Arabs In South Pattaya

wild1

I have spoken to many Arabs who visit Pattaya, they all seem to enjoy their holiday here, stay at hotels and wear western clothing and integrate with other tourists. It seems the problem develops when they decide to stay.

I have had two bad experiences in 'Arab Town' and avoid it now; I can smell the menace in the air, I guess they might be involved in nefarious activities.

If you visit some Middle Eastern countries there are many 'working girls' there, who were recruited from the orient. I know of a few girls who have 'gone to Bahrain or Dubai or Muscat' etc. I fear some might become slaves in these states.

When I was last working in Jeddah there were over 200 Filipina girls living in the grounds of the P. Consulate there, having run away from their jobs as domestics in Saudi households because of problems of abuse. Mostly sexual, but not always. The Saudis treat all foreign workers as slaves, some get a lot of pay (Americans) some get a little less (Europeans, Jordanians, Egyptians) and some get the sticky end (Asians). But all are considered to be below the Saudi. Far below.

The Filipinas usually have to run on their breaks to go shopping - without money, pssport, anything. And they are frequently expected to work from 6 in the morning until 10 at night, seven days a week. Housework, looking after the kids, keeping the old man happy, plus sons, nephews, what-have-you.

Not all like that, but I've known too many of those stories to be able to count them, over the years.

It happens elsewhere, I know. Indonesian girls suffer in Malaysia and Singapore. But not to nearly the extent the girls suffer in the Middle East. And if they're Ethiopian, Sudanese, similar, their Consulates do nothing to help them. The Phillipines Consulates have it all down to a fine art, taking the girls in, negotiating with the ex-employer for passport and wages, sometimes getting them, often not. Arranging with the Saudi authorities for repatriation.

Live and work among a people to really get to know them in their own backyard.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of years ago, I was a volunteer English teacher at the Disabled School in Pattaya Klang. One Sunday, I threw half a dozen of my students into my pickup, and asked them where they wanted to eat lunch. Much to my surprise, they opted for Middle Eastern food. None of them had ever tried it before, but I'd been revving them up about being adventurous with new food.

I pulled up outside one of the Restaurants in Second Road, and as I was wrestling the wheelchairs out of the pickup, two swathy buggars materialised from the restaurant. They sized up the situation..and proceeded to take over. They lifted all the students into wheelchairs, and happily pushed them into the Restaurant.  Tables were pushed together, chairs moved. Nothing was too much trouble.They explained the dishes to the kids--in English. They packed all the kids back into the pickup, when it was time to go.They were GREAT. They treated those kids impeccably...NO..they treated the kids with kindness, respect and love.

Ever since that day, I've wondered how many rabid anti-Arab falang among us have any idea, that like falang...all Men of Middle Eastern Appearance..are not the same.

Open yer eyes boys, and while yer at it...open yer hearts.

Good to read this - were the guys Lebanese, by any chance - most of the good food from the Middle East derives from Lebanon, a little from Egypt.

They sound much more to be so - Arabic-speaking, but not Arabs.

[same family as Sheik Saud Hassan Sharbatly, Father has around 4 wives, and 20 odd children?

If so my old mans been his lawyer in London for over 30 years.

Are you familiar with the Al Dahlawi's, Al Haroon etc. :o

Don't know. Dealt with MS on a daily basis for a couple of years, also with Sheik Khaled bin Mahfouz and his wife Nadja. Built villas for the one, a hospital for the other.

Both were very big in Jeddah, but Shk Khaled fell foul of the Royal Family, so don't know what happened later with him. MS was still running his businesses in Jeddah the last I heard.

Other people in and around Jeddah - Walid Zahid, Moh'd Hussein Al Amoudi, Abdullah Al Amoudi (lawyer), Dr Rais bin Mafouz, so on.

