Fire At The Classic Car Museum

sticklee

On Thursday or Friday before Loy Khrathong a fire at the Classic Car Museum destroyed a building and six classic cars stored inside. I stopped on my bike ride on the Sunday and the cars were still inside. When I returned to take some pictures they had been hauled out. It looks like they are being cut up for scrap. Very little appears to be salvageable, if anything. The building also looks to be beyond repair. No injuries and they don't think a kom loy was the cause.

post-96577-0-81757200-1290948508_thumb.j

post-96577-0-27227300-1290948687_thumb.j

post-96577-0-16019600-1290948915_thumb.j

post-96577-0-05313400-1290948996_thumb.j

post-96577-0-98151900-1290949068_thumb.j

My wife was told yesterday that it was an electrical fault of some kind. We have friends in common and went there for a meal last year where we got the chance to look at the cars close up. Most were potential restoration projects and yet to be started but he had a couple of nice ones that were finished too. A shame to see just how devastated it looks.

<br />My wife was told yesterday that it was an electrical fault of some kind.  We have friends in common and went there for a meal last year where we got the chance to look at the cars close up.  Most were potential restoration projects and yet to be started but he had a couple of nice ones that were finished too.  A shame to see just how devastated it looks.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

This is, of course, a very sad event and I sympathise with Khun Kietisak, the owner, who has saved many fine vehicles from the scrapman here in the north over many years.

However, all the better cars from this site were sold to the big Jetsada Museum between Bkk and Kanchanaburi about a year ago, and his remaining 'star cars' (and arguably Thailand's oldest surviving bus!) are still safe at another site.