Knife Used In Pattaya Jetski Scam - Irish Tourist’s Life Threatened

george

sharecropper; you seem not to fit in the group mentioned by djlest, (those who are serious and want the jet ski scams stopped) Some people are dependent on tourism for a livelihood and have a personal interest.

I do not visit nor live anywhere near the jet ski areas, but have warned friends and potential tourist to that area, about the problem. I do have compassion for my fellow man at times and as this is Christmas month, I may try to help some additional people out in some little way. There are quite a number of foolish mugs out enjoying life in their unpretentious way (guilty your honor, but not recently, thank goodness). If I can in some way help them or save them some heart ache I will feel better about myself. I really could care less what others may say or think as long as a action benefits a party and another party feels good about their part it sounds good to me.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Actually, although I do tend to make positive comments about Thailand, your post I believe is absolutely correct and you make a fine point. The only part I can't agree with is that this is the "the norm". It isn't, but I agree that even for it to be blatanltly allowed in any part of Thailand is quite inexcusable and indeed pathetic on the part of the government.

I have been through a few testing experiences in my last 10 years of living here and I certainly wouldn't get involved with anything that I can't walk away from in a month. I just try and keep a low profile as I know if I was to get involved in some police scam I would fight it and I always like to be able to think that well, if the worst comes to the worst I will leave Thailand.

The bottom line is that most of us can live in Thailand, and never be affected by these lowlife thugs.

i disagree.

the bottom line is that just reading about something like this affects anyone living in thailand - tourists, expat residents and thais.

it's an absolute screaming disgrace! the complacency and inability of the TOT and local authorities to do anything to stop it is not alarming - it's pathetic. this after all is not a new scam, it's something that's been on tv and everyone knows about, and affects the lifeblood of the country's economy - tourism - yet still nothing is done.

the complicity of the police is just another illustration of the evil paradox that exists here in thailand whereby the most powerful, well organised and insideous criminal organisation in the country is it's police force.

i am sick to death of reading about stuff like this, it IS on the increase along with many other things that are gradually turning this place from a friendly and prosperous easy-going country into a disreputable, unwelcoming cess-pit.

with reduced honest revenues available to the various pockets that NEED to stay filled i can only see it getting worse.

in the last 4 or 5 years i have seen more and more of this decline and i am sad to say that i am already making the moves to get myself, my wife and my two wee boys out of it, i simply don't want my family in a country where this is the norm.

I think it is a very good move on your part, to leave the country. That leaves those of us who derive tremendous enjoyment from our lives here more to work with. If one does not find one's life fulfilling, than it is certainly

your choice to move on. In the meantime, I continue finding the average Thai that I deal with to be pleasant, fair, and in good cheer. More than I can say about life in the US, or the UK.

i'm puzzled by your post, but anyway thanks for the send off, i'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it's well meant.

all the best with "working with" whatever it is you think you'll have more of once i'm gone.

sharecropper; you seem not to fit in the group mentioned by djlest, (those who are serious and want the jet ski scams stopped) Some people are dependent on tourism for a livelihood and have a personal interest.

I do not visit nor live anywhere near the jet ski areas, but have warned friends and potential tourist to that area, about the problem. I do have compassion for my fellow man at times and as this is Christmas month, I may try to help some additional people out in some little way. There are quite a number of foolish mugs out enjoying life in their unpretentious way (guilty your honor, but not recently, thank goodness). If I can in some way help them or save them some heart ache I will feel better about myself. I really could care less what others may say or think as long as a action benefits a party and another party feels good about their part it sounds good to me.

I have personally helped out a jet-ski scammed tourist 2 weeks ago, and would do so again, but I feel that kind of personal action is sensible and constructive, whereas resorting to mass action in Pattaya may be counterproductive all round.

This was mentioned in another post if people feel like putting a complaint in about the corruption in Pattaya

Office of Prevention and Suppression of Corruption in Government.

99/31 Moo 4, Software Park Chaengwattana Klong Pak Kret, Nonthaburi 11120 salt.

