Tourism Authority Of Thailand Sees Bright Prospect For High Season

webfact

Tourism Authority Sees Bright Prospect for High Season

The Tourism Authority of Thailand is moving quickly with recovery campaigns to help tourism businesses badly hit by the recent heavy flooding and to boost the flow of both domestic and foreign visitors during this high season.

Thawatchai Aranyik, Tourism Authority of Thailand, or TAT, deputy governor for domestic marketing, said he expected domestic tourism during the high season this year to be more active than last year as people will prefer to travel to relieve their stress in the aftermath of the political unrest.

At the same time, the Meteorological Department has assured that the weather at the end of this year will be colder than in previous years.

Thawatchai further said political rallies will not affect the overall image of the tourism industry.

As for initial assistance for tourism operators hit by floods, he said the TAT has submitted its assessment of damage on tourist attractions and tourism operators to the Tourism and Sports Ministry to be proposed to the Cabinet for necessary help..

Furthermore, the TAT will organize two tourism events, namely Thailand Best Buys 2010 from December 3 to 12 and Kod Muang Thai Hai Hai Nao from December 9 to 12, at the Queen Sirikit National Convention Center, with more than 500 million baht expected to circulate throughout both events.

Thawatchai said the events aim to facilitate recovery and help tour operators affected.

The booths will be available free of charge.

Meanwhile, Sirichai Lertsirimit, chairman of the Thai Gifts, Premiums and Decoratives Association, stated that the Thai economy has speedily recovered from the global economic crisis.

However, he said the internal political instability, the baht appreciation and natural disasters have caused public spending to fall short of earlier expectation.

However, the country's export continues to show positive growth.

Over the past nine months, export of gifts, premiums and decorative items stood at 764.8 million US dollars, or 23 billion baht, up by 17 percent year on year.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-11-25

footer_n.gif

And Thailand is in the 2nd month of a recession.:whistling:

Well, subjectively I feel I am seeing more furriners around MBK/Siam etc. than this time last year.

was not there something this time last year? i mean riots or demonstrations or something like that?

I am sorry but i would not trust any figures released by BOT or TAT or any other state agency, only because they always seem to change from week to week, contradict each other and hardly ever get it right.

Of course there will be more people during the high season but things to remember and consider

1. Are the people spending same money as before? "There is no point having a bar full of people if no one is drinking, much better to have bar empty with fewer people who are drinking"

2. All the Russians seen in Pattaya, most if not all are on package tours, all paid for, which includes meals.

Again i know some will argue that hotels are full, but i just had 2 friends over and they have no problem booking at 3 hotels(not at the same time, they moved around) which are always full and very popular.

While there might be more people walking around, shops are empty, bars are empty and as i said hotels are not exactly booked either.

One of my friends owns a bike rental shop with a fleet of 120 bikes. By this time last year he was all booked out already,with no bikes to rent at all. this year he always has 15 bikes available.

I am not trying to put down Thailand but i think TAT needs to be little more realistic rather then optimistic, and the reality is world is in trouble, Europe is about to hit big time trouble, exchange rate sucks.

Edited by kuffki

If it wasn't so serious all publications by TAT are a laugh; one week they claim this, the next they promote backpackers or Thailand as an exclusive Hi-So tourist destination.

The only thing the staff at the top is interested in is their salaries and bonuses, if any, next to First or Business Class traveling to far away destinations to promote Thailand.

It's time for a big shake-up.

LaoPo

If it wasn't so serious all publications by TAT are a laugh; one week they claim this, the next they promote backpackers or Thailand as an exclusive Hi-So tourist destination.

The only thing the staff at the top is interested in is their salaries and bonuses, if any, next to First or Business Class traveling to far away destinations to promote Thailand.

LaoPo

When I saw the title, yo-yo was the first thing that came to mind. Tourism is down. Tourism is up. We need to spend money to promote tourism. We expect a good tourist season.

a. as people will prefer to travel to relieve their stress in the aftermath of the political unrest.

b. the Meteorological Department has assured that the weather at the end of this year will be colder than in previous years.

"I have a cunning plan" comes to mind. Not only is the "Deputy Governor for Tourism" (What is a Governer of Tourism anyway)a psychologist, now he believes that weather can be predicted 5 weeks in advance.

You know what honey, the beach/mountains is going to be too cold, and the drive is so stressful. Lets stay home this year.

And Thailand is in the 2nd month of a recession.:whistling:

Well, subjectively I feel I am seeing more furriners around MBK/Siam etc. than this time last year.

was not there something this time last year? i mean riots or demonstrations or something like that?

I am sorry but i would not trust any figures released by BOT or TAT or any other state agency, only because they always seem to change from week to week, contradict each other and hardly ever get it right.

Of course there will be more people during the high season but things to remember and consider

1. Are the people spending same money as before? "There is no point having a bar full of people if no one is drinking, much better to have bar empty with fewer people who are drinking"

2. All the Russians seen in Pattaya, most if not all are on package tours, all paid for, which includes meals.

Again i know some will argue that hotels are full, but i just had 2 friends over and they have no problem booking at 3 hotels(not at the same time, they moved around) which are always full and very popular.

While there might be more people walking around, shops are empty, bars are empty and as i said hotels are not exactly booked either.

One of my friends owns a bike rental shop with a fleet of 120 bikes. By this time last year he was all booked out already,with no bikes to rent at all. this year he always has 15 bikes available.

