are pushing the envelope of how many people you can let go/lose to free agency and plug in players a roll the dice. It's fairly unconscionable the Brady took that pay cut (also unheard of) and the Pats are still 13 million (non-rollable!) under the salary cap. Maybe Belichick is trying to set a new record for winning on the cheap, hope he succeeds. If Brady ever leaves, they're done, he's not replaceable.

Edited by calibanjr.