Whey Protein

eek

Anyone know a good source of whey protein in Chiang Mai?

A friend recommended this one: http://www.sunwarrior.com/products/sunwarrior-protein Wonder if there is anything similar in the CM area?

Apparently most of the ones here are loaded with aluminum..?? :blink: (bit confused about that, but im going on what i was told)

Anything worth recommending?

Thanks. :wai:

we sell several different kinds of whey protein imported from the USA at much better prices than the company above. Free EMS shipping in Thailand and paypal accepted.

http://phukethealthshop.com/

and here is our all natural whey offerings:

http://phukethealthshop.com/#ecwid:keywords=natural%20whey&mode=search&offset=0&sort=relevance

Edited by NaiharnGym

Thank you both!

Dont suppose anyone has a suggestion of the best one to go for? For a woman that is. BuiIding Iean muscIe. Years ago took l-carnitine...is it worth mixing this in?

Have never used whey before, so its a bit of a minefieId of information for me. Of course, i can and wiII research, but any tips/suggestions, wouId be most beneficial, thanks.

~

Excellent topic-timing for me since I have very recently been looking into protein supplements, whey in particular.

I did find and purchase, as a test, a 400g container of whey protein from one of our two favorite pharmacies, PharmaWay in the Airport Plaza.

If you join, you get a bit of a discount at all of their locations.

The brand I bought is Musashi (WPI Whey Protein Isolate) that is quite 'clean' but for a couple of gums and flavoring but - it ain't cheap!

In order to get just 1/2 gram of protein into my system, according to my body weight, this 1500 THB bucket of powder will last only ten days..

While continuing to investigate, I came across this non-commercial website which seriously increased my understanding of protein supplements, especially whey and soy:

http://tinyurl.com/28d5vdb

Everyone's goals are different and I am only looking to supplement because I rarely eat (one very small meal every couple of days) and much of what I DO eat is vegetarian.

Otherwise, a decent diet containing an average amount of meats, dairy and vegetables apparently supplies more than enough of the essential proteins for even someone involved in a moderate exercise program at a gym or fitness center.

Perhaps rather than 'broke myself' on commercial powders, I should simply pick up a salmon steak at RimpPing occasionally, eh? :D

~

Cheers dustoff!

I am veggie, no meat, no fish, so getting protein is not so easy, so thats why im thinking whey. I run Iess than i did years ago (as was toId the amount of running i did wouId wear down my knee cartilage). Ive gone from 10k to onIy doing 4k-5k (on average), around 5 days a week.

Weight-training wise, im upping my training. IE: part of todays Iower set was 8 sets of 15 squats but onIy 10kg weight on the barbeII. My upper body strength is better than my Iower, so i think tomorrow may see me being a bit on the sore side... :crying: But, its just the beginning.

Im coming up for 38..so i recon its good to start thinking about not wearing down muscIe. ..unfortunateIy whey protein is pricey..but im thinking its better to invest in heaIth prevention than deaIing with consequences down the Iine. ParticuIarIy as i intend to try push myseIf gym-wise. :(

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Eek,

Fresh made soy-milk widely available every day in Chiang Mai. You can purchase with no added cane-sugar syrup if you wish. Lots of protein. Assuming you are a female human being, any estrogen content should be irrelevant.

Equal protein for about one-twentieth the cost, or less, of these fancy powders made from the residue of cheese production. And yes, we are quite well read on the chemistry of both whey protein and soy, and do understand that use of "whey" is a "sacred" part of the "body-building religion." Lots of good material on the web comparing soy and whey, so, as in all things, evaluate for yourself, and make your own decision.

Just wanted to mention a much cheaper alternative. Gosh, we kind of wish we could afford to indulge in products with groovy names like "Monster Milk" ! :)

best, ~o:37;

p.s. we've already posted here, on another thread, on this forum, directions to where we think the best quality fresh-made soy-milk in Chiang Mai is on sale daily : just do a search on soy or soy-milk, or Charoenmuang, etc.

