The Ashes

uptheos

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're off!!

Howzat?

Being an Aussie I am ready for my shafting so pls give it to me now so I can come back with a fresh outlook after the lunch break. I must admit the pommie bastards are bowling extreemly well. 4/58 OMG.

P.S. If an Aussie calls you a Pommie Bastard it is a term of endearment and NOT derogatory.

I am rapidly changing moods through disgusted, embarassed, sad, appalled, dejected......but disgusted is getting a very good run (and will stay that way for a lot longer than most Aussie batsmen stayed at the crease).

"Being an Aussie I am ready for my shafting so pls give it to me now so I can come back with a fresh outlook after the lunch break" moetownblues

This was no shafting....it was more the Aussies, bent over and parted cheeks and said "come and get me boys, I'm all yours".

Its hard to come back from the lunch break when you have no guts to start it with.

Australia are all out for just 98

Australia's lowest 1st innings score at MCG since 1st ever Test in 1877. 1st time since 1936 Eng have dismissed them in Aus for under 100

A sad, sad day indeed and it is suppose to be xmas. Anyway chin up it's not over untill the fat lady sings, but I wish she would stopping warming up the throat so early.

I can't remember a worse display at home in an Ashes series.

Even during the Packers years we had some back bone.

Spineless is a word that comes to mind.

The Ashes are gone. Might as well make changes for Sydney

because most of this group aren't taking us anywhere.

Regards

Wil

Happy Boxing Australia Around the Ears Day. biggrin.gif

It was jam packed at the UN Irish pub to witness this wonderful display by England.

Australia were bowled out in two sessions minus 45 minutes stoppage for rain!!

Ponting and Clarke the captain and vice captain, both solid leaders, contributed 30 runs (Will please note Clarke was the highest scorer wink.gif).

All batsmen were out caught and it was the Aussies second lowest total ever at the MCG. (See Thailand's post above)

I was impressed by the 90 odd thousand who paid plenty to pack into the MCG, but amazed how quickly it emptied long before play finished, but what's money when you are being humiliated?.....However, I expect there will be another 90,000 there tomorrow to see Cooke and Strauss continue where they left off! whistling.gif

It was Blinky Bill who said after the last test "oh dear"....my response, ditto with bells on, jingling all the way.smile.gif

Edited by uptheos

We're off!!

Howzat?

Being an Aussie I am ready for my shafting so pls give it to me now so I can come back with a fresh outlook after the lunch break. I must admit the pommie bastards are bowling extreemly well. 4/58 OMG.

P.S. If an Aussie calls you a Pommie Bastard it is a term of endearment and NOT derogatory.

My Aussie mates all do and I understand exactly what you're saying. However, if the said 'Pommie Bastard' is followed by a left hook, it is certainly not endearing. sad.gif

Edited by uptheos

Crowd figure of 90,000 plus was a hopeful guestimate. The very reliable web site www.cricinfo .com put it at no more than 80,000. Still a huge crowd. With the Oz economy flying it was not a surprise to see so many turn up. Clark and Ponting again disappointed .For guys with test averages right up with the best they sure are having a shocker of a series. Warne's prediction of an Australian victory because they have momentum is looking a bit suss but maybe he was carried away with news that a statue of him will be erected at the Melbourne ground putting all pigeons on notice.

Crowd figure of 90,000 plus was a hopeful guestimate. The very reliable web site www.cricinfo .com put it at no more than 80,000. Still a huge crowd. With the Oz economy flying it was not a surprise to see so many turn up. Clark and Ponting again disappointed .For guys with test averages right up with the best they sure are having a shocker of a series. Warne's prediction of an Australian victory because they have momentum is looking a bit suss but maybe he was carried away with news that a statue of him will be erected at the Melbourne ground putting all pigeons on notice.

What's your guess at tomorrow's crowd - I know the UN Irish pub will be packed with poms. smile.gif

It's a funny old game isn't it? Same ground, same pitch etc.

One team all out with an average player score of 9.8

The other team only half out with an average player score of 88.8

Bring on Zimbabwe and Bangladesh, so we can have some competition.

