Internet Cafes

ChrisP

Ok.. what IS it with trying to print something at an Internet Cafe in BKK...??! :D

I know, I know... all people wanna do is play online games....

But, SOME of us actually have to work, and don't have ADSL in their apartment!

I can't begin to tell you the frustrations I've had getting ANY Internet Cafe to print something from IE, OR from the amazing Universal Wordprocessor "WordPad". (Don't even bother asking for Microsoft Word.... or Adobe PDF Viewer) :o

Evene IF they have a printer... it either doesn't work.. or is only connected to SOME of the 12-15 machines... One cafe has both a Laser AND an Inkjet/Fax machine.. but not on every machine... and depends on the day of the week if they even work.

Today I had to copy from an e-mail into wordpad, then save to a floppy, then give it to the Internet Cafe guy, who finally managed to print it on his Inkjet.

Oh, and by the way IF you don't have a printer connected, WordPad won't show you the "Print Preview" or Page-Breaks etc.

Sigh. The Dark Ages of Computing has not left LOS. :D

Anyone know of a RELIABLE cafe w/printer anywhere in BKK...??!

ChrisP

Edited by ChrisP

Ok.. what IS it with trying to print something at an Internet Cafe in BKK...??!  :D

I know, I know... all people wanna do is play online games....

But, SOME of us actually have to work, and don't have ADSL in their apartment!

I can't begin to tell you the frustrations I've had getting ANY Internet Cafe to print something from IE, OR from the amazing Universal Wordprocessor "WordPad".  (Don't even bother asking for Microsoft Word.... or Adobe PDF Viewer)  :o

Evene IF they have a printer... it either doesn't work.. or is only connected to SOME of the 12-15 machines...  One cafe has both a Laser AND an Inkjet/Fax machine.. but not on every machine... and depends on the day of the week if they even work. 

Today I had to copy from an e-mail into wordpad, then save to a floppy, then give it to the Internet Cafe guy, who finally managed to print it on his Inkjet.

Oh, and by the way IF you don't have a printer connected, WordPad won't show you the "Print Preview" or Page-Breaks etc.

Sigh.  The Dark Ages of Computing has not left LOS.  :D

Anyone know of a RELIABLE cafe w/printer anywhere in BKK...??!

ChrisP

:D

I know what you mean.

However, I was in BKK in June. Stayed at the Ambassador Hotel. Nearby there was an internet place that was well maintained and had a printer that worked. Printed a couple of emails. This place is very close to the Ambassador, in one of the walkways into the hotel.

Don't want to overplay it, because these places change rapidly and can turn bad in a short time. However, in June the place I am refering to had a friendly Thai woman working there who seemed to be compatent in running the place. I saw her help a number of people print out their e-mail and even reports for their office. They seem to have some Farangs working nearby that bring reports/correspondence in to this place to get it printed. The Thai woman who works there seems reasonably experienced at helping them do the printing they want.

One problem seems to be that at most times the printer is out of paper. Guess that is to stop people from printing a lot of junk and wasting paper. Yes, they do charge a couple of baht (don't know what their rate really is) for each page you print.

Drop in by the Ambasador, and check it out.

:D

there is real good HIGH HIGH SPEED INET CAFE near BTS/WorldPlaza with business service. Good rates, good service.

In general avoid the obvious places where only kids (and grown-up kids) just sit in and spend a nice long gambling day. It is total waste of time and money to ask them for biz solutions...

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for the places...

Of couse, my brain thinks that if you own an Internet Cafe business here, and you have a printer connected.. (even if 90% of your customers want games) in order to offer "Value-Added Services" and make a bit more money from the occaisional customer at 10baht/page... wouldn't you WANT to make sure the printer is connected and working..?? :o

Ahh, but that's WAY too logical for LOS.....

Mai pen rai.

ChrisP