• 2 weeks later...

i am from oman middle east and muscat is the capital .

well we do have working girls as one of u guys said but that dosent mean that we turn them into slaves (not that i approve of wroking girls thing)

im sorry to say that some of u guys are very narrow minded and some are racsits

we dont have to be like u to be normal ,u guys should try to accept the other.

poeple like u from both sides are the trouble makers .

i have read alot of posts in this topic that makes me sick and im happy that few are mature.

u guys judge the arabs that u see .and the ones that turns your attention most probebly is doing something abnormal ,there are so many other arabs the pass by u but u dont realise them (the bad always sticks out) .but u shouldnt judge all arabs on that

come to my country or go to bahrain or even dubai and see for yourself ,ask the brittish or the americans who live there.

its a shame to read what some people have posted here

well we do have working girls as one of u guys said but that dosent mean that we turn them into slaves (not that i approve of wroking girls thing)

i have read alot of posts in this topic that makes me sick and im happy that few are mature.

u guys judge the arabs that u see .and the ones that turns your attention most probebly is doing something abnormal ,there are so many other arabs the pass by u but u dont realise them (the bad always sticks out) .but u shouldnt judge all arabs on that

come to my country or go to bahrain or even dubai and see for yourself ,ask the brittish or the americans who live there.

Come on smb! Name and shame those who you are'nt happy with. :o

Come on smb! Name and shame those who you are'nt happy with. :o

im sure they all know. i rather not call names i will treat people how i want to be treated (respect)

I concur. I have lived in Saudi and Kuwait and let me tell you, it's not only the women that they treat like Sh*te. They treat everyone like Sh*te and the poor Bangladeshi's and Phillipeno's are at the bottom. That is my REAL experience, so much so, that i said stuff your tax free salary, I'm out of here :D

Here Here. If you have not experienced it you would not beleive it. Arrogance beyond beleif. Anyway most of them, their religion forbids booze. :D As for pussy when not married :o:D

Well anyone visiting Bahrain Dubai will know what hypocracy is first hand they can do it cheaper in Thailand. They pay the equivalent of 20000 Baht for short time at these locations

Teenage sailors during Cobra Gold are a bunch or <deleted> too

I was in living dolls showcase and there were a bunch of american guys sitting next to us (by their haircuts I would guess that they were Yank soldiers) :D

Anyway they were acting like total pricks, A guy in front of us was talking to a friend when one of these guys stood up and was acting out the hand job movement then saying rather loudly "I just came on his shirt" firstly that is'nt even funny :D and secondly what a twatish thing to do anyway, The guy at the receiving end was'nt amused but he still just frowned at them and went.

Stupid boys :o

MOst Jarheads are , when they get in a bunch look out . Jackasses

I concur. I have lived in Saudi and Kuwait and let me tell you, it's not only the women that they treat like Sh*te. They treat everyone like Sh*te and the poor Bangladeshi's and Phillipeno's are at the bottom. That is my REAL experience, so much so, that i said stuff your tax free salary, I'm out of here :D

Here Here. If you have not experienced it you would not beleive it. Arrogance beyond beleif. Anyway most of them, their religion forbids booze. :D As for pussy when not married :o:D

Well anyone visiting Bahrain Dubai will know what hypocracy is first hand they can do it cheaper in Thailand. They pay the equivalent of 20000 Baht for short time at these locations

come on still u cant call all of us like that

should i judge all the americans on what i see in mury show?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

should i judge then on jerry springger show?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

or judge all the americans as if they all are (KKK)?!!!!!!!!!!

none of the arab countries are ruleing by the religion and most arabs dont practis it just like any other religion. they all cover there political needs with religion so they get the support and for the media

we have bad people and we also have well behaived ones just like any other country

i dont think u come fromt he city of angles

none of the arab countries are ruleing by the religion and most arabs dont practis it just like any other religion. they all cover there political needs with religion so they get the support and for the media

we have bad people and we also have well behaived ones just like any other country

smb

:D ouch how true. I only uttered those words to some one judging "westerners " based on those shows. You HAVE MY APOLOGY!

I will think before I tarr everybody with the same brush :D to you for your wise words not to the ones I have seen behave like this.

smb

:D ouch how true. I only uttered those words to some one judging "westerners " based on those shows. You HAVE MY APOLOGY!

