Killing The Golden Goose

torasap

I tried to help out my BIL a couple of years back. He and his wife wanted to 'borrow' 10,000 baht to buy stock that they could sell at the local market. I agreed to help out, but instead of giving him the cash, would go with him to the wholesaler and pay the bill.

We went to the wholesaler, and I left him to choose his stock. When the bill was added up it came to 30,000 baht. He was pissed off with me because I told him to put back 20,000 bahts worth because the limit was 10,000, and no more. He asked if he could pay back 1000 baht a month. I told him 500 would be okay. He never paid any back.

A couple of months later, a SIL asked to borrow 100,000 baht. I said, yes, no problem. You give my wife the papers to your land, and you can have them back when you pay back the loan.

That worked!!!! Didn't see her for dust :lol:

Amongst a certain segment of society a loan is not a loan - its an expected gift.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried to help out my BIL a couple of years back. He and his wife wanted to 'borrow' 10,000 baht to buy stock that they could sell at the local market. I agreed to help out, but instead of giving him the cash, would go with him to the wholesaler and pay the bill.

We went to the wholesaler, and I left him to choose his stock. When the bill was added up it came to 30,000 baht. He was pissed off with me because I told him to put back 20,000 bahts worth because the limit was 10,000, and no more. He asked if he could pay back 1000 baht a month. I told him 500 would be okay. He never paid any back.

A couple of months later, a SIL asked to borrow 100,000 baht. I said, yes, no problem. You give my wife the papers to your land, and you can have them back when you pay back the loan.

Amongst a certain segment of society a loan is not a loan - its an expected gift.

Dear Lord. Are you EVER going to get over the fact you were dumped for a local woman? Have you EVER asked yourself WHY? Are you ever going to stop sniping at other people's 'life choices', however misadvised (including your own?) or not? Are you ever going to post anything of interest? Do you EVER take on board the constant reflections on your judgmental mindset?

It's time to get over yourself. And, as many others have suggested, 'get out more', albeit belatedly. BBC

I'm so sorry that I told you that I didn't like you or your morals.

But its time to get over it and move on with your life, rather than chasing me on TV posts.

I realise you have no life (or friends), but even so - pursuing grudges will not help you gain them.

Edited by F1fanatic

p.s. If you're that desperate to put me down, do it by PM or email - TV is the wrong place, its not fair on anyone else

Oh, and don't forget to come on under another name to 'get' at me - I'm stupid enough to only use the one poster name!

Or then again, perhaps I don't have to hide behind different poster names?

Edited by F1fanatic

Dear Lord. Are you EVER going to get over the fact you were dumped for a local woman? Have you EVER asked yourself WHY? Are you ever going to stop sniping at other people's 'life choices', however misadvised (including your own?) or not? Are you ever going to post anything of interest? Do you EVER take on board the constant reflections on your judgmental mindset?

It's time to get over yourself. And, as many others have suggested, 'get out more', albeit belatedly. BBC

But its time to get over it and move on with your life, rather than chasing me on TV posts.

I realise you have no life (or friends), but even so - pursuing grudges will not help you gain them.

Do elucidate exactly what you 'don't like about my morals?

Do elucidate exactly what you 'don't like about my morals?

And how you came to the conclusion 'I have no life or friends?!'

Just for clarification, you're not talking about all Thais. You're talking specifically about your wife's family, or your wife's sister. It would make more sense if you were to suggest that your wife's sister is greedy and stupid and foolish, and maybe that your wife's entire family is like this, including her, and maybe you were stupid to marry her....which would make more sense than asking "how can (all) Thais be so stupid to ruin things for themselves...." when this really has nothing to do with the average Thai-at-large.

Dissagree entirely---this IS majority of Thais, I have been here 31 years, this is widespread, this is the norm, If you ==as you said, you think these stealers are a minority---get around more--rural--mix with rural people,, but city people can be the same. Have you blinkers on--or in denial. The only thing I aggree with you on is NOT ALL THAIS..there are some fantastic people out there---but be on your guard.

You should be clear and honest and say that this represents the majority of Thais that YOU'VE MET. Which is...what, around .001% of the population? I must run around in a different circle because I completely disagree with you. But as they say, "birds of a feather, flock together."

Just for clarification, you're not talking about all Thais. You're talking specifically about your wife's family, or your wife's sister. It would make more sense if you were to suggest that your wife's sister is greedy and stupid and foolish, and maybe that your wife's entire family is like this, including her, and maybe you were stupid to marry her....which would make more sense than asking "how can (all) Thais be so stupid to ruin things for themselves...." when this really has nothing to do with the average Thai-at-large.