Tel. 02-502-8285-6.

e-mail: [email protected].

http://www.pacc.go.t...php?mod=contact

or here

in among the postings on the News Clippings thread was this very useful suggestion for people who want to take some kind of sensible action, from one of the regular posters on the Pattaya forum:

craigt3365, on 2010-12-01 08:14, said:

If you guys want to do something productive, email TAT. If they get enough emails from concerned tourists, maybe something will be done...like was done in Phuket. It can't hurt, and won't take much of your time. There is a "contact us" spot on the bottom of the web page. Get involved, send an email!

http://www.tourismthailand.org/

Or direct link to the contact us form:

http://www.tourismth...org/contact-us/

Another assault earlier this year

791caf61.jpg

A Norwegian national has been robbed of approximately 10,000 baht after he had left his wallet with a Thai woman who he did not know, whilst he went for a ride on a Jetski.

Pattaya, the 15th of February 2010 [PDN]: At approximately 5:30pm on Sunday, police Lieutenant Colonel Preecha Sumrit received a report from Mr. Tom Sverre Norheim [50] a Norwegian national. Mr. Norheim had come to the Pattaya police station suffering some severe facial injuries explaining that he had been robbed and assaulted by a group of Thai men acting as Jetski renters.

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2010/02/16/norwegian-national-robbed-assaulted-on-pattaya-beach/

Edited by saintofsilence

791caf61.jpg

A Norwegian national has been robbed of approximately 10,000 baht after he had left his wallet with a Thai woman who he did not know, whilst he went for a ride on a Jetski.

Pattaya, the 15th of February 2010 [PDN]: At approximately 5:30pm on Sunday, police Lieutenant Colonel Preecha Sumrit received a report from Mr. Tom Sverre Norheim [50] a Norwegian national. Mr. Norheim had come to the Pattaya police station suffering some severe facial injuries explaining that he had been robbed and assaulted by a group of Thai men acting as Jetski renters.

http://www.pattayada...-pattaya-beach/

This guy wasn't scammed. He was punished for being stupid.

1. Gave his wallet with passport and money to a woman he didn't know.

2. Physically assaulted the woman.

This story doesn't really belong here.

791caf61.jpg

http://www.pattayada...-pattaya-beach/

this is what i am alluding to I am not saying he was scammed .

Pattaya police station suffering some severe facial injuries explaining that he had been robbed and assaulted by a group of Thai men acting as Jetski renters.

Edited by saintofsilence

this is what i am alluding to I am not saying he was scammed .

Pattaya police station suffering some severe facial injuries explaining that he had been robbed and assaulted by a group of Thai men acting as Jetski renters.

The trouble is we don't know how far this guy went and don't know if the beating he took was totally undeserved. The fact that he "pushed" the woman indicates he's aggressive.

Edited by tropo

I have not looked at Thailand news for a while and did not realise another more extensive thread was running on this topic.

I posted this a short while ago on the Pattaya Forum.

Being Irish I have to admit I am slightly biased but it is equally maddening to see any gullible tourists being robbed this way.

FWIW I sent an email today to the Irish Consul enclosing the link to the story and advising that Irish Government advice to travellers to Thailand be updated urgently advising of these scams. I would be very surprised if the Consulate were not aware of this recent incident.

[email protected] for any one who would wish to do the same.

Based on my experience you'd get better results writing a letter to Santa in Lapland than dealing with the so-called Irish consulate in Bangkok. Don't expect any help there.

I would not be expecting any great results. At least they acknowledged e.mail and told me they were forwarding it to Embassy in Malaysia. Now for Santa. Dear Santa.........

Pattaya jetski scams

InboxX

Reply |[email protected] to me, ireland, Sharifah.Shaha.

show details Dec 3 (1 day ago)

[email protected]

to

[email protected],

[email protected]

dateFri, Dec 3, 2010 at 2:02 AM

subjectPattaya jetski scams

mailed-bydfa.ie

hide details Dec 3 (1 day ago)

Dear Mr xxxxx

Thank you for contacting us in relation to this problem. We are now in the process of updating our travel advice to take account of it.

With best regards,

Shane Stephens

Deputy Head of Mission

Embassy of Ireland

Kuala Lumpur

If they follow through it will give me some satisfaction that it might save a few naive Paddies from falling foul of these vultures.

