Suvarnabhumi Airport To Sukhumvit Soi 4

qiqi557

taxi is by far the easiest way, i have travelled from ratchada soi 4 (not a million miles away from sukhumvit) to suv in 20 mins by taxi before, granted it was around 3am and a hair raising ride. Taxi all the way i say.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

taxi is by far the easiest way, i have travelled from ratchada soi 4 (not a million miles away from sukhumvit) to suv in 20 mins by taxi before, granted it was around 3am and a hair raising ride. Taxi all the way i say.

If it was 3 PM, it could take 20 minutes just to get over Rama 9 (300 metres away).

• 2 weeks later...

Another Alternative:

Take the Airport Express route no.3 (see AE3 route at http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/node/55) for 150B. Then get out at Soi 6 (Stop no.10) or at Soi Nana (Stop no. 16, the last stop). Then take a taxi to Soi 4 (fare should be minimal as the two stops are so close to Soi 4). You may not even need a taxi unless your hotel is deep in Soi 4.

I haven't tried this myself. What do experienced Bangkok travellers think of this alternative?

and the even cheaper variant via Phayathai and the BTS system, which I do not recommend for newbies.

Why? There is a pedestrian link to go the BTS, I'm struggling to see what issue a newbie would face. And using the BTS is easy.

I am a regular BTS user in BKK.. I have been out of Thailand for 4 months.. Where in the airport do I get the BTS to Phayathai ??? The transfere in BKK to Sukumvit line sounds easy ?? I do not like taxis as they are just downright dangerous..My last Taxi to the airport was doing around 160khp all the way.. Thats just not on !!! I always arrive in BKK about 8pm .. I go on to Cha-am but always prefer to stay in BKK and go there fresh in the morning NOT by TAXI ...Its not the money that is the issue .. 2000 bt to cha-am in a taxi is ok by me but not at his speed sitting on someones tail all the way !!!

I am a regular BTS user in BKK.. I have been out of Thailand for 4 months.. Where in the airport do I get the BTS to Phayathai ??? The transfere in BKK to Sukumvit line sounds easy ?? I do not like taxis as they are just downright dangerous..My last Taxi to the airport was doing around 160khp all the way.. Thats just not on !!! I always arrive in BKK about 8pm .. I go on to Cha-am but always prefer to stay in BKK and go there fresh in the morning NOT by TAXI ...Its not the money that is the issue .. 2000 bt to cha-am in a taxi is ok by me but not at his speed sitting on someones tail all the way !!!

"BTS to Phayathai ?" Actually, it's the City Line, or ARL, or something. Not actually the BTS.

Anyway, it's in the basement. There should be plenty of signs. Make sure you get the City Line (slow) train, not the Airport Express which stops at Makkasan instead of Phayathai.

Use the Tollway Exit near Tobacco Factory than drive further to Plonechit Center, make a right turn into it after that follow the lines and you will be on Soi 2 near JW Marriott Hotel. (Don't drive down the parking lot ofcourse)

Make a right turn, drive strait ahead and turn left into Raja Parking area (its oposite the Majestic Grande Hotel)

Collect 20 Baht ticket and drive straight to Soi 4.

Save you the hassel on Soi 1 Tollway Exit.

"BTS to Phayathai ?" Actually, it's the City Line, or ARL, or something. Not actually the BTS.

Anyway, it's in the basement. There should be plenty of signs. Make sure you get the City Line (slow) train, not the Airport Express which stops at Makkasan instead of Phayathai.

With 2 horrific accidents on the overhead tollways in the last 6 weeks I wonder whether the Bangkok TV members are going to recognise that there are valid concerns about taking a taxi from Swampy. Those of us who prefer public transport get a bit peed off with the affordable/easy/lazy arguments coming from the hug-a-road brigade.

Edited by SantiSuk

As most people have said take a Taxi Meter! Just follow the signs inside the the airport for the public taxi's. Tell the driver to use the expressway and pay the toll. You won't be much more than 250baht and enjoy the wacky races!

No replies from the OP... a bit annoying to not know if he/she has even read any of the advice...

Easiest - OK Speed.

Walk down to the public taxi rank on Level 1.

* Kerbside attendant will ask what hotel, and write this in Thai to give to the driver.

* When you taxi arrives, he will write the taxi number on your slip and give it to you, and give the slip with the address on it to the driver.

* Driver will usually ask if you want to take the tollways. YOU DO! you will have to pay the tolls as you go.

