Alarmed By Zone Alarm Upgrade

taxexile

i accepted the free upgrade from zone alarm to install z.a.6.0.631.003 and since then have been unable to access most sites on the internet , getting "page cannot be displayed , cannot find server , dns error" messages.

access to e-mail has been hit and miss too.

i uninstalled it and re-insalled version 5.5 , but the problems remain.

everything is fine if i disable zone alarm , which is what i am doing now.

i use the xp sp1 firewall , norton antivirus and spybot.

i cant access the zone alarm help forum unless zone alarm is on and then it gets blocked.

three questions

anybody know whats going on with zone alarm ?

does the zone alarm uninstaller completely remove all traces of the programme ?

am i protected enough without zone alarm?

thanks.

udon , its zone alarm pro .

i've now looked at the users forum and it seems there is a big problem with the download process with no fix yet , there seem to be many users with unusable computers after downloading v.6

manually un-installing then re-installing seems to work , the instructions are given for a manual un-install but i wouldnt feel confident doing it , it seems too daunting.

(manually looking for and then deleting lots of .dll files , safe mode re-booting etc.)

re-installing after using the zone alarm uninstaller works in some cases , but in some cases it causes more problems.

my solution........i have turned zone alarm off and will wait until the company come up with a fix.

just hope my sp1 firewall is ok.

hi'

version 6 of the firewall works great, and some more functions usefull, one thing : disable it if you install or upgrade a known program or a driver, that will give you the peace of mind not to have to answer to question like " xxx.exe is trying to load rundll or is trying to launch yyy.exe at windows startup...etc etc, which is normal :o

ot let it as is, and learn which process works when you install something,

you'll get some surprises :D

francois

The dll files do not reinstall. The error has not been rectified and when you try and uninstall (if you can) the truevector and other files stay running in the background. Manually uninstalling is the only solution in safe mode.

I would drop ZA Suite until the issues are sorted out. I have spoke to ZA staff on many occasion and the issue may lie with malicious code.

My best advice as given earlier is to try the reinstall methods (of which there is a few) on the ZA forum site.

http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/board?board.id=inst

you will find all the info in that direct link. In my opinion the best method is to run ZA firewall and get a new antivirus.

The Bizzare existence of ZA continues........... :o

I had problems too , my internet explorer cookies are disabled by Zone alarm and I cannot sign in at any web serivice which require cookies like yahoo mail and message boards etc. It works fine without zone alarm. I exited the programme and re open the programe it works fine now.

Take 10 minutes to read the documentation

shouldn't that read "take a couple of days to read the documentation

and another couple of days asking around to get it explained to you " ????

for those not too familiar with computers , some of the instructions and help offered with computer software and hardware assumes a level of knowledge far greater than most of the consumers who are targeted by the marketing of the stuff possess.

and when we inevitably run into problems we are accused of being stupid or negligent.

as far as computers go ...... it IS rocket science. !!

:o

Zone Alarm is a stupid piece of software, get rid of it. It's useless. Get Tiny Personal Firewall instead or better, use your router built-in firewall

I still don't get it why users still try to use that POS

Edited by Butterfly