TAKING DOWN THE JET SKI SCAMMERS

I don't believe it is an impossible Venture - But like anything in Thailand

To get any attention or be taken serious... It takes a MASS Rally and some Loss Of face to wake them up from that permanent hibernation.

For those that really want the Jet Ski Scams to stop

Why not try some of the following:

1. Pattaya clubs and Local Expats join together and write a petition, contact officials, and make a fuss.

2. A website is formed and submitted to Thai Visa and other Thai forums - based on thailand SCAMS - and made public.

3. LOCAL TAT offices are given WARNING SHEETS to keep Tourists in the know on all the scams operating -

TAT and officials are also informed on the local websites damaging the tourism industry and making these scammed public.

4. Local Embassies are contacted and also given petitions and info to distribute or mention at online embassy sites.

5. Groups of locals or expats visit the local police stations and make themselves known (ofcourse they will be laughed at by the Thais - but it shows Unity)

6. Pattaya has local farang Volunteers policing the streets - these may also be contacted and brought into the scheme of things - they seem a good bunch of folk.

7. All evidence is sent to TROUBLE IN THAILAND BBC documentaries, YOUTUBE and wherever else it can be shown or distributed.

8. Local tabloids - Press - pattaya news - Bangkok - Thai Visa or wherever - are sent stories, photographs, and evidence to support claims.

9. consecutive reports are filed to local police stations of the same group ripping off tourists - these must be made regularly and whether directly true or not. The more complaints that go into the system - the more it looks bad on that particular local branch. one complaint every 6 months will not cut the mustard.

I believe Evidence to support the Scams was also made into a BBC documentary in Phuket last year called - Trouble in Thailand

The reaction from Thai authorities was amusing...

They instantly complained about this as it was damaging to their country and its reputation

So whatever you believe or not about them doing something... They do react to BAD PUBLICITY - so there is potential in leverage.

Im sure many potential tourists changed their minds about traveling to Thailand after the documentary

It certainly put me off Phuket - even if it is an isolated incident that affects 1 in 1000 or more..

They really do like to bury their heads in the sand when it comes to conflict or making an effort to fix a problem.

But loss of face - public humiliation - and loss of revenue are the only things that motivate them... so whilst it takes more effort to get things done...

There is a way but it requires more work than most are willing to do.

If anyone is serious about stopping these crimes -

doing some of the above would be a more rewarding experience that whining on TV about how bad it is.

of course, its so much easier to return back to the bars or retirement bliss and shoot the breeze in ignorance..

which is what i will be doing, along with the Thai community....

As i have no investment or love for Pattaya or Phuket

I like your ideas. Any sort of proactive action on our parts, is going to have some impact. If they see they cannot get away with it, without a fight, it may have some effect. Also, if the TAT, and the Central Government hears alot of noise, it is going to

get their attention. Who knows? Sitting back and taking it is the worst thing we can do. Thanks for your creativity. We need more guys like you around.

I sent my e mail to TOT

Not quite sure what a telecoms company can do about Jet-ski scams, but every little helps I guess...

Sending emails and links to these two places may help :)

Office of Prevention and Suppression of Corruption in Government.

99/31 Moo 4, Software Park Chaengwattana Klong Pak Kret, Nonthaburi 11120 salt.

Tel. 02-502-8285-6.

e-mail: [email protected].

http://www.pacc.go.t...php?mod=contact

also

craigt3365, on 2010-12-01 08:14, said:

If you guys want to do something productive, email TAT. If they get enough emails from concerned tourists, maybe something will be done...like was done in Phuket. It can't hurt, and won't take much of your time. There is a "contact us" spot on the bottom of the web page. Get involved, send an email!

http://www.tourismthailand.org/

Or direct link to the contact us form:

http://www.tourismth...org/contact-us/

Edited by saintofsilence

I sent my e mail to TOT

Not quite sure what a telecoms company can do about Jet-ski scams, but every little helps I guess...

My bad, should have read TAT. I am not sure what they can do to conbat scams either, but we shall see.

Score 1 to Salty

Irish Embassy Website updated 3 December:

Recently significant numbers of tourists have been threatened with violence and robbed while trying to rent jet ski equipment in Pattaya and Phuket. Please seek local advice on the reputation of any rental firm before approaching it.

