Anyone Been To The King'S Birthday Celebration In Bkk?

tonititan

I have never attended any celebrations for the King's birthday. I'd like to do that this year. I've been trying to research a schedule of events, or information about where to go this weekend, but it's hard to find comprehensive information online.

Anyone have any tips about where exactly to go, or when? Looking at some info I found (links below), I'm thinking maybe I should just go to Ratchadamnoen Road. The candle lighting ceremony at 7:00) sounds interesting. Any suggestions on how early to get there, or where would be a good vantage point for photos? Maybe then I could head to the river to watch the boat procession. Or, is it better to go to straight to Sanam Luang and stay there for the evening? I'm assuming the fireworks are after the candle ceremony, but I haven't found an official start time yet.

If you've been and have any insider tips, I would be appreciative if you could share! :)

http://thailand.prd.go.th/view_inside.php?id=5379

http://thailand.com/travel/festival/festivals_bangkok_king.htm

Just for the record, Bangkok and neighboring provinces are still under the state of emergency, therefore any gathering of more than 5 people is illegal ...

Been to King's B'day two years ago at Sanam Luang, but now it's closed for renovations. Anyway it was nice walk from there on Ratchadamnoen Avenue with all the lights on ... reminded me of x-mass in Europe ;)

Just for the record, Bangkok and neighboring provinces are still under the state of emergency, therefore any gathering of more than 5 people is illegal ...

Been to King's B'day two years ago at Sanam Luang, but now it's closed for renovations. Anyway it was nice walk from there on Ratchadamnoen Avenue with all the lights on ... reminded me of x-mass in Europe ;)

I could be wrong on this but there is not a law against gatherings of 5 people or more ... the law is about "political" gatherings of 5 people or more. If this was not the case then every movie theater, mall and eatery would be closed. And as we are all aware, His Majesty is above politics as is his birthday.

But more to the point, I would certainly like an answer to your question too. As I understand there will still be celebrations of some sort today too but I am clueless where they are.

But more to the point, I would certainly like an answer to your question too. As I understand there will still be celebrations of some sort today too but I am clueless where they are.

No clue about today's events, sorry. I ended up going yesterday. I think I did read somewhere that all the lights, and the places to write well wishes for the King, would be up for a period of 9 days total.