Cheers dustoff!

I am veggie, no meat, no fish, so getting protein is not so easy, so thats why im thinking whey. I run Iess than i did years ago (as was toId the amount of running i did wouId wear down my knee cartilage). Ive gone from 10k to onIy doing 4k-5k (on average), around 5 days a week.

Weight-training wise, im upping my training. IE: part of todays Iower set was 8 sets of 15 squats but onIy 10kg weight on the barbeII. My upper body strength is better than my Iower, so i think tomorrow may see me being a bit on the sore side... :crying: But, its just the beginning.

Im coming up for 38..so i recon its good to start thinking about not wearing down muscIe. ..unfortunateIy whey protein is pricey..but im thinking its better to invest in heaIth prevention than deaIing with consequences down the Iine. ParticuIarIy as i intend to try push myseIf gym-wise. :(

You are so YOUNG! And here I thought that you, with your wisdom, were much older (like me).

I can only hope that you occassionally pause to smell the roses and have a milkshake at Burger King.. :D

If you have been veggie for a while, I am sure you know the consequences of not supplementing. My wife is strict Jain vegetarian but, oddly to me, they allow eggs so I urge her to eat them as often as she is willing (I hold the secret to the BEST boiled eggs). Short of that, I make sure I supplement her with the three B's (1,6,12) and folic acid which are available only in our natural diet (as omnivores) which includes animal flesh.

Also, at forty, I nudge 'female' supplements containing Calcium, Magnesium, C, B's, yada, yada that her body needs at this time in her life.

I am such a pest.. :(

I, too loved to distance-run as a kid but determined that the benefits are slim to none. I much prefer walking with short sprints but only on natural ground, never on any kind of pavement. I can think of no other animal that jogs for health other than when escaping draught and seeking water. Speed-walking is a delightful alternative (even if people think you look a bit strange), does not have the impact on joints and ligaments and an accomplished speed-walker can out-distance, out-last a runner any day of the week.

As you saw in my link, beware of Soy drinks and supplements other than mixed a bit with other supplements.

Soy is NOT a complete protein source and we already get more than enough of it in our diets nowadays...

Pump it UP, Babe! :D

Dusty

Edited by Dustoff

~

Excellent topic-timing for me since I have very recently been looking into protein supplements, whey in particular.

I did find and purchase, as a test, a 400g container of whey protein from one of our two favorite pharmacies, PharmaWay in the Airport Plaza.

If you join, you get a bit of a discount at all of their locations.

The brand I bought is Musashi (WPI Whey Protein Isolate) that is quite 'clean' but for a couple of gums and flavoring but - it ain't cheap!

In order to get just 1/2 gram of protein into my system, according to my body weight, this 1500 THB bucket of powder will last only ten days..

While continuing to investigate, I came across this non-commercial website which seriously increased my understanding of protein supplements, especially whey and soy:

http://tinyurl.com/28d5vdb

Everyone's goals are different and I am only looking to supplement because I rarely eat (one very small meal every couple of days) and much of what I DO eat is vegetarian.

Otherwise, a decent diet containing an average amount of meats, dairy and vegetables apparently supplies more than enough of the essential proteins for even someone involved in a moderate exercise program at a gym or fitness center.

Perhaps rather than 'broke myself' on commercial powders, I should simply pick up a salmon steak at RimpPing occasionally, eh? :D

~

Thanks for the link Dustoff. Interesting read.

Dustoff,

What, please,in the world is your average daily caloric intake? Under 1,000?

Steamed fish, whole however, suits me with vegetables.

Since I don't think of such things, I have no idea. I do know, as my wife will tell you, that it is not at all unusual for me to go 4-5 days with no food whatsoever. I sometimes order food thru Meals/Wheels just because I (wife) think I should eat something but half of it often goes to our happy dog or just spoils in the fridge.