The bottom line is that most of us can live in Thailand, and never be affected by these lowlife thugs.

i disagree.

the bottom line is that just reading about something like this affects anyone living in thailand - tourists, expat residents and thais.

it's an absolute screaming disgrace! the complacency and inability of the TOT and local authorities to do anything to stop it is not alarming - it's pathetic. this after all is not a new scam, it's something that's been on tv and everyone knows about, and affects the lifeblood of the country's economy - tourism - yet still nothing is done.

the complicity of the police is just another illustration of the evil paradox that exists here in thailand whereby the most powerful, well organised and insideous criminal organisation in the country is it's police force.

i am sick to death of reading about stuff like this, it IS on the increase along with many other things that are gradually turning this place from a friendly and prosperous easy-going country into a disreputable, unwelcoming cess-pit.

with reduced honest revenues available to the various pockets that NEED to stay filled i can only see it getting worse.

in the last 4 or 5 years i have seen more and more of this decline and i am sad to say that i am already making the moves to get myself, my wife and my two wee boys out of it, i simply don't want my family in a country where this is the norm.

I think it is a very good move on your part, to leave the country. That leaves those of us who derive tremendous enjoyment from our lives here more to work with. If one does not find one's life fulfilling, than it is certainly

your choice to move on. In the meantime, I continue finding the average Thai that I deal with to be pleasant, fair, and in good cheer. More than I can say about life in the US, or the UK.

I agree with you fully, I have been here for 20 years and I am now leaving and taking my family away from this enlarging cess pit

Score 1 to Salty

Irish Embassy Website updated 3 December:

Recently significant numbers of tourists have been threatened with violence and robbed while trying to rent jet ski equipment in Pattaya and Phuket. Please seek local advice on the reputation of any rental firm before approaching it.

It is satisfying to see a warning on the website. Hopefully more embassies will do the same. Eventually it might force the authorities to get off their ass and do something. :huh:

One day these little scumbag idiots are going to pick on the wrong tourist(s) and end up on the receiving end of the blades that they so eagerly wield.

The Irish are known for their ability to demonstrate violence when provoked (just ask the English) and they can be very tough nuts to crack so these Thai morons were lucky on this occasion. We should invite a few groups of lads from Edinburgh and Glascow over and see how the Thai mini mafia fair against them!

My friend Jimmy McGeough is in Belfast right now coaching his son Kieran to become a professional soccer player - like him and his father were. This guy is nuts - in a good way. He would cut those Thai thieves to pieces.

One day these little scumbag idiots are going to pick on the wrong tourist(s) and end up on the receiving end of the blades that they so eagerly wield.

The Irish are known for their ability to demonstrate violence when provoked (just ask the English) and they can be very tough nuts to crack so these Thai morons were lucky on this occasion. We should invite a few groups of lads from Edinburgh and Glascow over and see how the Thai mini mafia fair against them!

My friend Jimmy McGeough is in Belfast right now coaching his son Kieran to become a professional soccer player - like him and his father were. This guy is nuts - in a good way. He would cut those Thai thieves to pieces.

Off topic: Would your friend's old man be the guy who played with Waterford in late 60's?. He was a hard man who didn't take prisoners.

On Topic: Much as I would love to see your scenario unfolding these vermin could produce reinforcements without too much trouble and they would also probably be armed.

Nov 2009

Marine Tourism Supervision Committee...

Mayor 'sorts out' Pattaya's Jet Ski scams

It should be so simple. Minor scratches are fair wear and tear. Major damage should be covered by an insurance element to the hire fee. It is unacceptable for any further monies to be extorted from tourists under any circumstance

Based on article from pattayapeople.com

After many complaints about Jet Ski operators in Pattaya and Jomtien overcharging tourists when accidents occur to their boats, Pattaya Mayor Ittipol Khunplome held a meeting at City Hall to 'sort out' the problems, in order to be fair to both operators and customers.

Attending was Deputy Mayor Ronnakit Aegesing, councilors, and representatives from the Pattaya and Banglamung police and TAT. Many complaints came in via 1337 Call Center and the Tourist Information Center that after tourists had rented Jet Skis, minor scratches or dents were called to their attention and demand for compensation was claimed from them, with some operators asking up to 50,000 baht for damages.