Dissagree entirely---this IS majority of Thais, I have been here 31 years, this is widespread, this is the norm, If you ==as you said, you think these stealers are a minority---get around more--rural--mix with rural people,, but city people can be the same. Have you blinkers on--or in denial. The only thing I aggree with you on is NOT ALL THAIS..there are some fantastic people out there---but be on your guard.

You should be clear and honest and say that this represents the majority of Thais that YOU'VE MET. Which is...what, around .001% of the population? I must run around in a different circle because I completely disagree with you. But as they say, "birds of a feather, flock together."

I can't say that it is the majority of Thais, but it seems exceedingly common.

I agree with one poster though who said close friends and family are the worst. You may say you trust them but it is this very trust that screws you into giving loans that don't get paid back. I, after having been burned, have a simple philosophy - when asked for a loan I just say no. No explanations why not, its my money and I do not have to explain myself.

I can't say that it is the majority of Thais, but it seems exceedingly common.

It's exceedingly common in the UK as well, but again, its not the majority.

Berkshire is right, you have a certain set of posters on this forum who seem to be on an anti Thai crusade.

A Thai person they met ripped them off, so they're ( Thais ) ALL bad, but what about the Farangs that have ripped them off during their lifetime, are Farangs ALL bad too, this of course would include themselves as they're also Farang ?

A Thai driver cuts them up, so ALL Thais are bad drivers, but have they ever driven in their own country and been cut up by one of their own countrymen, if so, are their own countrymen ALL bad drivers, this of course would include themselves ?

A policeman stops a Farang for not wearing a helmet on his Honda click, so ALL Thai policemen are on a witch hunt for Farangs, the fact that 300 Thais were stopped at the same checkpoint goes over the paranoid Farangs helmetless head.

ALL Thai men drive whilst drunk, yet when I'm out in Pattaya I see Farangs who can hardly walk cos they are so drunk get into their Fortuners/ Pick up trucks or get on a bike and drive/ride off, does that mean ALL Farangs are drunk drivers ?

All Thais are lazy, really ? Who built the house or the condo you live in, who serves in the shops and bars you frequent, who grows the rice you eat, who cooks your food in the restaurant, who stamps your passport, who flies the plane when you fly Thai Airways, who tends the hospitals you go to in Thailand, who provides the security for the condo you live in that cost you more than many Thai people will earn in a lifetime, and they still smile at you and treat you well, who drives the taxis, motorcycle taxis and so on and so on, so obviously not ALL Thai people are lazy are they ?

Lazy are the bums in the UK who choose not to work because they get government handouts, again its not ALL who fit into this catagory, but I know many who have 3 holidays a year on the strength of government handouts and working illegaly.

Really chaps, you choose to live in Thailand, you have a Thai wife, Thai children, Thai family, and you still cant stop putting Thailand down. If a Thai person were to read some of the anti Thai posts on this forum, what would they think, that ALL Farangs are anti Thai.

Yet it's not ALL Farangs that fit into this catagory, just some, in fact a minority if the truth was known, just like the minority of Thai drivers are bad, Thai police who are after Farangs, Thai men who drive drunk, and the Thai people who are out to rip you off, and of course, lazy Thai people are a minority as well.

Wake up guys, and stop being so paranoid. You chose to come to Thailand to start your new life, you chose to have a Thai wife, you knew you couldn't own land, you knew you couldn't vote, you knew you needed visas to stay here, stop complaining and enjoy yourself, you're dead a long time mates. smile.gif

Edited by GM1955

Wake up guys, and stop being so paranoid. You chose to come to Thailand to start your new life, you chose to have a Thai wife, you knew you couldn't own land, you knew you couldn't vote, you knew you needed visas to stay here, stop complaining and enjoy yourself, you're dead a long time mates. smile.gif

I accept all that, but nobody told me I wouldn't be able to get a drink in Bangkok for 30 hours (over this weekend) because of 'pre-election' rules.

Nana and Cowboy were like Bognor sea front on a cold and wet February afternoon.

I agree with one poster though who said close friends and family are the worst. You may say you trust them but it is this very trust that screws you into giving loans that don't get paid back. I, after having been burned, have a simple philosophy - when asked for a loan I just say no. No explanations why not, its my money and I do not have to explain myself.

