Knife Used In Pattaya Jetski Scam - Irish Tourist’s Life Threatened

george

This scam is rabid on Pattaya beach i have now noticed it is the length of the whole beach , it looks like the indians are targeted the most but I think that is because they are renting more jet skis than others. The Scammers have an indian man in a Turban helping them he is going the whole length on his motorbike when problems occur. I think the indian people are under the impression he is helping them.

There is also another guy doing the same for Russians.

Last week some Iranians were scammed and one was put in a head lock and his head pushed into the jet ski.

No one is getting let off from this scam the other day I noticed about 15 people in several groups being scammed in the last hour people were still arguing well into the night. this goes on every night some where along the beach , hot spots are in front of Mikes ,Royal Garden and the last rental spot close to walking st.

There are at least 60 to 100 people being scammed weekly along Pattaya beach and losing thousands or up 1 million baht a week would not be an underestimate.

I witnessed one young Indian guy who was so upset and kept saying I have no money I have no money , don't know what happened in the end/

I also saw a young european couple get scammed looked like they were on a honeymoon.

The scammers will sweet talk people and drop the price just to get them on the jest ski's to be scammed.

They love renting to groups because they will get more scams in one hit .

They do not care how big and strong you are or how many.

Every night some where a long the beach there are arguments going on , No one is safe to rent Jet skis on pattaya beach.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Links and quotes have been removed as per:

31) All members are not allowed to quote news articles or material from bangkokpost.com or phuketwan inside topics on thaivisa.com. Posts containing quotes will be deleted from the forum. Links referring back to the sites are also not allowed and will be deleted.

I own quite a large boat, what u say i start a gang we all hire every jet ski on the island and tow them all away? Tow them to cambodia sell them for 3000 a piece.

You wouldn't be a policeman by any chance would you?

The term scam becomes redundant when weapons are used to illegally take money from tourists.Surely it then becomes a case of armed robbery.

Well, actually I think the correct term would be extortion. Others consorting with them for a piece of the take would constitute conspiracy and racketeering. With some of the amounts discussed in these threads, it's clearly a multi-million $$USD shakedown racket.

In any case, with the amounts of money in play, the numbers of people involved and the type of violence taking place, the extortion, conspiracy and racketeering would certainly draw instant and unforgiving prosecution, conviction and incarceration in most other places in the world.

What is it going to take? Someone getting beaten into a coma? Stabbed to death? Shot to death? Better yet, they can keep Pattaya. I'll keep to the rest of Thailand.

Small piece from Trip Advisor from last year "this knife incident has been going on for a while "

Jul 16, 2009, 3:47 PM

Hey Guys

Just a bit of advice in regards to renting Jet Skies in Pattaya. Im just back from my first time in Thailand, and over all i loved it! However while we spent some days in Pattaya we had a really bad experience.

Myself and my two friends ( all Male in our early 20's) were approuched by a man while walking down the beach asking if we wanted to rent jet Skies, he was friendly enough and we arranged a price of 400THB each for 30mins. We were asked to sign a piece of paper which asked for our Hotel name and room number (we didnt give these details of course, and sign fake names) they were very friendly and polite.

When we arrived back after 30mins there wasnt just the two men and women there but about 10 of the roughest looking men you have ever seen, screaming at us, saying we broke two of the jet skies. They had Tattoos all over there necks arms and faces, one of them actually had a stab wound on his face that kept bleeding. They demanded 77000THB and said they would call the police, i said i was more than happy for the police to come and sort it out. When i said this they went crazy and tried to fight us, taking out knives etc!!!! Then a non Thai came over and "tried to help" cause he could speak Thai, he was completley in on the whole thing!! We tried to leave and were blocked off, so it was either pay or fight completley out numbered. We insisted we did not have the kind of money over and over and the price after one hour went from 77000 to 20000THB, which we regretfully paid!

When we walked away a police man was right beside the beach, i ran over to him, and before i opened my mouth he put up his hand and said not my problem!!!!!!