(Hope that fat lady doesn't appear again) wink.gif

500683-cricket-101227.jpg

Cricket fans turn up in their tens of thousands to celebrate Test cricket. Picture: Getty Images Source: Getty Images

THEY turned up in their tens of thousands to celebrate Test cricket but most found themselves at a funeral.

The Australian

Considering the number of years that Australia had every other country by the throat when it came to cricket, it's about time there was a turn-about.

Absolutely right Ian.......but it's a bitter pill to swallow for them.........the country is in a state of shock!

But never mind, in 2011 their royal prince William, grandson of their Queen will be getting married, so that will give them reason to celebrate! wink.gif

Edited by uptheos

Considering the number of years that Australia had every other country by the throat when it came to cricket, it's about time there was a turn-about.

Well said Ian.

And it took a Canadian to point out the obvious

to us Poms and Aussies.

Regards

Will

Mate, if the fat lady starts singing any louder,

she'll get done for disturbing the peace!

Anyway, we're only 400 odd behind.

I'm sure Clarke and Punter are due for

a big one ;)

Regards

Will

Mate, if the fat lady starts singing any louder,

she'll get done for disturbing the peace!

Anyway, we're only 400 odd behind.

I'm sure Clarke and Punter are due for

a big one ;)

Regards

Will

Will, do they actually know that a test match runs for 5 days?

Ponting middle stump - Clarke....well, he should have been stumped before he was out. He's averaging 16 in this series!

Oh dear - Blinky, it looks like we've regained The Ashes. biggrin.gif

Edited by uptheos

Mr Shane Warne has been remarkably quiet after his prediction of an Australian victory beacuse they have the momentum. The talent cupboard is bare, for the moment, in Australian cricket. The only players to show any form have been Hussey , Haddin and at times a couple of the bowlers . So what do you do if you are Australian selectors sack Ponting ,Clarke etc ? no you wait until the end of the series and then re build. Will the Australian public turn up at Sydney ? more a wake than a test match.

Mr Shane Warne has been remarkably quiet after his prediction of an Australian victory beacuse they have the momentum. The talent cupboard is bare, for the moment, in Australian cricket. The only players to show any form have been Hussey , Haddin and at times a couple of the bowlers . So what do you do if you are Australian selectors sack Ponting ,Clarke etc ? no you wait until the end of the series and then re build. Will the Australian public turn up at Sydney ? more a wake than a test match.

I'm not sure what you want Warney to say.

He get's paid to give his views and he was incorrect.

He wasn't the only pundit who thought Australia would win.

Yes you're right, the cupboard is bare. But let's not forget

that it took the Poms 24 years to retain the Ashes.

Why wait until the end of the series to rebuild? The rebuilding should

start now.

Ponting still might have something to offer if he drops down the order.

Clarke, Hughes and Hilfenhaus, the jury is still out IMHO.

The public will turn up, don't worry about that. The only thing

we can hang our hat on is that the series is still alive.

Regards

Will

And just when I didn't think it could get any worse.

Ponting's finger is broken and so is my heart.

Michael Clarke has been appointed captain

for the next test. He shouldn't even be in the

side, let alone captain.

After getting beaten by a huge margin, the only

2 changes are forced due to injury. I don't know

whose more incompetent, the selectors or the

players.

Bring on the footy season I say.

Regards

Will

Edited by Will27

Sorry I haven't contributed since the last test, but I am away for a while right now.

Anyway, thanks to those who did contribute whether Aussie or Pom's.

As we have successfully retained The Ashes, I see no need to carry this thread on from my point of view......I got tired talking to myself anyway. :D

Hope the Aussies can re-build, it was all a bit too easy in the end.

So it's goodnight from me and it's goodnight from him.:)

Sorry, I really didn't mean to return, but couldn't resist the opportunity to correct myself.

We have not only retained The Ashes, but won the series by inflicting another humiliating innings defeat.

Oh dear,....:cheesy: :cheesy:

OK I'm definitely out of here.

PS. For Will....I think you are spot on about MC - cheers mate.

Edited by uptheos