What Is The (Official) Typical Fine For Minor Driving Mistakes

ihightower

Today i was coming from a side street... onto a two way road. (coming from the perpendicular side road to the main road).

officially.. cannot make a right turn (only left allowed).

and it was Saturday.. and not much traffic.. i easily made a right turn with no issues..

just as soon as i made the right turn.. there was the police.. stopped my car and standing with a pen in his hand..

and mumbled (no right turn allowed)...

and my next immediate reaction was just take B100.. gave him..

and he smiled.. off i go.

---

Had I not given the B100.. what would have happened..?

What is the official procedure like?

Is it worth the effort to go through the process.

what are the typical official fines and processes for these things..?

some of the stuff i was involved with

- stopping in a no parking zone.. i didn't know it was no parking zone (paid B600 unofficial... as car was locked).

- making these left/right turns.. while officially not allowed. (paid B100 today)

- went through the auto toll then realized that it is auto toll.. and had to reverse back.. (paid B200 un official in one instance for this).

- changing lanes from the extreme right to the left so as not to get in on the highway entrance (paid B200 once).

- went through the bus lane.. didn't know it (paid B200)

Hope those experienced with the rules, regulations and laws can shed some light.

i hold a thai 5 yr driving license.. and am asian.. i don't speak, read or write Thai.. just limited vocabulary of say about 30 words.

Edited by ihightower

I believe max fine for minor traffic offence is still 1.000 baht. But a lot of hazzle to get to nearest police station to pay, go back to officer with payed fine to get drivers lisence, if you find him. Or get drivers lisence back at policestation after 6 pm

New fines for redplates used more than 30 days, covered white plates, no reg, etc is max 10.000 baht

from what I know, it is 400 baht for a illegal u-turn and changing lanes at the white line. it is always better pay the police off.

speeding and red-light is at 500, pay anything that is lower than the original fine.

it is good to bargain at times.

if I can't come to a conclusion of a price with the traffic police, I will let then take my license and give me a ticket.

I never really paid a fine before, when they took my license, I asked for a close friend of mine who is police officer to retrieve it for me.

it is really a hassle if u take your license and u will have to go to wherever the police station is, queue, wait, and then pay the fine. points may be deducted. what u did was right.

A partial list of fines.

http://thailaws.com/.../tlaw0140_5.pdf

these are all max legal fines

eache Policedistrict decides their fines within these limits, upcountry its usually 200 baht for any offense, while in pattaya and patong they are 3-500 baht for not wearing helmet

Speeding on the Highways caught by Highway Police is still usually 200 baht, while local Police may have higher rates for same offence

Here in Bangkok seems illegal turns and lane changes run in the 400-500 Baht range based on my personal experience of car window negotiations. Each negotiation was assisted by the Thai wife who just happen to be with me when I got abused. Seems some window negotiations are not really cheaper than an issued ticket (based on your location in Thailand), but it does possibly save you the hassle of going to police station XYZ to pay the fine and get your license back....and also having something in the ticket database that someday may mean something when it comes to insurance renewal time, etc. Getting off for 100 baht is a real bargain...wish i could buy a bunch of 100 baht traffic ticket coupons to use for traffic ticket window negotiations instead of cash....Thai's use coupons a lot to buy food in food courts; why not also use them for traffic fine car windows negotiations. ;)

Here in Bangkok seems illegal turns and lane changes run in the 400-500 Baht range based on my personal experience of car window negotiations. Each negotiation was assisted by the Thai wife who just happen to be with me when I got abused. Seems some window negotiations are not really cheaper than an issued ticket (based on your location in Thailand), but it does possibly save you the hassle of going to police station XYZ to pay the fine and get your license back....and also having something in the ticket database that someday may mean something when it comes to insurance renewal time, etc. Getting off for 100 baht is a real bargain...wish i could buy a bunch of 100 baht traffic ticket coupons to use for traffic ticket window negotiations instead of cash....Thai's use coupons a lot to buy food in food courts; why not also use them for traffic fine car windows negotiations. ;)

well said.