Business Visa

If I have a successful web business, can I live in Thailand on a business Visa? How often would I have to leave the coutnry in that case? Where do most people go out and come back in from? What's the easiest way?

Gongchime in Korea

Edited by Gongchime

The situation you describe does not entitle you to any special immigration status - but - Thai diplomatic posts have a lot of discretion. If you are a Korean citizen, you might be able to talk the Thai Embassy into giving you a non-immigrant Class B visa, for purpose of "exploring business opportunities in Thailand". With that, you would receive a 90 day entry permit upon arrival. If you managed to obtain a one-year multiple-entry visa, you would need to make a border crossing run every 90 days. Most people make such a run to the Cambodian border.

Your other approach would be to come to Thailand, start a Thai Private Co. Ltd., obtain a work permit as Managing Director, and run your activity as a proper business here. If you do not wish to hire at least four Thai employees, and work from a proper commercial office, then you would still have to operate on the basis of 90 day vsia runs - but - with work permit - you would be almost assured of being able to get a one-year, multiple-entry visa.

Good luck!

Steve Sykes

Managing Director

Indo-Siam Group

Bangkok

[email protected]

www.thaistartup.com

Dear Mr. Sykes,

I'm not a Korean citizen. I'm an American living in Korea. I would like to hire four employees but I'm sure my business won't be ready for that in the early stages. I'm still a little confused.

Can I get a Thai Private Company Limited if I don't have four employees? I need the four employees and to work from an office in order to get a one year, multiple entry visa?

Gongchime.

The situation you describe does not entitle you to any special immigration status - but - Thai diplomatic posts have a lot of discretion.  If you are a Korean citizen, you might be able to talk the Thai Embassy into giving you a non-immigrant Class B visa, for purpose of "exploring business opportunities in Thailand".  With that, you would receive a 90 day entry permit upon arrival. If you managed to obtain a  one-year multiple-entry visa, you would need to make a border crossing run every 90 days.  Most people make such a run to the Cambodian border.

Your other approach would be to come to Thailand, start a Thai Private Co. Ltd., obtain a work permit as Managing Director, and run your activity as a proper business here.  If you do not wish to hire at least four Thai employees, and work from a proper commercial office, then you would still have to operate on the basis of 90 day vsia runs - but - with work permit - you would be almost assured of being able to get a one-year, multiple-entry visa.

Good luck!

Steve Sykes

Managing Director

Indo-Siam Group

Bangkok

[email protected]

www.thaistartup.com

I was thinking Steve had made it about as plain and simple as can be and it should be pinned. But I guess I was wrong again. :o

Believe what he did say was that you could set up a company and become MD.

As this would qualify for a work permit you could obtain same and use that/company to obtain a multi entry visa.

And you could do this without the physical office and employment of Thai that would be required for an extension of stay (one year) from immigration.

So yes you can set up company without 4 employees. And no you do not need the office/employees to obtain a one year multi entry visa. You do need if you want one year extension of stay from immigration.

Lopburi is exactly correct.

A couple other points, if you go the "create Thai company" route:

1) You will have to have company officially registered at a legally sufficient address - even if you are working from home. In most cases, you will not be able to register the business at a residential address. So - you will need to pay for a "front" office somewhere. My company - as an example - can provide this service.

2) You will need to accomplish monthly bookeeping - filing of two to four monthly submissions. So - you will need to outsiurce bookkeeping/accounting. Again, companies such as mine can provide such services.

So - if you launch a company, you will have a monthlky "burn rate" - consisting of:

1) Office hosting fee

2) Accounting fee

3) Personal income tax and social fund witholding

Cheers!

Steve

Indo-Siam

Thanks,

that clears things up and gives me useful references too. When my music campaign really starts to take off about four years later, hope you're still around. I play a mixture of traditional Malaysian, Javanese, Sundanese, Balinese, Burmese, Laotain, Cambodian, Vietnamese and Thai classical music mixed with an American popular music approach. I did tons of research learning how these different genres are put together and how to market it to my niche the "cultural creatives".

Wish me luck,

Gongchime

Lopburi is exactly correct.

A couple other points, if you go the "create Thai company" route:

1)  You will have to have company officially registered at a legally sufficient address - even if you are working from home.  In most cases, you will not be able to register the business at a residential address.  So - you will need to pay for a "front" office somewhere.  My company - as an example - can provide this service.

2)  You will need to accomplish monthly bookeeping -  filing of two to four monthly submissions.  So - you will need to outsiurce bookkeeping/accounting.  Again, companies such as mine can provide such services.

So - if you launch a company, you will have a monthlky "burn rate" - consisting of:

1)  Office hosting fee

2)  Accounting fee

3)  Personal income tax and social fund witholding

Cheers!

Steve

Indo-Siam

Thanks, Steve and Lopburi for such valuable informations! :o I am planning myself to do a "start up" business in Thailand in the near future. I wasn't sure myself, "How to" or where to begin. But, at least I have some ideas now! :D

Siam International Legal Group can assist you in obtaining a one-year non-immigrant visa or register your Thai Limited Company. See the details on the links below:

http://www.siam-legal.com/generalvisa_general.html

http://www.siam-legal.com/comreg.html

Dennis Ramm

Siam International Legal Group

www.siam-legal.com

Email: [email protected]