I will think before I tarr everybody with the same brush :D to you for your wise words not to the ones I have seen behave like this.

thank u so much and beleive me no one in his right state of mind would accept the things u have seen thats why it shocked u and it shockes me if i see it.

no hard feelings

at the end of the day we all go back to addam and eve :D:)

so we are relaited some how :D:D

Will you all please use the quote button at the bottom of the reply as i am trying to read a very interesting subject, but by not using the quotes properly you are making it very difficult to make sense of what is being said :D

As far as my views on the subject, well firstly let me say i am sure not all Arabs are the same but unfortunately the only ones i have met have been arrogant rude and very unpleasent.

I am sure it is the same with any race, i am British and i know all too well the reputation the football brigade give the rest of us peace loving non violent Brits that are just out to have a enjoyable time.

Just like i am sure not all Germans are bad dressers who steal all the sunbeds, or Americans who are loud mouthed and overweight etc etc :o

My wife and all of her friends i have spoken to, all have a severe dislike for Arabs, some of the stories i have heard from my wife who worked in a hotel and her friends who also worked in the same hotel have told me stories of verbal abuse, arrogance threating and lewd behaviour and general unpleasentness.

I tend to take people as i find them, i treat people the way i expect to be treated, if somebody is rude towards me then they will get the same back, if someone is nice then i will be nice beack etc.

It shouldnt be about race it should be about respecting your fellow human.

Will you all please use the quote button at the bottom of the reply as i am trying to read a very interesting subject, but by not using the quotes properly you are making it very difficult to make sense of what is being said :D

As far as my views on the subject, well  firstly let me say i am sure not all Arabs are the same but unfortunately the only ones i have met have been arrogant rude and very unpleasent.

I am sure it is the same with any race, i am British and i know all too well the reputation the football brigade give the rest of us peace loving non violent Brits that are just out to have a enjoyable time.

Just like i am sure not all Germans are bad dressers who steal all the sunbeds, or Americans who are loud mouthed and overweight etc etc :o

My wife and all of her friends i have spoken to, all have a severe dislike for Arabs, some of the stories i have heard from my wife who worked in a hotel and her friends who also worked in the same hotel have told me stories of verbal abuse, arrogance threating and lewd behaviour and general unpleasentness.

I tend to take people as i find them, i treat people the way i expect to be treated, if somebody is rude towards me then they will get the same back, if someone is nice then i will be nice beack etc.

It shouldnt be about race it should be about respecting your fellow human.

i totally understand

the fact is u as a person if u were treated badly u will always remember the incident like where was the person from and all

for example: if your walking on the street and you need a lighter u will stop the first person asking for a lighter,if the guy gives out his lighter to u ,u will light your cigarette thank him and keep on walking u wont ask where is he from .but if he says NO I WONT GIVE YOU.that will stick in your brain and i bet u will tell your friend i met a very rude guy.

just think about it that way if both were arabs or from any other country u will totally forget about it if he handded you his lighter

im sure your wife or her friends have seen arabs with manners but those were normal so it didnt grab there attention

i hope what i just said makes scence

if it didnt bare with me i will put it in a diffrent way :D:):D

Edited by smb

Thailand in general and Pattaya in particular, tend to attract some of the worst kinds of tourist and expatriates of whatever nationality. I would certainly not like to be judged solely on the basis of the way some of my fellow countrymen behave in Thailand.

I spent many years in the Gulf and completely agree with smb that the Omanis, Bahrainis and Emiratis have a very different outlook and national character to say the Saudis and Kuwaitis. Dubai, for example, currently attracts over five and a half million visitors a year (and rising), and they are generally the type of upmarket, high-spending tourists that Taksin and the TAT can only dream about. This would seem to repudiate the picture of some Taliban infested, medieval hellhole which so many posters on this board appear to have - usually without ever having set foot in the area. If you want to meet some of the friendliest and hospitable people imaginable, try a visit to Syria.

The Middle East is a vast area comprising a wide variety of countries, cultures, religions, ethnicities and INDIVIDUALS. Disparaging and condemning all “Arabs” for the actions of a visible minority, is therefore no more rational than reviling all “Westerners” or all “Asians”.

Edited by Rumpole

Thailand in general and Pattaya in particular, tend to attract some of the worst kinds of tourist and expatriates of whatever nationality. I would certainly not like to be judged solely on the basis of the way some of my fellow countrymen behave in Thailand.