On our travels we heard so many stories of people saying the same thing over and over. This incident really put a downer on things for a few days, and one of my friends was so shuck up about it we did not leave the hotel complex for a week! This happened right in front of the main shopping centre along the beach.

And i know some of you's will say ah well you should not have arranged it with some guy on the street but anyone who has been to pattaya will know that everything is like this there, you could walk 100metres and be approuched about 10times from people trying to sell you snything from suits to Women, to jet Skies to Watches, its just the way things are over there.

Sorry for the big Novel but at the end of the day if this posting even prevents one person from going through the same situation we did i will be happy!

how much money have these people extorted ?

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293919-i9439-k2953580-Warning_Jet_Ski_Pattaya-Pattaya.html

Edited by saintofsilence

another from trip advisor

10. Re: Warning!!!!Jet Ski Pattaya

Aug 10, 2009, 4:04 AM

We had the same problem last year and we were a family with 3 kids.

The kids went on the jetski with their dad and afterwards they said the jetski had been damaged.

We went to the police with the men as they were demanding ludicrious sums of money.

When we got to the police station they held myself and the kids and said my husband had to go to get the money or we would all be put in jail.

There is nothing the police will do, you MUST pay up.

We were held in the police station until the money was got and handed over.

Avoid the jetskis at all costs as the violence used in front of our kids who were very afraid, was disgusting and condoned by the police.

More in facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001909826119&v=info

Edited by saintofsilence

For the life of me I do not understand why people go to Pattaya. Everyday is the same dreadful stories coming out of the place. Robberies, scams, beatings, murders and suspect suicides of farangs not to mention prostitution and ladyboys. You never hear a heartwarming story. I think if anyone is taking a holiday in Pattaya the best thing to do is go straight to your hotel room lock yourself in and don't come out until the holiday is over. Definately the safest thing to do. Maybe try the decent parts of Thailand anywhere would have to be better

If you read the word "Mafia" here instead of the word "Police" (and "Tourist Mafia" instead of "Tourist Police") in would be a more accurate translation. Any Thai knows not to get the police involved in anything much, but to farangs the word "POLICE" seems to convey to some a sense of security, safety or even justice. This is a mistake. In my mind I always translate the word "Police" to that of "Monkey" which I think is maybe less accurate, but it does help a little more in any dealings with them.

Edited by SPIKECM

I think the bit that you "didn't mention" actually answered your question!! cool.gif

But to be fair to Pattaya, many do go there and don't participate in any robbery, scams, beatings, murder or suicides and not for the girls or boys. It can be a fun place and it is cheaper than the south. Full of fun loving Issan people and there's nowhere quite like it for people watching. I have never been scammed one time in many many visits, but I can easily see how it happens particularly if you are with some "boys on tour" group.

For the life of me I do not understand why people go to Pattaya. Everyday is the same dreadful stories coming out of the place. Robberies, scams, beatings, murders and suspect suicides of farangs not to mention prostitution and ladyboys. You never hear a heartwarming story. I think if anyone is taking a holiday in Pattaya the best thing to do is go straight to your hotel room lock yourself in and don't come out until the holiday is over. Definately the safest thing to do. Maybe try the decent parts of Thailand anywhere would have to be better

Edited by SPIKECM

British National Bashed by Pattaya Jetski Operators

Earlier this year

721e8beb.jpg

http://www.pattayada...tski-operators/

Officers obtained Mr. Marshall's statement before sending him to the Pattaya Memorial Hospital for treatment. An investigation will commence in an attempt to apprehend the 5 offenders.

Written in February 2010 and they still haven't caught them. The cops are blind.

Scum of Thailand ... thai mafia linked businesses involved in tourism should be wiped out ... why doesn't the TAT step in and do something ... set-up a scene - video it and have the cuprits charged with extortion ... do the same in Phuket and in Samui with the Taxi mafia.

I mean it can't be that hard - can it ?

These guys are just biting the hand that feeds 'em, and it's the law abiding tourist businesses who suffer !

