Knife Used In Pattaya Jetski Scam - Irish Tourist’s Life Threatened

george

[

Hmmm. Not sure I could spend so much time down there without making the effort to tip off the 'marks' before hand. At least once before legging it.

they do not target eveyone. i have seen some rentals go without problem.

but when they do go for a ''mark" it's never cheap

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Russians in Pattaya seem to be involved in a few tourism business and also their presence sometimes on the beach around the jet ski hiring businesses shows that they could be more involved

It could be another part of the reason police are reluctant to stop these scams everyday and that the media stay clear, but thats just a thought may be nothing to it.

Russians may be slowly over running the thais in these services it looks like Phuket tour operators are currently having problems with Russian tour guides.

It is interesting that no government department will make a statement in regards to the jet ski scam after all the bad publicity.

They quickly make news when they bust a few hookers and lady boys on beach road, who get fined about 200 baht each and then they go and do the same again.

The jet ski scam is still a daily event in many places along the beach nothing has changed the mafia are still getting very irate with people and extorting money and it wont belong before another serious injury occurs.

Not one media outlet has sat down an interview with officials about this only Pattaya One did the Knife story which was very carefully worded :huh:

Edited by saintofsilence

• 2 weeks later...

his is an old article from 2009 but it just shows nothing changes scams are allowed to go on

After many complaints about Jet Ski operators in Pattaya and Jomtien overcharging tourists when accidents occur to their boats, Pattaya Mayor Ittipol Khunplome held a meeting at City Hall to sort out the problems, in order to be fair to both operators and customers. Attending was Deputy Mayor Ronnakit Aegesing, councilors, and representatives from the Pattaya and Banglamung police and TAT. Many complaints came in via 1337 Call Center and the Tourist Information Center that after tourists had rented Jet Skis, minor scratches or dents were called to their attention and demand for compensation was claimed from them, with some operators asking up to 50,000 baht for damages. One worrying complaint from a tourist, who came forward, stated that he would be threatened and killed if he went to the police. This could be part of a scam that has been in operation for years whereby unsuspecting customers who do not check the Jet Skis before riding them are duped into believing they have caused the damage when it was in reality either an old dent or scratch or a deliberate pre-arranged accident involving another Jet Ski. Even though this particular scam is not original as surely it goes on in many seaside resorts all over the world, it could indeed damage tourism with a negative image for Pattaya. Mayor Ittipol suggested that a committee be set up to control and supervise the Jet Ski businesses in both Pattaya and Jomtien, to help tourists and also arbitrate in any disputes that may occur along the beach front between Jet Ski operators and tourists. In a preliminary report, the committee will be made up from officers at City Hall, and Jet Ski operators will be expected to comply and to register once the department to be called the Marine Tourism Supervision Committee is set up. Lawyers are already drafting up the rules and regulations that operators must comply to or face penalties, which will be presented to Jet Ski operators for their cooperation in stamping out unscrupulous operators which are giving their business a bad image in Pattaya.

http://www.pattayape...IdArticle=19920

Here is a quote from another thread on this forum in 2009

“Tourist Police chief Adis Ngamjitsuksri has conceded the extortion of which the police alone could not stamp out.

He said the extortion gangs, including those in tourist provinces,

worked under highly influential people.

My question is who are those influential people ?

the scam is is still going on in 2011

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293919-i9439-k3668413-Warning_Jet_Ski_Scam-Pattaya.html

more info on facebook

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001909826119&sk=wall

Edited by saintofsilence

//Notice//

It would seem that all the relevant points have been discussed before and we are simply re hashing old posts to keep a dying topic alive.

Unless something new is forthcoming in the next 24 hours I regret the topic will be closed for review.

//Admin

The collective behaviors of a nation - personal, political, commercial, spiritual, and on, and on, are all rooted in the country's cultural values. Thailand. Inferior culture.

Viewed through the rose colored lense of some great marketing spin ("Amazing Thailand!"), it seems counter-intuitive, except to the people who live and work here.

Pattaya's poor tourist showing in the middle of Thailand's high season might have nothing to do with the global economy. A pity, that.

Edited by swillowbee

//Notice//

It would seem that all the relevant points have been discussed before and we are simply re hashing old posts to keep a dying topic alive.

Unless something new is forthcoming in the next 24 hours I regret the topic will be closed for review.

//Admin

as with all forums the actions of admin cannot bedebated and i understand that.

but be advised going to the beach and reporting on what is going on involves a lot of risk. i was challenged 2 days ago but got away with it.

please remember that when deciding to close a topic that could stop even 1 persons holiday from being ruined by a demand for cash that could easily exceed the airfare that they paid to get to thailand in the first place

Seeing as how this is running concurrently in the Pattaya forum and the same posts being rehashed over and over I am closing this now.

In the future, do NOT open topics discussing duplicate information in different forums, thanks.

//CLOSED//