Do Thais Whistle?

alobar

I know it's not a question of the caliber usually entertained here on TV, but....it occurred to me the other day while whistling down the road, that i'd never ever seen it, other than the mechanical ones used for the ferry, or the drum majorette ones used in the parking lots.

'You know how to whistle don't ya?. Just put your lips together and blow.':whistling:

Has anyone ever seen a Thai whistle? or is it just not done?

Edited by alobar

Not exactly one of those things I've ever paid attention to, but I can relate one incidence to Thais whistling. One summer years ago my mother came over to visit during the summer which I was spending in Thailand. We did quite a bit of traveling around the country and for a few days were staying in Nakhon Ratchasima (I forget the name of the hotel...the one that later collapsed). My mother was a whistler and usually would whistle the same tune. On about the third day as we pulled back into the parking area and started walking back into the hotel, all three of the fellows that worked out front began whistling her tune. Quite cute really.

Yes, as mentioned, my mother used to freak out on my dad when he whistled, especially at night. She said that the spirits of the dead would hear, it would catch their attention, and they would try to investigate. Basically, it brought spirits to you. She really freaked out if he did it at the house. She didn't want any spirits in the house. So that is mostly why. Sometimes I catch myself whistling when I get some strange looks, and then shut my mouth.

The head Fabricator at my work whistles.

you have someone who makes heads where you work?

dam_n! I've heard of innovation, but that takes the biscuit!

Can I get a new one? When I was in the line for heads, I thought they said "beds" so asked for a large fluffy one :blink:

Roamer, that rocks!

I honestly wish my life had taken a few different turns and I had managed to be in that audience. Its strange what you appreciate later in life. Maybe I will see them before I make my last trip to boot hill :unsure:

Roamer, that rocks!

I honestly wish my life had taken a few different turns and I had managed to be in that audience. Its strange what you appreciate later in life. Maybe I will see them before I make my last trip to boot hill :unsure:

Thanks Loz. I know what you mean, didn't ever think The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain would be my cup of tea either... :rolleyes:

add my thanks to that of Loz, Roamer. That was great. I've never seen the original before. I used to sing with a group over 50 years ago and my lady at the time played the ukelele for the group. It has a haunting sound you don't get with a guitar.

Yes Thais do whistle! I have it on a reliable source at a freefall parachute comp for Thai nationals some time back, there was a team of all women naturists had entered. They jumped in, in the buff, (of course) and yes they were whistling in, sounded like, what I can only imagine a Stuka dive bomber attack would sound like as they hurtle out of the sky. Too be honest the noise was said to be more akin to the sound made when one blows over a bottle opening.

<br /><font size="3">Yes Thais do whistle! I have it on a reliable source at a freefall parachute comp for Thai nationals some time back, there was a team of all women naturists had entered. They jumped in, in the buff, (of course) and yes they were whistling in, sounded like, what I can only imagine a Stuka dive bomber attack would sound like as they hurtle out of the sky. Too be honest the noise was said to be more akin to the sound made when one blows over a bottle opening. </font><br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

Me too. Did you know, by the by, that Stukas were equipped with specially designed tubes under the wings to create that terrifying sound in addition to the engine (and the guns and bombs)? The object? To terrify!

<br />Yes, as mentioned, my mother used to freak out on my dad when he whistled, especially at night. She said that the spirits of the dead would hear, it would catch their attention, and they would try to investigate. Basically, it brought spirits to you. She really freaked out if he did it at the house. She didn't want any spirits in the house. So that is mostly why. Sometimes I catch myself whistling when I get some strange looks, and then shut my mouth.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Did you say in another context recently that your mother was Thai? If so, it adds more understanding.

I was once at a sports event on a clear, sunny morning, waiting for it to start and standing a few yards away from a rather senior-looking Thai woman. Without really being conscious of it, as I was quite happy, I began to whistle some tune - and got a look which would have fried me if I'd been smoking. So of course I shut up. It's her country, not mine.

I have NEVER heard a Thai man whistling (other than those bib and inane car park attendants) and bar girls are the only female whistlers I've heard. I've never gone parachuting with naked females. Or without.

Come back Roger Whittaker, eh?

add my thanks to that of Loz, Roamer. That was great. I've never seen the original before. I used to sing with a group over 50 years ago and my lady at the time played the ukelele for the group. It has a haunting sound you don't get with a guitar.

Roamer, that was really good. Thanks for sharing. Do you have one from the Bridge on the River Kwai? That was also a stunning piece of whistling.

Fabulous stuff Roamer, thanks. [do you just key 'stuff I would like' into youtube?]

Thanks guys, always nice to know when something is appreciated. The link to it was actually emailed to me in error some time ago and I remembered it when I saw this thread. Anyway Thailoneus here is your request. :D Must admit I've heard this tune in my mind whenever I've visited the war grave cemeteries in Kanchanaburi, and for those who make the trip out to Hellfire pass, well you just have to shake your head in amazement and admiration for those guys.

Asked, was told 'Yes, it is a bad thing, [they] think a ghost is going to slap your mouth and it will get stuck like this' [showing a mouth twisted to the side as if Rocky took a punch in the face].

As a side-note, I haven't seen people snap their fingers either...no West Side Story-moments here...

Edited by TAWP

I'm a compulsive whistler, and some Thai friends told me it was rude to whistle, although they never mentioned ghosts. I thought this was odd, as I was sure I'd heard burmese construction gangs whistling.Then my brain started working and realised that the group of friends that told me were mostly burmese, who do whistle. Go figure?

Yeah they do whistle everytime Im in the freakin car park they seem to think i cant park a car without their (useless) help, arms flailing about but looking elsewhere, I'd love to see them go to a supermatrket in the UK it would be pandomonium when there was no one there to help them park :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: I see LED torches are now all the rage for any would be parking attendant, yeah lets blind me now instead eh :angry: