Painters Chalong Area

RaeB

Needed 2 good painters for about 10 days work (inside house) in the Chalong area. Any recommendations and contact details for honest / good guys who do the work themselves and work preferrably on a dayrate?.

I have got a number of "lump sum" quotes BUT the prices are ridiculous - I'm happy to pay top rates direct to the painters themselves but I'm not happy that the "boss man" is lining his pockets by doing little and getting his price by doubling, if not a lot more more, the wages he pays the workers.

Thanks for your help

Best of luck. Over many years we have never found anyone willing to paint on a 'day rate'. They all (and I include self employed guys) want a high lump sum payment.

Once you have had guys painting for you through a company, couldn't you then tap them up to work for you in their own time. I've never known a tradesman that isn't happy to do private jobs on the side.

I've never needed to do it myself, but if I was in your podition with properties/Hotel?? that's what I would try to do.

My understanding is you received at least 1 quote (not too expensive IMO) which was direct from the painters themselves & for which the "boss" man added 15% for going out of his way to try & help ensure a good job. The other quote was certainly too high but remember any company who has their own team of workers quite often has to house them, transport to & from the job, pay them even when they don't work otherwise he will lose them. Interested to know what other quotes you had. What happened to the day rate guy?

My understanding is you received at least 1 quote (not too expensive IMO) which was direct from the painters themselves & for which the "boss" man added 15% for going out of his way to try & help ensure a good job. The other quote was certainly too high but remember any company who has their own team of workers quite often has to house them, transport to & from the job, pay them even when they don't work otherwise he will lose them. Interested to know what other quotes you had. What happened to the day rate guy?

I appreciate the cost that companies have, keeping staff on their books. BUT, that will be offset by paying the guys peanuts.

I agree with the OP. It's much nicer to find guys that are good at their job, pay them double what they would be getting through their company, and still pay less for the job than you were quoted. Everyones a winner.

Finding them however, is probably easier said than done.

I appreciate the cost that companies have, keeping staff on their books. BUT, that will be offset by paying the guys peanuts.

I agree with the OP. It's much nicer to find guys that are good at their job, pay them double what they would be getting through their company, and still pay less for the job than you were quoted. Everyones a winner.

Finding them however, is probably easier said than done.

coming from the west this seems a win win.

However what do you do if one of them falls down from 12 meters? Building here, I used to have 30-70 employees, and I know what I had to do as an employer. I payed them % of salary while healing, found easier jobs first days or weeks, took them to hospital, yepp my pickup is also an ambulance ;)

Now I prefere to hire a "company" to avoid responsibilities and hazzle. As posted by Valentine, 15% mark up for a boss is inexpensive

post in the classifieds, ive found good help this way, usually via referrals. I would also suggest paying a job rate, not a day rate and of course buying all the supplies yourself. This way you know what it will cost and not a baht more. I had built a 3meter by 3meter concrete building and with everything it cost under 50,000. I just asked the builder how long and how much he wanted for the job, and bought all materials myself (hiding in my truck while to builder negotiated)

However what do you do if one of them falls down from 12 meters? Building here, I used to have 30-70 employees, and I know what I had to do as an employer. I payed them % of salary while healing, found easier jobs first days or weeks, took them to hospital, yepp my pickup is also an ambulance ;)

Now I prefere to hire a "company" to avoid responsibilities and hazzle. As posted by Valentine, 15% mark up for a boss is inexpensive

That's a fair point, but that was your duty as an employer. If someone comes in to your house on a self employed basis, or doing work for a friend basis, then none of that would be relevent. (legaly I mean. Obviously you would still do the right thing, and take care of him, but it would be on your terms, no legal obligation)

You obviously have experience on a large scale, and for big jobs then going through a company would be easier. I was thinking more of having your house re-decorated by some local tradesmen that you have got to know over the years, friends of neighbours, that sort of thing.

Edited by BangTaoBoy

That's a fair point, but that was your duty as an employer. If someone comes in to your house on a self employed basis, or doing work for a friend basis, then none of that would be relevent. (legaly I mean. Obviously you would still do the right thing, and take care of him, but it would be on your terms, no legal obligation)

You obviously have experience on a large scale, and for big jobs then going through a company would be easier. I was thinking more of having your house re-decorated by some local tradesmen that you have got to know over the years, friends of neighbours, that sort of thing.

No duty or legal responsibility as an employer. No social security or society pays for operation for employees. Theyr on their own, and thats why they are willing to work for 2-500 baht a day for an employer who takes care of them when needed.

So the question remains, for you, me and all others, what do you do when one of them fall down and brake his leg? Even minor paintjobs, as are typical this time of year, I prefere a boss and his mark up. :)

post in the classifieds, ive found good help this way, usually via referrals. I would also suggest paying a job rate, not a day rate and of course buying all the supplies yourself. This way you know what it will cost and not a baht more. I had built a 3meter by 3meter concrete building and with everything it cost under 50,000. I just asked the builder how long and how much he wanted for the job, and bought all materials myself (hiding in my truck while to builder negotiated)

I needed a new wall built and got a couple of quotes which I thought were excessive, espeically since it's just some steel, concrete block and hand mixed concrete. Ended up having the wife buy all the material and we got some friends of a friend type setup to do the labor. Total cost came to 34K instead of the 60-70 quoted.