One worrying complaint from a tourist, who came forward, stated that he would be threatened and killed if he went to the police. This could be part of a scam that has been in operation for years whereby unsuspecting customers who do not check the Jet Skis before riding them are duped into believing they have caused the damage when it was in reality either an old dent or scratch or a deliberate pre-arranged accident involving another Jet Ski.

Pattaya. Mayor Ittipol suggested that a committee be set up to control and supervise the Jet Ski businesses in both Pattaya and Jomtien, to help tourists and also arbitrate in any disputes that may occur along the beach front between Jet Ski operators and tourists.

In a preliminary report, the committee will be made up from officers at City Hall, and Jet Ski operators will be expected to comply and to register once the department to be called the Marine Tourism Supervision Committee is set up. Lawyers are already drafting up the rules and regulations that operators must comply to or face penalties, which will be presented to Jet Ski operators for their cooperation in stamping out unscrupulous operators which are giving their business a bad image in Pattaya.

http://www.pattayagogos.com/scams.htm#Marine_Tourism_Supervision_Committee_3523

Edited by saintofsilence

Dec 2007

Pattaya, December 2007. From Thai Visa

An American and his tilac took to the waves. I said in jest to my girlfriend, wonder how much this is going to cost the guy she went mad, not good to talk like this she said. Anyway cut to the chase 10,000 was asked for a small scratch that the Yank did not do, I was watching him, he said call the cops I'm not paying and after an hour, off they went to the friendly arbitrators at soi 9, I told him to settle there on the beach as my buddies had the same happen, as I reported here on this site. It ended up costing them 80,000 at the cop shop. So sad this is killing the tourist trade.

thursday, November 19, 2009

Hold outs against jet-ski insurance scheme

Jet-skis insured under the Phuket scheme display the diamond-shaped sticker shown here.

PHUKET CITY: The majority of jet-ski operators on the island have applied for compulsory insurance, but five operators are holding out against the new regulation.

Phuket Governor Wichai Phraisa-ngop yesterday afternoon held a meeting with 15 jet-ski operators to discuss compliance with a provincial policy requiring all jet-ski operators to apply for policies by the deadline that passed on Monday.

The rule was put in place after foreign diplomats complained that their nationals were being ripped off by jet-ski operators who insisted they pay for damages they never caused, or inflated costs for actual damages.

The scam made international headlines after one jet-ski operator allegedly threatened a group of British military personnel on shore leave in Patong.

The incident was subsequently reported in the local and international media, sparking debate about the safety of Phuket as a tourist destination.

At yesterday’s meeting the jet-ski operators told Gov Wichai that five jet-ski operators, with a total of 17 machines, have refused to take out policies.

“I will have to ask them to come and talk to me about this before we proceed with legal charges…This is a provincial policy that all jet-ski operators must follow,” Gov Wichai said.

Working in the jet-ski rental industry is also a job class foreigners cannot be involved in, he reminded the operators.

In a related development, Gov Wichai gave jet-ski operators permission to hold a public relations event at Patong Beach on November 26.

The reason is to inform the public that with the insurance scheme in place there is no longer any reason to worry about being extorted by jet-ski operators.

– Kitima Pornmongkhonwat

http://www.k38watersafety.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5123

http://www.phuketgazette.net/articles/article8018.html

My E mail to TAT about the problems was noted as received, forwarded to TAT for action. I got a response that informed me they did not have authority to do anything in this regard, but recommended I contact the Tourist police in Pattaya at E mail [email protected] which I have done. Not sure why I am skeptial of seeing any real change made to the corrupt/thieving system.

As previous, while they should be hung, drawn & quartered on the beach in front of everyone, your tough little mate would be made mincemeat of. Getting all big at this scum would not work, no matter how tough you reckon you and your mates think you are as they have an endless backup just like them, along with the help of bent cops.

My E mail to TAT about the problems was noted as received, forwarded to TAT for action. I got a response that informed me they did not have authority to do anything in this regard, but recommended I contact the Tourist police in Pattaya at E mail [email protected] which I have done. Not sure why I am skeptial of seeing any real change made to the corrupt/thieving system.

Tourist police using Hotmail. Brilliant.