Yes i never bothered to complain in March this year but Phuket is the same.If you ever need to hand your passport over for anything my advise is dont do it.Having riden motorcycles all my life i saw no problem to hire a bike in Thailand.If you do hire from some safe hotel.Never i repeat never hire from the tousist spot.Ie beach road either pattaya or phuket.I was forced to hand over 7000 baht for a break lever i did not even damage.tourist police what a joke,though they are helpful they basically said to me dont go to the police for it will cost me twice as much as what they are asking.I know in Australia a break lever cost 20 dollars not the 200 they were asking so never ever hand over your passport for hiring anything it just isnt worth being ripped off by these scum

Many years ago I was renting a scooter in Chiang Mai and got slightly side-swiped by a car. I managed to keep control of the bike, but the brake lever located at the handle bars got broken off during the impact. Of course, I was worried about returning the scooter in this condition, so I found a parts depot for the particular brand of bike I was renting and purchased the replacement handle for 60 baht (new - in a blister pack), Unfortunately, the shop that sold it to me didn't install any parts, so I went to a dealership, and they installed it there for 20 baht. The total cost for my repair was 80 baht, and the people I was renting it from were none the wiser. I would recommend handling minor repairs yourself instead of being at the mercy of the people you rent from.

Edited by Wavefloater

I would recommend handling minor repairs yourself instead of being at the mercy of the people you rent from.

Could be an interesting tactic actually - insist on going with the jet-ski guys to the repair shop to see how much it really costs. I doubt they'd have a crooked repair shop lined up (though they might I guess), so it could catch them off-guard - plus, if they do take you there, the jetski gets fixed and so it prevents them charging other people for the damage. Otherwise they refuse to go there, in which case you say you'll only pay direct to the shop, etc.... might work???

I would recommend handling minor repairs yourself instead of being at the mercy of the people you rent from.

Could be an interesting tactic actually - insist on going with the jet-ski guys to the repair shop to see how much it really costs. I doubt they'd have a crooked repair shop lined up (though they might I guess), so it could catch them off-guard - plus, if they do take you there, the jetski gets fixed and so it prevents them charging other people for the damage. Otherwise they refuse to go there, in which case you say you'll only pay direct to the shop, etc.... might work???

They probably own the repair shops themselves , and in this scam they also charge for lost time while repairing the damage that you never did.

I went to Pattaya once and it was the most terrifying and worst time my young family had ever had. We vowed to and have never been back to that place. Have been to other parts of Thailand and the experience was wonderful and will return. Pattaya is a real thorn in Thailands side and is definately not a family orientated place.

Whatever happened to the regulation in Phuket for all waverunners to be insured? I guess it was too expensive and they figured they wouldn't be competitive if they raised prices to cover the cost.

maybe after getting 3 claims per day the insurance company mite get the idea there is some fraud going on.

Could be an interesting tactic actually - insist on going with the jet-ski guys to the repair shop to see how much it really costs.

from my obsevations the scratches on the hull bottom are not repaired at all.

the boats are just put back in the water the next day because 9 times out of 10 there is nothing wrong with them.

why repair "new damage" when it can be used over and over again. those scratches are worth bht why bother to repair them at all.

the first time i saw the scam pulled which cost 3 norweigians 18,000 bht i got up early next day to go and find it. no problem about 100 metres along the beach there it was floating away. took me 6 weeks to get another pic of the hull out of water (they like to keep them anchored or partially in the water so that punters fail to see the marks till they bring the ski back and it's too late) and when i did it looked exactly the same.

lord knows how much those scratches cost tourists over those 6 weeks

from my obsevations the scratches on the hull bottom are not repaired at all.

Yeah, so insisting that they take you with them to get it repaired calls their bluff. Something they may not be ready for...

Don't think I would go anywhere with them. Much more dangerous to head off to their back street place even more out numbered with no witnesses. Where they will be much more likely to produce weapons.