There is a history - a fall from a helicopter in '92 - and I have had NO sense of hunger or thirst since. I do push myself to drink a bit of water but other than that, and fresh-squeezed orange juice, sips here and there of Chivas Regal, I seem to require very little intake indeed to survive. Hardly emaciated, 6'2", 180 lbs, just 5 lbs over my high school weight and 'healthy as a horse'..

The only reason I have been looking into a protein supplement is because my skin and hair have been a bit dry for a while. Maybe I just need to get back on regular intake of coconut oil for a while, who knows..?

Sorry to get lengthy - we are getting away from CM specific and where to find whey protein here and I don't want this thread tossed into the..

Dustbin :P

~

Edited by Dustoff

Khun Dustoff wrote:

... snip ... beware of Soy drinks and supplements other than mixed a bit with other supplements. Soy is NOT a complete protein source and we already get more than enough of it in our diets nowadays...

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Dustoff,

Congratulations on your excellent health, and really appreciate the positive attitude that radiates from your comments !

As you said, Soy by itself is not a complete protein: the question of what the complete protein needs are of a human male past age fifty-sixty is something we are still dis-satisfied with our understanding of ... in terms of our attempts to find bona fide scientific research (i.e., not propaganda put out by the "religions" of "life-extension," and "body-building"; and not research whose subjects are primarily people with pathologies and disease conditions). And the "complete protein" needs of an aging human male, ioho, goes to the question of lifestyles discussed below.

In our case, we supplement / round-out a basic soy milk diet with cheap infant formula milk powder for age three and up, which seems kind of comic on some level: a reversal of "the child is father to the man" ? And a few raw eggs. And lately, we've gotten into making pate from chicken liver or duck liver, which we find swallowable if made liquid enough via sugar-free mayo. So, we guess we're not truly "veg:" which matters to us not one jot or tittle.

Like you, we are somewhat "divorced" from what most people experience as "natural appetite" and "hunger," but we really do enjoy the very limited range of what we eat. In our case that "divorce" resulted from radiation treatment for cancer of the lower tongue (goodbye taste buds, goodbye most of natural salivary function), not near as dramatic as helicopter jumping sans bungee.

We suspect you might be, to use Sheldon's old typology (of course these same classificatory ideas are found in the concept of tridosha in Ayurveda, and even in Plato), an "ectomorph" in genetic heritage: we, on the other other hand are somewhere between endo- and meso- by nature with a naturally very slow metabolism. And we suspect you might also have some very rare genetic endowment to allow you to be in the shape you're in on the mininum or non-diet you describe (bet some scientist would like to study you !).

Obviously comparing life-styles comes into play here: a human male living an "ascetic" lifestyle of "mininum physical activity" past sixty is one thing, another 60-something highly athletic and working out the cardio-aerobic system frequently is another; and, perhaps, 60-something weight-lifters focusing on anaerobic exercise another. An obese, non-exercising, watching teevee six hours a day, consuming a lot of alcohol ... 60-something is a whole other kind of potato: as in "couch" ? And ... who's to judge ... except ... oneself(ves) ?

And, obviously, many genetic and metabolic variables come into play here. For this human meat-package intense exercise (aerobic) is a must: that's just a fact. And anaerobic weight training at a modest level clearly contributes something else that's harder to define, but quite tangible in our experience. But in our case we regard these as kind of necessary "vitamins" to sustain a very intensely "mental" lifestyle that involves reading (history, science, literature), and original creative writing, and extensive serious correspondence via e-mail, and we live, by choice, with no teevee. For us the exercise modes are not "goals" in themselves, although we find them enjoyable once we get in gear, and, yeah, sometimes you gotta kind of kick yourself in the butt to get in gear :)

To us all these issues occur in the context of the fundamental fact that improvements in public health (antibiotics, etc.) and decline in infant deaths at birth in the last century have led to a great extension of average age in which problems of osteoporesis, coronary compromise, cancer, etc. appear at very high rates clearly related to aging per se.

