After Probation For 119 Days, Can Probation Be Extended?

If an employee has completed 119 days of probation and in theroy he fails the probabtion (does not meet target), but he has really put in a lot of effort in working....can I extend his probation in any way? I know the law states probation is 119 days maximum...

but someone said I could ask this employee to "re-apply" for the job and start all over again if he is willing.

Had a similar case recently and was advised by our HR Manager that probation can be extended by 1 further month but no longer than that.

Reality is will an additional month make a difference? What is the staff member going to do differently in that month that they haven't done already?

All the best,

GG

triplegee: How did your HR manage that? I thought the law states 119 days....my friend told me the way to get around this is to have the employeee "re-apply" for the job all over again. I wonder if that's what your HR Manager did?

(I'm not comfortable with getting the employee to "re-apply" though..)

Edited by Zen

triplegee: How did your HR manage that? I thought the law states 119 days....my friend told me the way to get around this is to have the employeee "re-apply" for the job all over again. I wonder if that's what your HR Manager did?

(I'm not comfortable with getting the employee to "re-apply" though..)

I thought the law stated 120 days, one thing that Ive never seen mentioned is this 120 day probationary period 120 consecutive days or could it be interpreted as 120 working days ??

Edited by Spoonman