I am not trying to put down Thailand but i think TAT needs to be little more realistic rather then optimistic, and the reality is world is in trouble, Europe is about to hit big time trouble, exchange rate sucks.

For sure. My friend who has a car rental biz here in Pattaya, says this year is worse than last. He says December is ok, but January is not looking good.....

I don't really understand about the part where they are holding 2 events in Thailand to promote Thai Tourism, unless it is for Thai people. 500 million baht expected to circulate through them, should be loads and loads of tea money available for some

"Thawatchai further said political rallies will not affect the overall image of the tourism industry."

A quote which speaks volumes about the overall image of Thailand's tourist industry .. :whistling:

I guess the 24 hour licensing in Pattaya will not effect the overall image of the tourism industry either. At least it advertises to its largest customer sector.

Phuket seems dead as a doornail. Some of my acquaintances in the hospitality industry are putting their businesses up for sale and ALL of them are rolling their eyes when hearing the glowing media bulletins from TAT and other government agencies.

High season yes but for how long i have just finished with guesthouse although i had bookings but mostly short one's over xmas and new year it will be interesting to see how many guesthouse ,hotel, will be up for grabs in the coming year.

With the Euro and Dollar on a downward spiral, optimism is all the TAT have left. Here it comes, another bad season and desperate tuk-tuk drivers.

Don't Forget the British Pound has been on a dive as well

Nowadays I refer to the Tuk-Tuks as 'Paeng Paengs' they are getting greedy or desperate? here in Chiang Mai also

Best High Season ever for our guesthouse. From mid October been full and now 95% full until mid January then vacancies for a couple of weeks and full for most of February and into early March. All foreign tourists. Tourists are coming. But you need to know how to attract them and be able to offer an experience that isn't solely based on price.

Best High Season ever for our guesthouse. From mid October been full and now 95% full until mid January then vacancies for a couple of weeks and full for most of February and into early March. All foreign tourists. Tourists are coming. But you need to know how to attract them and be able to offer an experience that isn't solely based on price.

If you do not mind, could you please share with me what kind of experience do you offer in a guest house that is not based on price?

The flying water beds? or disposable toilets?

Sorry not trying to be funny, but really wanting to see what experience can a guest house offer for people just to book out non stop.

"Thawatchai further said political rallies will not affect the overall image of the tourism industry."

A quote which speaks volumes about the overall image of Thailand's tourist industry .. :whistling:

I guess the 24 hour licensing in Pattaya will not effect the overall image of the tourism industry either. At least it advertises to its largest customer sector.

the 24 hour license shall not improve tourism , it Will only "shift" people from one aerier to an other bar aerier .....nothing extra ... a budget big or small is named a budget .....and handled as it is

To attract them to Pai, where every thing's to buy? :jap:

For sure. My friend who has a car rental biz here in Pattaya, says this year is worse than last. He says December is ok, but January is not looking good.....

All things considered (world economy) I am suprised that tourisim is doing as well as it has in Thailand...

Best High Season ever for our guesthouse.  From mid October been full and now 95% full until mid January then vacancies for a couple of weeks and  full for most of February and into early March.  All foreign tourists.  Tourists are coming. But you need to know how to attract them and be able to offer  an experience that isn't solely based on price.

If you do not mind, could you please share with me what kind of experience do you offer in a guest house that is not based on price?

The flying water beds? or disposable toilets?

Sorry not trying to be funny, but really wanting to see what  experience can a guest house offer for people just to book out non stop.

Our prices are scarcely creditable, our bathrooms are under renovation but I am  superb in bed, our chef will ensure that you are well fed up, there is a French widow in every bedroom offering stupendous revelations. Our motto is ever serve you right. All it takes to make money is a marketing mind.

"... the Meteorological Department has assured that the weather at the end of this year will be colder" ????

"... political rallies will not affect the overall image of the tourism industry."

"... tourism operators hit by floods, he said the TAT has submitted its assessment of damage on tourist attractions and tourism operators".

I guess Khun Thawatchai Aranyik also consulted the local Old Crone to get the numbers he has also quoted! TAT - a grim reminder that Thailand's PR machine knows no bounds. rolleyes.gif

LaoPo

When I saw the title, yo-yo was the first thing that came to mind. Tourism is down. Tourism is up. We need to spend money to promote tourism. We expect a good tourist season.

Tourism Authority Of Thailand Sees Bright Prospect For High Season

However, the country's export continues to show positive growth.

Over the past nine months, export of gifts, premiums and decorative items stood at 764.8 million US dollars, or 23 billion baht, up by 17 percent year on year.

Thawatchai further said political rallies will not affect the overall image of the tourism industry.

SuperStock_4029R-71240.jpg

Thailand Tourism To See Drop Of 10-15 Percent This Year

Tourism to see drop of 10-15%

By SUCHAT SRITAMA

THE NATION

The tourism business is expected to record a drop of 10-15 percent this year mainly due to the political turbulence midyear, but the future appears bright for 2011.

Prakit Chinamourphong, president of the Thai Hotels Association (THA), said overall tourism should record a drop of 10-15 per cent both in the number of tourists and revenue compared with last year.

"The political problems … were the key factors in the drop," he said. Thread here.

Up... down... up... down...

Edited by cup-O-coffee