* At your hotel, pay the driver the meter fare, plus 50 Baht Airport Fee.

* The driver and/or kerbside attendant may try and set a fixed fare that is often double the meter. just say you want the meter.

* The taxi driver will usually not know which is your hotel, so keep an eye out when you are on Soi 4.

* Once off the expressway, there might be heavy traffic jams, depending on the time of day.

* There are about 10 different ways to get from the expressway into Soi4, and a time difference of 30 minutes between them in peak hour (to cross Th Sukhumwit from Soi 3).

* It is unlikely that you will be able to tell the Taxi Driver which way to go, because he will have almost no English, but try 'RongNgan Yasub' (Factory Tobacco) and he might get the hint. You might have to pay 20 baht to the carpark guy to let you through.

* There is often a 15-20 minute wait at the taxi-rank.

Less easy - bit faster.

* go to the top level, and get a taxi that has just dropped off a passenger.

* Tell him "sukhumwit soi 4 - tollway" or "Sukhumwit Soi See- tollway" or "Soi Nana - Tollway".

* When you get off the expressway, tell him your hotel.

* Ignore anyone who isn't in a taxi, ignore anyone in the airport, or standing beside a taxi not dropping off a passenger. They will be trying to get you into a private car, or a taxi but won't want to use the meter.

* It is a little less safe, because there is no record of the taxi number, but I don't think there is any real risk.

* It is a little faster because there is no queue, and 50 baht cheaper (about the price of half a beer, no real saving).

* It is even less likely the driver will no your hotel without being given the full address by the Kerbside Attendant.

* The driver might try to negotiate a fixed rate by saying a number "500 OK?", just insist on "Meter, Meter" and they will usually just turn on the meter.

* again try saying "Tobacco Factory, or Factory Yasub or Rong Ngan Yasub" or all of them, to try and get him to go the quickest way... but they don't go the other way for extra money, it is just because they don't know the faster way.

Much less easy - Faster or slower depending on traffic.

* catch the train as above.

* from Nana BTS to any hotel in Soi 4 is a painful walk with any luggage, at any time of day.

* I use the BTS every day when I am in BKK, but wouldn't consider it with luggage for this reason.

* Trains don't get stuck in traffic jams. I have been in Taxis, stuck in a jam (for no reason) of an hour without moving...

Cheers,

Daewoo

• 1 month later...

Thanks alot for your kind information.What about the travelling time? Will there be any major traffic jam? Thank you once again!!

Or if you are the adventurous type, or into saving the environment or wanting to save money, go to the bottom level at the airport and get the Cityline train (not the Airport Express - there are two different walkways with the name CityLine or Airport Express marked on them). Get a ticket at the amzingly discounted price of 15 baht (50 US cents) to Makkasan and get a taxi from there (well marked taxi rank) for about 80 baht. Journey time 40-55 minutes. Have done it with heavy roller luggage, not a problem.

I've done this trip myself at least 4 times in the last 3 months - and the even cheaper variant via Phayathai and the BTS system, which I do not recommend for newbies.

It's a very new quick elevated light rail link which is why most of the posters above are stuck in the road option past (they are probably non-Europeans too!)

Why the hel_l would you go through all that trouble, to save 200 baht? A taxi to sukhumvit and use of the tollway is 400 thb at max. jeez.

Urrum, because if it rains or it's rush hour or it's before a weekend or it's a holiday or..or..or.....you could have a very long frustrating trip sitting in the taxi for hours. This is Bkk after all.....the gridlock city.

And of course it's much cheaper and safer and more convenient and nobody is going to scam you.

Edited by ES1

• 3 weeks later...

I´ve had both painless rides and horrible rides in taxis during the years when I have been in Bangkok. Most of them great! Cheerful drivers that I always tip extra.

If they don´t want to turn on the meter I reject them saying "bai!"...

But in this occasion where we must have in mind both the cheapest, fastest and less inconvenient way to get from swampy to Sukh, I´d say take the slow train and get off closest to Sukh and get a taxi from there.

Depending on arrival time, probably in the morning or any time until 7 pm there is a big chance that there will be the usual traffic jams.

Although in January (the same day the Haiti earthquake struck...) a year ago I arrived with Etihad at 7 am around and caught a taxi outside arrival close to 9, got the ticket from the staff, sat in the taxi with meter turned on and was ready to give the driver the toll money. To my surprise he just laughed, shooked his head and said "no, no toll..." and pointed to our left cause he took the non toll way. The ride to Rama IX Radisson Hotel took about 25 minutes and I gave him an extra 150 B tip.