I also agree Garry.

Last year I sent my Brother 500 Pounds to help over a rough patch in the UK, now deep down inside I suspect that it went straight in the local pub, but he's my Brother and by circumstance I've been more fortunate than him in life so what he does with it really doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things, I consider myself lucky to be in a position to dole out 500 quid and not worry about it. Truth be known, I'd have felt worse not helping him out when I knew that I could.

So yes, Family is always a tough one, but if my Brother was in my position and I was in his position, maybe he'd help me out too, and I'd really be grateful, be it paying the Electric and Gas bill or pissing it up the wall in the local pub, I'd be grateful for sure. smile.gif

Berkshire is right, you have a certain set of posters on this forum who seem to be on an anti Thai crusade.

I once wrote on this forum:

"Many years ago, when the Germans travelled abroad they came by tank, which was nice because then you were allowed shoot back"

For this sentence I got suspended, the moderator motivated the decision with "you are a racist". I'm not questioning the decision or the moderation.

However, with the above in mind I am confident there are several examples where a similar identification of racism could be made. Please not that I'm not talking about TV exclusively. I agree with GMsperception that certain individuals have no other agenda than to speak badly about anything that’s Thai, something I personally interpret as racism.

I accept all that, but nobody told me I wouldn't be able to get a drink in Bangkok for 30 hours (over this weekend) because of 'pre-election' rules.

Nana and Cowboy were like Bognor sea front on a cold and wet February afternoon.

Cardholder, I was out last night in Patters till 4am, no problems here.

You know, I still wanna buy you a few beers, get away from the trouble and strife for a few hours and I'll show you the sights. biggrin.gif

Edited by GM1955

After having a similar experiance years ago I vowed I would never lend again....

Earlier this year a family friend needed money for his daughter's wedding ( thai/thai ) my wife has her own money but before lending she asked me if minded, I said " up to you" but you know all about last time right? she lent this guy 42,000thb, no terms or conditions, to my surprise 3 months later he arrived at our door with 42,000thb plus 5,000 interest and a bottle of Chivas, so I guess all people are not the same....Would I lend again? H E L L N O....the scotch was good though :rolleyes:

Would I lend again? H E L L N O....the scotch was good though :rolleyes:

You said your wife loaned the money, not you.

42,000 Baht, 3 months later loan repaid plus 5000 baht on top, that's one heck of an interest rate, and a bottle of Chivas, Supaprik, next time he/she wants to borrow money at those terms PM me, I'm game.

I lent my ex GF and her husband 1.2 Million Baht, I had 7 months of feeling uncomfortable, I was paid back with 50,000 Baht on top, now that's much more than I would get in a Thai bank, but would i do it again ? HELLNO..... 50,000 baht was good though. rolleyes.gif

Really?

I found it a very rare thing in the UK, and I grew up and spent most of my life on a council estate.

Yeah, and I was born on a council estate and then ended up in Childrens home and then ended up back on a council estate when I was 15, what does that mean, absolutely nothing.

You are just looking at things through prejudiced eyes my friend, I just hope you look at your Thai wife or your Thai children differently.

Really, you're trying to say that Farangs are good and Thais are bad, I know, typical for this forum, but totally wrong.

And if you think, by any stretch of the imagination that no Farangs will never rip you off, you are very much mistaken, and will you lend me 500,000 Baht, I promise I'll pay you back.

Why not, I'm a Farang, I can be trusted can't I ?

Edited by GM1955

Really?

I found it a very rare thing in the UK, and I grew up and spent most of my life on a council estate.

Yeah, and I was born on a council estate and then ended up in Childrens home and then ended up back on a council estate when I was 15, what does that mean, absolutely nothing.

You are just looking at things through prejudiced eyes my friend, I just hope you look at your Thai wife or your Thai children differently.

Really, you're trying to say that Farangs are good and Thais are bad, I know, typical for this forum, but totally wrong.

And if you think, by any stretch of the imagination that no Farangs will never rip you off, you are very much mistaken, and will you lend me 500,000 Baht, I promise I'll pay you back.

Why not, I'm a Farang, I can be trusted can't I ?

What the beejaysus are you on about now? I made an observation based on my experiences of living in the UK, just as you did.

Count to 10 and try again

What the beejaysus are you on about now? I made an observation based on my experiences of living in the UK, just as you did.