I think it is a very good move on your part, to leave the country. That leaves those of us who derive tremendous enjoyment from our lives here more to work with. If one does not find one's life fulfilling, than it is certainly

your choice to move on. In the meantime, I continue finding the average Thai that I deal with to be pleasant, fair, and in good cheer. More than I can say about life in the US, or the UK.

The bottom line is that most of us can live in Thailand, and never be affected by these lowlife thugs.

i disagree.

the bottom line is that just reading about something like this affects anyone living in thailand - tourists, expat residents and thais.

it's an absolute screaming disgrace! the complacency and inability of the TOT and local authorities to do anything to stop it is not alarming - it's pathetic. this after all is not a new scam, it's something that's been on tv and everyone knows about, and affects the lifeblood of the country's economy - tourism - yet still nothing is done.

the complicity of the police is just another illustration of the evil paradox that exists here in thailand whereby the most powerful, well organised and insideous criminal organisation in the country is it's police force.

i am sick to death of reading about stuff like this, it IS on the increase along with many other things that are gradually turning this place from a friendly and prosperous easy-going country into a disreputable, unwelcoming cess-pit.

with reduced honest revenues available to the various pockets that NEED to stay filled i can only see it getting worse.

in the last 4 or 5 years i have seen more and more of this decline and i am sad to say that i am already making the moves to get myself, my wife and my two wee boys out of it, i simply don't want my family in a country where this is the norm.

I think it is a very good move on your part, to leave the country. That leaves those of us who derive tremendous enjoyment from our lives here more to work with. If one does not find one's life fulfilling, than it is certainly

your choice to move on. In the meantime, I continue finding the average Thai that I deal with to be pleasant, fair, and in good cheer. More than I can say about life in the US, or the UK.

Having worked and lived in the US, UK, and several other countries, from South America to Asia, I find the inference that Thai's are more pleasant, etc, than people from the US and the UK as more a reflection on you as an individual than the people of either mentioned country. The reports of the jet ski scams and the reported mentality of those involved (other than the victims) would lead me to believe that to find a like minded group in such a concentrated area of either the US or the UK, I would have to spend some time in their monkey houses.

Absolutely. The typical daily stuff that goes on doesn't get reported as it isn't sensational, but the norm for living in Thailand isn't daily rip-offs. Take for example, last night I drive into this local restaurant with no where to park. There's a space in an adjacent residency car parking lot, so I park there in the knowledge that the security guy knows I am not going far. I sit down at the restaurant and see a sign that there's a 100 baht fine for doing what I just did. But I know all along that I am not going to get hit for some 100 baht. You just get used to this. After 20 minutes, the security guy comes over and says he's managed to find a space for me to squeeze into. But his motivation for this isn't for a tip and it was obvious that it wasn't. I eventually went back to the car with a 20 baht note in my shirt pocket just in case he came over and saw me out of my parking place. He didn't though. He just ignored me as I drove off. This is not a big reportable story, but it is more an example of everyday life in Thailand that any scam story. Thai people are the most wonderful people in the world to live around. Just not to live with, but that's another story!

Edited by SPIKECM

The bottom line is that most of us can live in Thailand, and never be affected by these lowlife thugs.

i disagree.

the bottom line is that just reading about something like this affects anyone living in thailand - tourists, expat residents and thais.

it's an absolute screaming disgrace! the complacency and inability of the TOT and local authorities to do anything to stop it is not alarming - it's pathetic. this after all is not a new scam, it's something that's been on tv and everyone knows about, and affects the lifeblood of the country's economy - tourism - yet still nothing is done.

the complicity of the police is just another illustration of the evil paradox that exists here in thailand whereby the most powerful, well organised and insideous criminal organisation in the country is it's police force.

i am sick to death of reading about stuff like this, it IS on the increase along with many other things that are gradually turning this place from a friendly and prosperous easy-going country into a disreputable, unwelcoming cess-pit.

with reduced honest revenues available to the various pockets that NEED to stay filled i can only see it getting worse.

in the last 4 or 5 years i have seen more and more of this decline and i am sad to say that i am already making the moves to get myself, my wife and my two wee boys out of it, i simply don't want my family in a country where this is the norm.

i'm puzzled by your post, but anyway thanks for the send off, i'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it's well meant.

all the best with "working with" whatever it is you think you'll have more of once i'm gone.

