Loving Soi 4

Dominicsmeg

I gues you are referring to Silom Soi 4? Most gay places are a novelty at first, and I used to spend a lot of time in places like that. Now I avoid them as over time it gets very boring. Why not spread your wings to some other gay areas like Lumsalee (near the Mall Bangkapi), or the bars close to the Kamphengphet MRT station?

Edited by Guest

I haven't been down in the Silom Soi 4 area for a number of years now, but for many years I was a regular there every Friday night and on holidays. I lived very close to the area, so it was easy and convenient. Now, I am living quite a bit further away and I guess age catches up to you with regards to late nights!

Now, I don't know many people that live down there, so it feels a little less welcoming than it was before, but still a great place to go 'people watching.'

Welcome to Thailand, Dom. After the UK (or most western countries), Thailand is welcoming to gay people. You can be yourself! I am glad you have found a place you like. Depending on whether you are visiting as a tourist or have relocated here - please do not limit yourself to Bangkok.

Visit the gay capital of the universe (Pattaya). Then when you have a gay overload - take the time to get into the countryside and meet the 'real' people. Hopefully you will have the time to make a friend and they will show you around.

Peter

I agree with everything that has been said in this thread so far, even if it may sound contradicting. Silon soi 4 was my living room, the place were I went to wind down after a hard day's work, it was the place where I met new and old friends, and now it is a place where I like to go and have beer once in a while, meeting up with friends from Thailand or other parts of the world.

The Greek and the Spanish restaurants are indeed good (not only for lunch, I have had many dinners there), and so still is Sphinx, the Thai restaurant at the end of the soi.

• 2 weeks later...

The Greek and the Spanish restaurants are indeed good (not only for lunch, I have had many dinners there), and so still is Sphinx, the Thai restaurant at the end of the soi.

... and at the end of the soi,Nomad's (not gay), a good evening place for live music (not thai remix). and small Singha 60 baths.

... and at the end of the soi,Nomad's (not gay), a good evening place for live music (not thai remix). and small Singha 60 baths.

Thanks, I'll give that a try (maybe tonight). Usually, I avoid places with live music in Thailand, as the music is often so loud that a conversation is impossible.

• 3 weeks later...

A new bar had its opening last night in Soi 4. Called "Sugar Bowl" it's on the right side as you enter the Soi just before the Spanish restaurant. I did not go in but may try tonight.

Soi 4 was very, very busy last night with the main crowd being, as usual, between Balcony and Telephone. At 11pm we had difficulty getting a seat outside on the street and had to have our first drink at Bas bar before moving back to Telephone later.

For those of you that are 'into' chubbies, the Bearbie Bar next to Balcony had a lot of big guys going in there.

Ahhh...good old Silom Soi 4...so many memories, mostly good ones. In the early 90's (my newbie days in Thailand), I went to the Rome Club there (any of you remember that club ?) quite often ; sometimes twice a week. Those times, bars/clubs could stay open till 5 am or so. Me, being young back then, often danced almost non-stop from midnight till 4 or 5 (now, 1-2 hours of dancing is enough for me). Back then, I didn't go to the Telephone or Balcony (wish I had). Me and a few good mates of back then played snooker at a local snooker place and then went to a bar or two before heading for the Rome. I sometimes went there alone too.

Anyway, then, I was away from Thailand for several years. In the late 90's and early 00's, I was back in Thailand again. Sadly, the Rome Club had ceased to exist. But, then, I sometimes went to the Balcony and Telephone Bars. But anyway, since the early 00's, Bangkok nightlife ceased to be a lot of fun for me both because I had gotten older and also because of the 2 am curfew thing. Nowadays, when I travel to Thailand on holiday, I still go to Soi 4, maybe once or twice a week or so ; mostly to Telephone and/or Balcony, to have a few beers and to people-watch :)

I haven't tried the Spanish or Greek restaurants there yet though ; will give them a try on my next visit.

Cheers,

Jem

JemJem said "Me and a few good mates of back then played snooker at a local snooker place and then went to a bar or two before heading for the Rome"

Yes the Rome was one of the best gay clubs until a certain nasty incident killed it very quickly. The same location has been the site of several failed ventures and some Thais think its cursed, an idea reinforced when part of the building collapsed a few years back.

As for snooker, that was probably Molly's Place which later became Balcony, that opened several long years after Telephone.

• 2 weeks later...

JemJem said "Me and a few good mates of back then played snooker at a local snooker place and then went to a bar or two before heading for the Rome"

Yes the Rome was one of the best gay clubs until a certain nasty incident killed it very quickly. The same location has been the site of several failed ventures and some Thais think its cursed, an idea reinforced when part of the building collapsed a few years back.

As for snooker, that was probably Molly's Place which later became Balcony, that opened several long years after Telephone.

I had actually meant 'local' in the sense where I was staying that time. I was staying in Saphan Kwai back then....and the snooker club I meant was the one in Saphan Kwai. I've just wanted to clarify this :) Oh, and I didn't know that where Balcony was, there used to be a snooker club. Interesting.