My conclusion, if you arrive in the morning, grab a cab with meter and ask the driver to not take the tollway the city is packed with traffic jams.

If you arrive during the day, take a cab with meter but consider the train and get off to take a cab with meter.

Evening/night arrivals go for a cab!

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

I will be traveling from Suvarnabhumi to the BTS Nana stop. My journey will begin at around 2pm on a Sunday. During that time of day, will I find difficulty with fitting on the Airport Express and BTS with one large suitcase? Thanks in advance.

I will be traveling from Suvarnabhumi to the BTS Nana stop. My journey will begin at around 2pm on a Sunday. During that time of day, will I find difficulty with fitting on the Airport Express and BTS with one large suitcase? Thanks in advance.

Choices are:

- Taxi - take toll way to Sukhumvit exit. Cost will be about 300 baht.

- Airport Link Express - to Makkasan, walk 500m to Petchaburi MRT (opening bag at security), catch MRT to Sukhumvit (1 stop), walk up to Asoke BTS, catch BTS to Nana. Cost will be less than 200 baht.

- Airport City Line - to Phayathai (end of the line). Walk across to BTS and catch BTS around to Nana. Cost about 80 baht.

You should have no problem with a large suitcase on the Airport City Line or BTS on a Sunday. I'd take the Airport city line option, unless you had a long walk from Nana to your hotel. Even then, you could probably get a taxi for a short trip if you really needed it.

Thanks alot for your kind information.What about the travelling time? Will there be any major traffic jam? Thank you once again!!

Or if you are the adventurous type, or into saving the environment or wanting to save money, go to the bottom level at the airport and get the Cityline train (not the Airport Express - there are two different walkways with the name CityLine or Airport Express marked on them). Get a ticket at the amzingly discounted price of 15 baht (50 US cents) to Makkasan and get a taxi from there (well marked taxi rank) for about 80 baht. Journey time 40-55 minutes. Have done it with heavy roller luggage, not a problem.

I've done this trip myself at least 4 times in the last 3 months - and the even cheaper variant via Phayathai and the BTS system, which I do not recommend for newbies.

It's a very new quick elevated light rail link which is why most of the posters above are stuck in the road option past (they are probably non-Europeans too!)

Makkasan is now 40, did it on saturday promotional price has gone, non stop 150 baht, came in same time as city train it did not have 1 passenger on. if you got a lot of bags the city train gets very full. would say train is best option traffic can be bad from airport.

follow the signs "train to city". Go to the machine , buy a token(45 baht) and get on the train to the PHAYA THAI station, thence follow the signs and walkway to the PHAYA THAI station. Go to another machine , buy a ticket (40 baht) and go to the NANA station. When you arrive at the NANA station follow the signs to the Landmark hotel , exit 2. You're not going to the hotel, just walk along Sukhumvit rd past the hotel on your left . A short distance later you'll arrive at the first intersection which is Sukhumvit / soi 4. Turn left on soi 4. Listen to the girls shrieking and carrying on. You have arrived. This method is not recommended if you have heavy and/or a mutlitude of luggage. Better to take a taxi. I believe the city train hours of operation are 0600-midnight , if you're on a United or Delta flight the train to city may not be possible.

My wife and I were stuck in her sister's car on the expressway for over an hour in the same place. The total time from airport to hotel was more than two hours. This time it was because a red-shirt protest (we were told, however, I have no confirmation). Last year, we were delayed going to the airport because of an overturned car on the expressway (by the way, traffic still moved better than it would have in the US. I'm sure in the US they would have closed all lanes of traffic in both directions to make room for the loads and loads of emergency equipment to handle just a few cars in an accident). And yet another time it took about 35 minutes to get off the expressway onto Sukhumvit.

The problem with the expressway is the unpredictable nature of it. And once stuck, it is very difficult to get off. So for me, I think the reliability of the rail link far outweighs the convenience of a taxi. When in town, I'll take a BTS over a taxi any time I can even if the BTS will be more expensive.

Dave.

No replies from the OP... a bit annoying to not know if he/she has even read any of the advice...

Actually he seems to have read a reply and did respond, though not to all the supplementry discussions

Actually he seems to have read the advice and has replied and did respond, though not to all the supplementry discussions

Edited by theoldgit

• 3 weeks later...

