Car Insurance Class 4 And Class 5

Sheryl

Just bought a new (used) car and thinking of getting more than 3rd party coverage, specifically want some protection in case it gets totalled by someone who either has no insurance or flees the scene.

The car cost 260,000 so not looking for massive coverage, and don't mind a deductible either. Looking for say at least 200K in event of total loss.

Now I think I have figured out what "class 1" "class 2" and "class3" coverage means in Thailand, but after a trip to the local Viriyah office it seems there is also a class 4 and even a class 5.

Can anyone explain what exactly these cover? Local office had nothing in English. I believe the rep said class 5 will cover up to 200K damage to own car as well as 3rd party, but as she was one of these people who thinks the best way to communicate with a non-native Thai speaker is to speak as loudly and rapidly as possible, can't be sure. Also as the premium is less than half what I was quoted for class 1, there must be more differences between the 2 than were made apparent.

Can anybody elucidate?

And on related note, can anyone insured with Viriyah confirm if they have English speakers readily available by phone (I know none in their local office, but that'sw going to be the case with any company for where I live)?

Thanks!

Funny how when you ask someone speaking thai to speak slower because you don't understand......they just repeat the same words at the same speed but louder and when you still don't understand they just keep on saying exactly the same again but louder.....reminds me of John Glease talking to the deaf person in Faulty Towers... I think that it is difficult for Thais as their consonants and vowels have a set length and they don't like to draw the pronounciation out ....this has happened to me many times sometimes for 10 iterations maybe if they could just explain what they are saying with simpler words........

Viriyah Insurance has a Foreign Relations Department open during working hours for any queries.

Khun Supichai, is available at // or at 02-641-2846, dial 0 for operator, ask for Foreign Relations Dept or Khun Supichai.

I live in Phuket and usually when I phone Viriyah after hours, the operator will get someone to call me back who speaks English. But it is easier to get a thai friend if available to call.

Sanuk

Edited by Tywais
e-mail removed as per forum rules

Viriyah is an insurance company who often say different things to other insurance companies and so tend to make it hard for their customers - plus their general lack of English can present problems.

There is no Class 4and 5 as such but I think they are getting it mixed up with Class 2 +1 and Class 3 + 1. These two products are the standard 2nd or 3rd Class with an addition of an agreed amount for your vehicle if involved in an accident with another vehicle. These are good alternatives for the older vehicles up to 15 years.

OK then, @+ or 3+ must be what they meant, altho they have posters that refer to it as Class 4 and class 5.

Oddly it is very hard to get any info on these options. I don't even see them listed on an ywebsuites, they all show Cklass 1 as the only thing that includes coverage to your own vehicle.

I live in Prachinburi, no where near Chiang Mai, and the local Viriyah office speaks no English at all. Unfortunately neither does anyone at the only other insurance company with an office in Prachinburi.

I know there are companies which are more English-speaking-friendly but none of these as far as I can tell have an office in or even near my province, which concerns me. I don't want to have to wait hours for someone to get to me if there is an accident.

Does anyone know how that works? i.e. do companies have arrangements with someone in provinces where they have no office to respond to calls? How do I figure out iof a company has the capacity to send someone to my location in a timely manner?

OK then, @+ or 3+ must be what they meant, altho they have posters that refer to it as Class 4 and class 5.

Oddly it is very hard to get any info on these options. I don't even see them listed on an ywebsuites, they all show Cklass 1 as the only thing that includes coverage to your own vehicle.

I live in Prachinburi, no where near Chiang Mai, and the local Viriyah office speaks no English at all. Unfortunately neither does anyone at the only other insurance company with an office in Prachinburi.

I know there are companies which are more English-speaking-friendly but none of these as far as I can tell have an office in or even near my province, which concerns me. I don't want to have to wait hours for someone to get to me if there is an accident.

Does anyone know how that works? i.e. do companies have arrangements with someone in provinces where they have no office to respond to calls? How do I figure out iof a company has the capacity to send someone to my location in a timely manner?

Sheryl do not fear, you are not the only one who lives outside the main areas ! The reputable companies have people all over the country waiting to help you 24hrs a day should you have a problem. A phone call to a central number will start the process and the nearest engineer will be alerted and sent to you - just make sure you know where you are otherwise they will have trouble locating you.

As for information on the companies web sites I cannot comment but then that is why one should use the services of a reputable Broker ;)

1st Class covers damage to your car. It also includes 2nd and 3rd Class coverage.

2nd Class covers Fire damage to your car and Theft of your car. It also includes 3rd Class coverage. Beyond fire, it does not cover any damage to your vehicle.

3rd Class covers liability to 3rd parties, for injury, death and property damage. It doesn't include coverage for your car in any way. But it does provide bail bond coverage to get you out of jail.

It also provides some PA coverage and some Medical treatement coverage for driver and passengers.

4th Class and 5th Class( Viriyah is the only one to call them that) are actually 2nd Class - plus and 3rd Class - plus

2nd Class plus and 3rd Class plus are relatively new coverage ideas in Thailand and are actually marketed under different names. They offer some cost advantages for older cars.

2nd Class plus adds Colision coverage (only with another vehicle) to the Fire & Theft coverage.

3rd Class plus only adds colision with another vehicle coverage, no Fire & Theft.