I spent many years in the Gulf and completely agree with smb that the Omanis, Bahrainis and Emiratis have a very different outlook and national character to say the Saudis and Kuwaitis.  Dubai, for example, currently attracts over five and a half million visitors a year (and rising), and they are generally the type of upmarket, high-spending tourists that Taksin and the TAT can only dream about. This would seem to repudiate the picture of some Taliban infested, medieval hellhole which so many posters on this board appear to have - usually without ever having set foot in the area.  If you want to meet some of the friendliest and hospitable people imaginable, try a visit to Syria.

The Middle East is a vast area comprising a wide variety of countries, cultures, religions, ethnicities and INDIVIDUALS.  Disparaging and condemning all “Arabs” for the actions of a visible minority, is therefore no more rational than reviling all “Westerners” or all “Asians”.

very true

thank u very much.i totally agree on what u said (Thailand in general and Pattaya in particular, tend to attract some of the worst kinds of tourist and expatriates of whatever nationality)

actually i agree on every thing u said

none of the arab countries are ruleing by the religion and most  arabs dont practis it just like any other religion. they all cover there political needs with religion so they get the support and for the media

Sorry - I have lived for 10 years in Libya - 12 years in Saudi - 2 more in UAE and 4 in Iran.

The Iranis are far removed from the rest - a civilised, generous, friendly people.

With regard to the Arabs, I have worked with the very religious (above ankle robe, no retainer on headscarf) as well as the non-religious. I have respect for maybe one in a thousand. No Palestinians, no Gulf Arabs. Just some of the Saudis and a few Libyans - basically the Aramco and Man-Made River people.

Don't know many Omanis - although I did work out of Salalah about thirty years ago.

No-one has given me any offence especially, this is just general observation of the habits and characteristics of thousands of Arabs in their home environment.

Their offspring(mainly leb) cause more problems in Sydney than any other nationality combined.

They are almost universaly disliked.

Why? Violent,Arrogant,Lazy,completely disrespecting of women excepting their mothers and sisters....and the list goes on.

My experience of them in Pattaya coming to my old bar a couple of years back,was for sure the girls would only go with them if they were 1.stupid or 2.desperate.

The more experienced girls all had a bad tale to tell about them,mainly very stingey,and very manipulative and in some cases very hard to get rid of.

none of the arab countries are ruleing by the religion and most  arabs dont practis it just like any other religion. they all cover there political needs with religion so they get the support and for the media

Sorry - I have lived for 10 years in Libya - 12 years in Saudi - 2 more in UAE and 4 in Iran.

The Iranis are far removed from the rest - a civilised, generous, friendly people.

With regard to the Arabs, I have worked with the very religious (above ankle robe, no retainer on headscarf) as well as the non-religious. I have respect for maybe one in a thousand. No Palestinians, no Gulf Arabs. Just some of the Saudis and a few Libyans - basically the Aramco and Man-Made River people.

Don't know many Omanis - although I did work out of Salalah about thirty years ago.

No-one has given me any offence especially, this is just general observation of the habits and characteristics of thousands of Arabs in their home environment.

Well this all proves that we Arabs are like any other humans

Some people had bad experiences with them and some didn’t

If u asks Arabs about any other nationality u will get the same respond .at the end of the day people should judge others not on race or religion, they should judge every person on his own

Humphrey Bear

I am from salaam by the way

actually i guess all you guys are just tripping....

The Arabs unlike most of y'all, are really down to earth i've met enough Arabs and have lived in most parts of south east asia, YES u do get a bunch of idiots but hey whats new....there are a bunch everywhere...including half of the US,Britain,Aus and most of the so called civilised world...

you guys are 1.either scared shitless of them or 2.dont have anything better to say about them or 3. outright RACISTS

get a life , sort your lives out..Learn....for you only live once and all we have really is our memories and i have to say that i feel that Arabs or at least most of the ones i've met in Pattaya and Bangkok and Malaysia...are all sound people just looking for fun just like all of us, i guess you guys are just pissed cause they all have more money than all our asses....hahahahaha

:o:D