In any case, happy health, and thanks for your comments and sharing.

Since there's some ancient precedent for punning on "way" Lau version of the Tao Te Ching : perhaps you'll forgive us if we conclude with: "the why that can be wheyed is not the way."

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

Cheers dustoff!

Hi eek ...In terms of exercise I do the same as you described in your posting, and I have done this for the last 40 years, I am 75 (male) and I am still at it, both in terms of running and weightlifting, 5 days a week, I have a well equipped in-house gym and my running distance (via treadmill) is 7 KM at running speed 12, the heart rate monitor indicates the maximum HR during run is 145/148. and the resting HR (after run) 45/50.

After all those years my knee cartilage problems have been minor, but when they occurred from time to time I went for Glucosamine Sulfate / Viartril S, or other brands with the same contents, and they upholster the knee cartilage after about 3/4 weeks, but in order to avoid any such problems it is vital to do a 5 minute general warm up prior to staring, and a 5 minute cool down at the end.

I am not a vegetarian (I follow the Mediterranean diet) and thus take Whey protein (isolate) only after each gym session, but as a vegetarian it would be wise to take the protein both before and after the workout in order to supply the body with the required protein, yes, the Whey protein is expensive, thus looking for protein in normal food by reading the contents labels is advisable.

Fortunately, at age 38 you still have a long way to go, keep at it, the results will be very positive in terms of your health and general appearance, and (as in my case) you will be looking (and feel) much, much younger than your real age.

Good luck.

eek regarding your running can't you train on a running machine with no impact like a cross trainer machine. I have a lot of trouble with one of my knees but I can run 10km on one of these no problems as there is no impact.

Hi thaimiller. Actually, i dont have problems with my knees, its just that several people warned me that the amount that i was running before can lead to danger of the cartilage wearing down. That basically its not good for the knees/joints long term. Ive eased off the amount of running, but i still enjoy it. I have used a cross trainer before, and occasionally do, but i just dont get the same out of it as i do running. I guess i just really like the feeling of running.

Hi eek ...In terms of exercise I do the same as you described in your posting, and I have done this for the last 40 years, I am 75 (male) and I am still at it, both in terms of running and weightlifting, 5 days a week, I have a well equipped in-house gym and my running distance (via treadmill) is 7 KM at running speed 12, the heart rate monitor indicates the maximum HR during run is 145/148. and the resting HR (after run) 45/50.

After all those years my knee cartilage problems have been minor, but when they occurred from time to time I went for Glucosamine Sulfate / Viartril S, or other brands with the same contents, and they upholster the knee cartilage after about 3/4 weeks, but in order to avoid any such problems it is vital to do a 5 minute general warm up prior to staring, and a 5 minute cool down at the end.

I am not a vegetarian (I follow the Mediterranean diet) and thus take Whey protein (isolate) only after each gym session, but as a vegetarian it would be wise to take the protein both before and after the workout in order to supply the body with the required protein, yes, the Whey protein is expensive, thus looking for protein in normal food by reading the contents labels is advisable.

Fortunately, at age 38 you still have a long way to go, keep at it, the results will be very positive in terms of your health and general appearance, and (as in my case) you will be looking (and feel) much, much younger than your real age.

Good luck.

Thanks for that. I have great faith in Glucosomine (seen excellent results in others), but im vegetarian, and the double-whammy is i have a shellfish allergy, so its out for me. Amazing stuff though.

I supply some of the local running clubs and lifters here in Chiangmai. You can PM me for details. Free delivery.

Thanks FarmerJoe. Will take some time to read over all the suggestions and if interested will get in touch. :)

Thanks all for the feedback and interesting read. :D

edit: hmm..for those interested..seems there is a vegetarian glucosamine available. Just have a google.

Edited by eek