Have read through this thread. Since most comments are dated and I want to decide this week, I wanted to check my conclusions. I need to go to Suv from Sukh 10 (top of the soi and about equidistant from Nana and Asoke). I have a cabin size bag on wheels and a satchel.

For the non-stop train: I take MRT from Sukh/Asok to Petcahburi, walk 500m to Makkasan and catch the train. (500m walk is rollable on wheels? not too many stairs?)

For the city line train: I take BTS to Phaya Thai and catch stopping train. (stairs? room for bag and seat availablity on this train?)

Comparative times?

The website for airport train etc mentions asok as a stop on the city line - presumably a mistake?

Thanks for updating me.

Have read through this thread. Since most comments are dated and I want to decide this week, I wanted to check my conclusions. I need to go to Suv from Sukh 10 (top of the soi and about equidistant from Nana and Asoke). I have a cabin size bag on wheels and a satchel.

For the non-stop train: I take MRT from Sukh/Asok to Petcahburi, walk 500m to Makkasan and catch the train. (500m walk is rollable on wheels? not too many stairs?)

For the city line train: I take BTS to Phaya Thai and catch stopping train. (stairs? room for bag and seat availablity on this train?)

Comparative times?

The website for airport train etc mentions asok as a stop on the city line - presumably a mistake?

Thanks for updating me.

The city line train stops at Makkasan (Asoke / Petchaburi).

Catching the BTS to Phayathai, you will need to walk down the stairs from the platform to the ticket level (no need to go down to street level), then it's a short walk (100 - 200m) across to the City Line station. I don't know if it's an escalator or stairs up to the platform level.

The train leaves every 20 minutes and takes about 30 minutes (I think) to get to the airport

Thank you for the details of the train from Phaya Thai.

Any similar details on the bts from asok to petchaburi / makkasan to take the direct train to suv?

Comparative times?

Thanks for updating me.

The city line train stops at Makkasan (Asoke / Petchaburi).

Catching the BTS to Phayathai, you will need to walk down the stairs from the platform to the ticket level (no need to go down to street level), then it's a short walk (100 - 200m) across to the City Line station. I don't know if it's an escalator or stairs up to the platform level.

The train leaves every 20 minutes and takes about 30 minutes (I think) to get to the airport

Any similar details on the bts from asok to petchaburi / makkasan to take the direct train to suv?

If you're going to take the express train, then you would probably take the MRT from Sukhumvit to Petchaburi and avoid the BTS all together.

There would be no stairs to worry about except for the 5-10 steps up to and down from the MRT entrance / exit.

The walk from Petchaburi MRT to Makkasan is not too difficult, except for crossing the soi and railway line, but should be easy with a rollable bag.

The biggest hassle for you is to get across Sukhumvit to the MRT entrance. I assume Asoke is just as close to Soi 10 as Nana BTS, but possibly it would be easier to get to Nana BTS and catch the BTS to Asoke - probably not worth it though.

If you're going to take the express train, then you would probably take the MRT from Sukhumvit to Petchaburi and avoid the BTS all together.

There would be no stairs to worry about except for the 5-10 steps up to and down from the MRT entrance / exit.

The walk from Petchaburi MRT to Makkasan is not too difficult, except for crossing the soi and railway line, but should be easy with a rollable bag.

The biggest hassle for you is to get across Sukhumvit to the MRT entrance. I assume Asoke is just as close to Soi 10 as Nana BTS, but possibly it would be easier to get to Nana BTS and catch the BTS to Asoke - probably not worth it though.

Thanks. No, getting to Sukh MRT will be ok; there's a lift up from the street to Asok BTS and then down to the MRT and its escalators.

How long is the walk from Petchaburi MRT to Makkasan?

Thanks. No, getting to Sukh MRT will be ok; there's a lift up from the street to Asok BTS and then down to the MRT and its escalators.

The lift at Asok BTS takes you inside the ticketed area. I don't think you would be able to use it just to cross the road.

The walk from Petchaburi to Makkasan is about 300 metres.

Thanks for that info.

They should make a dedicated walkway from Petchburi to Makkasan. I'll do an preliminary recce to check the ease or difficulty of the 300 yards.

The lift at Asok BTS takes you inside the ticketed area. I don't think you would be able to use it just to cross the road.

The walk from Petchaburi to Makkasan is about 300 metres.