Tak, Sukhothai, Umphang Things To Do

trav3501

The standard tour in Umphang is to go to Ti Lor Su waterfall, but you can also go to another waterfall. That one is all the way rafting with some small rapids.You camp near the small waterfall and next day you walk back or ride on the back of an elephant. Nothing spectacular, but different from the standard tour of hiking, rafting, hill tribe village and elephant ride.

Lot's of hill tribe villages in the area, mostly Karen. But I suspect the current border situation will not allow you to go to some of the more interesting villages.

For Umphang the high season starts now, because of all the extra long weekends the Thais will have. If you want to stay in the weekend better book in advance.

Depending how long your stay is in Sukhothai, you need to hire bicycles or motorbike to get around all the Heritage sites in Muang Kao and the forest road sites or you can hire a taxi motorbike samlor, there is a museum as well and a market in the village, there are late night Restaurants with live bands in new Sukhothai, a full size outdoor swimming pool, there is the Sukhothai Mountain park with a restaurant and a small museum and you can climb the mountain on foot by a mountain path, it has three peaks and fantastic views, you can stay at the top in tents which you can hire for the night and then make your way down the next day.

It is sad sometimes when you see people come here doing the wam bam Thai coach tour or the one overnight stop and end up seeing next to nothing.

Anyway the choice is yours if you want to know places to stay PM me, enjoy and have a good holiday.

Edited by Kwasaki

Hey, if you're in the Sukhothai province, don't miss Sisatchanalai historical park. Not quite as big, I find it more interesting and more authentically preserved than the Sukhothai old city. Also, there is a very very old temple just a half kilometer or so outside the Sisatchanalai old city that pre-dates the Sukhothai era.

Hey, if you're in the Sukhothai province, don't miss Sisatchanalai historical park. Not quite as big, I find it more interesting and more authentically preserved than the Sukhothai old city. Also, there is a very very old temple just a half kilometer or so outside the Sisatchanalai old city that pre-dates the Sukhothai era.

There's very old Temples in the Sukhothai park area as well which pre-date Thai population of Siam (Thailand).

One once was a Khmer Mahayana Buddhist temple dated around 1181.

Parts of what is know now as Thailand goes back to the Stone-age.