Count to 10 and try again

Good point Moonrakers,

We can only make unbiased opinions on our own experiences, c'mon mate, I dont know how old you are but I remember women leaving the milkmans money in an envelope pinned to the door, would they do that nowadays, I dunno, are there any milkmen like the old days , again I dunno, I've been away too long, how many people would leave a house key under the doormat nowadays, I'd hazard a guess at not many, yet maybe 50 years ago it was never a problem.

Whatever the situation is or was in the UK has nothing to do with your life in Thailand, the land you chose to live in, by choice, the land that you could also leave by choice, unlike 99.999% of Thai people who don't have that luxury of choice of whether to stay or go.

You have the choice, they don't.

And, you still stay, so you must be happy, it must be acceptable to you, or you'd be gone in a heartbeat, right ?

Considering the fact that this isn't your country and you have a multitude of choices, the choices that are just not available to Thai people, from Thailand, the very country you CHOOSE to be in, you just have to be happy.

smile.gif

Edited by GM1955

Whatever the situation is or was in the UK has nothing to do with your life in Thailand, the land you chose to live in, by choice, the land that you could also leave by choice, unlike 99.999% of Thai people who don't have that luxury of choice and whether to stay or go.

So why did you mention your experience? I was just responding to your comment.

Is it OK with you to say things that make Thailand look good but nobody can say something that makes Thailand look bad? You accuse others of going on an anti-Thai crusade whilst you seem unable to accept anything that might seem critical of Thailand. Different side to the same coin, isn't it?

Anyway, where in this thread have I been claiming that Thailand is terrible and all Thai's are thieves? I have merely commented on my experiences and demonstrated why some segments of Thai society aren't known to be particularly trust worthy when it comes to financial matters. It doesn't mean that I have tarred all Thai''s with the same brush now, does it?

It's a discussion, not a dick waving match.

Anyway, where in this thread have I been claiming that Thailand is terrible and all Thai's are thieves? I have merely commented on my experiences and demonstrated why some segments of Thai society aren't known to be particularly trust worthy when it comes to financial matters. It doesn't mean that I have tarred all Thai''s with the same brush now, does it?

So, I'll ask again, will you lend me 500,000 Baht, you know I'll pay you back cos I'm Farang, right, so I'll pay you back, unlike those wicked Thais ?

If you in your wildest dreams believe that no Farang will ever rip you off, then all I can say is , you ain't been in Thailand too long, and lend me 500,000 Baht.

I'll prove you wrong. biggrin.gif

So, I'll ask again, will you lend me 500,000 Baht, you know I'll pay you back cos I'm Farang, right, so I'll pay you back, unlike those wicked Thais ?

If you in your wildest dreams believe that no Farang will ever rip you off, then all I can say is , you ain't been in Thailand too long, and lend me 500,000 Baht.

I'll prove you wrong. biggrin.gif

Again, you are just reading into it what you want to.

Never mind

Again, you are just reading into it what you want to.

Never mind

Again, you're just looking at things the way you see things, your personal experiences with 0.0000000099999999999999% of Thai people can hardly judge a whole nation right ?

But it seems acceptable to do so, anyone with a differing view is seen as delusional or wearing rose tinted specs, you met your wife or GF in Thailand I presume, are you also delusional or a wearer of funny colored spectacles ?

Never mind.

Moon, you're probably a good guy and this is not personal, you can buy me a drink anytime mate. smile.gif

In fact, I'm a little short at the moment old boy, so you'll have to buy me a few ! I lent a Thai girl money and she ain't paid me back. clap2.gif

Edited by GM1955

So yes, Family is always a tough one, but if my Brother was in my position and I was in his position, maybe he'd help me out too, and I'd really be grateful, be it paying the Electric and Gas bill or pissing it up the wall in the local pub, I'd be grateful for sure.

The fact that you're capable of gratitude might be why you were lending to your brother, rather than the other way around.

But of course, I'm talking about gratitude, not temporary relief or glee.

Cardholder, I was out last night in Patters till 4am, no problems here.

You know, I still wanna buy you a few beers, get away from the trouble and strife for a few hours and I'll show you the sights. biggrin.gif

Bangkok elections, mate that was the problem.

I am happy to share those beers and I have missed a couple of opportunities over the last 2 months when I have been in Pattaya buying stock.

I have got to go back to the UK on Thursday but I return in the second week of January - I will try and contact then, if you have not flown north.

Regards.

• 2 weeks later...

Right on the nail head!!! it's everywhere! always be on your toes......now, to figure out how to relax and do that at the same time is another story I can not seem to figure out!