Apple Iphone Update 4.2.1 Warning

pitrevie

Connected my iPhone 3 to my computer and was informed Update 4.2.1 available. Everything going okay and then the iPhone showing not connected and unable to do anything with it. Took it into True alongside Paragon and they reloaded the system. Same message a few days later so I tried again with the same results. This time True told me lots of people having the same problem so I asked them to update it for me which is what I thought they would have done in the first place.

Maybe go back to 4.1 - I think Apple are still signing the firmware, so you can still get your SHSH blobs if you don't have them. I don't get the whole firmware update thing unless there's some profoundly obvious advantage. My old 3G is still on 3.1.2, runs just fine, and I'll keep my 4 on 4.1 for the foreseeable future.

Maybe go back to 4.1 - I think Apple are still signing the firmware, so you can still get your SHSH blobs if you don't have them. I don't get the whole firmware update thing unless there's some profoundly obvious advantage. My old 3G is still on 3.1.2, runs just fine, and I'll keep my 4 on 4.1 for the foreseeable future.

The True shop loaded Update 4.2.1 along with their reload of the OS and now everything works fine.

Can't really see how True can have a different version of 4.2.1 to itunes but anyway... I notice you have an iphone 3 - is that a 3G or 3GS? How's that working out for you on ios 4 and above? (assuming it's a 3G). The consensus amongst 3G owners seems to be that ios 4 and above is unrunnable on the 3G because it's just too slow.

AFAIK 4.2.1 doesn't get you anything on the iPhone.

It's mainly a release for the iPad,which went from 3.2 to 4.2.1 and got all the goodies like multitasking and unified inbox.

I don't know what, if anything, changed from 4.1 to 4.2.1. So, I am keeping my iPhone 4 on 4.1.

I'd also recommend keeping the original iPhone 2G and 3G (without the S) on the 3.x release. 4.x is too slow on these older devices.

Edited by nikster

Can't really see how True can have a different version of 4.2.1 to itunes but anyway... I notice you have an iphone 3 - is that a 3G or 3GS? How's that working out for you on ios 4 and above? (assuming it's a 3G). The consensus amongst 3G owners seems to be that ios 4 and above is unrunnable on the 3G because it's just too slow.

I have the iPhone 3GS which is now using OS 4.2.1, I am running iTunes version 10.1.0.56. No problems whatsoever connecting in Bangkok and even on the beach in Pattaya and downloading email which is very fast compared to my previous phone. I did own the HTC Desire and found the keyboard impossible for my aging digits but the iPhone I must admit is a dream to use.

4.2.1 has a baseband check which will obviously cause some issues if you have unlocked your phone.

Don't think this necessarily an issue since people are currently updating to 4.2.1 and flashing the 06.15.00 baseband (yes, this is an iPad baseband) onto iPhones because 06.15.00 is vulnerable to the old AT+XAPP exploit. Not sure this is a great idea. Having an iPad baseband on an iPhone is fairly compelling evidence of hacking, so no more warranty for them.