TAKING DOWN THE JET SKI SCAMMERS

I don't believe it is an impossible Venture - But like anything in Thailand

To get any attention or be taken serious... It takes a MASS Rally and some Loss Of face to wake them up from that permanent hibernation.

For those that really want the Jet Ski Scams to stop

Why not try some of the following:

1. Pattaya clubs and Local Expats join together and write a petition, contact officials, and make a fuss.

2. A website is formed and submitted to Thai Visa and other Thai forums - based on thailand SCAMS - and made public.

3. LOCAL TAT offices are given WARNING SHEETS to keep Tourists in the know on all the scams operating -

TAT and officials are also informed on the local websites damaging the tourism industry and making these scammed public.

4. Local Embassies are contacted and also given petitions and info to distribute or mention at online embassy sites.

5. Groups of locals or expats visit the local police stations and make themselves known (ofcourse they will be laughed at by the Thais - but it shows Unity)

6. Pattaya has local farang Volunteers policing the streets - these may also be contacted and brought into the scheme of things - they seem a good bunch of folk.

7. All evidence is sent to TROUBLE IN THAILAND BBC documentaries, YOUTUBE and wherever else it can be shown or distributed.

8. Local tabloids - Press - pattaya news - Bangkok - Thai Visa or wherever - are sent stories, photographs, and evidence to support claims.

9. consecutive reports are filed to local police stations of the same group ripping off tourists - these must be made regularly and whether directly true or not. The more complaints that go into the system - the more it looks bad on that particular local branch. one complaint every 6 months will not cut the mustard.

I believe Evidence to support the Scams was also made into a BBC documentary in Phuket last year called - Trouble in Thailand

The reaction from Thai authorities was amusing...

They instantly complained about this as it was damaging to their country and its reputation

So whatever you believe or not about them doing something... They do react to BAD PUBLICITY - so there is potential in leverage.

Im sure many potential tourists changed their minds about traveling to Thailand after the documentary

It certainly put me off Phuket - even if it is an isolated incident that affects 1 in 1000 or more..

They really do like to bury their heads in the sand when it comes to conflict or making an effort to fix a problem.

But loss of face - public humiliation - and loss of revenue are the only things that motivate them... so whilst it takes more effort to get things done...

There is a way but it requires more work than most are willing to do.

If anyone is serious about stopping these crimes -

doing some of the above would be a more rewarding experience that whining on TV about how bad it is.

of course, its so much easier to return back to the bars or retirement bliss and shoot the breeze in ignorance..

which is what i will be doing, along with the Thai community....

As i have no investment or love for Pattaya or Phuket

Edited by djlest

djlest; I do commend you on giving your ideas as to a way to start in approaching this problem as well as other scams which seem to be a part of what those of us who live here, seem to avoid, for the most part. With the access many have to reliable information and your ideas on how to broadcast it where it just may make a diference, many could make a real contribution to Thailand, (Another topic)

Granted TV members are seemly hamstrung when it comes to naming scams, with individual company/individual names on TV. This latter has been discussed many times, but your proposed avenues may could be a good start. I do feel TV does reach a lot of nonmembers as when you look at the number of viewers at any given time the ratio seems to be only around 20% members.

I hate to say this but why on earth would I - or others who haven't been scammed and who would never hire a jet ski - be so worked up as to pay to print posters, picket beach Road, invade the police station and generally make a nuisance of ourselves, running the risk of a beating or worse, or even being arrested if the police wanted to make a problem by alleging people were working without a work permit in devising/participating in a mass anti-scam movement.

When the other side of the coin is simply that some other mug foolish enough to rent a jet ski gets scammed down the beach.

Sometimes things here really aren't our ploblem.