Ratschabury-Kanchanabury

swissie

I suppose, there are not too many Farangs living in the aerea Ratschabury / Kanchanabury. Have a few questions with regard to this aerea. So if anyone reads this and lives there (or knows the aerea from frequent travels), please respond. Cheers.

I suppose, there are not too many Farangs living in the aerea Ratschabury / Kanchanabury.

That's because most of them have moved to Ratchaburi and Kanchanaburi. :D

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

I suppose, there are not too many Farangs living in the aerea Ratschabury / Kanchanabury.

That's because most of them have moved to Ratchaburi and Kanchanaburi. :D

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

:w00t:

Wow! There seem to be a few Farangs in the area afterall. I have been married to my Thai-Wife for almost 10 years now and we are considering moving to Thailand permanently (we live in Switzerland). According to my wife, the aera in question would be desirable, because:

- The scenery is far less "boring" than in the Isaan.

- Unlike in the Isaan, one can leave the property unguarded, without having to fear that upon one's return "things will be missing". (My wife: Not same people than in Isaan!)

- Although not too far from Bangkok, Land-Prices are still reasonable (around 120'000 BHT per Rai in the countryside.)

- Good public transport to Bangkok.

- Hilly countryside, and not as hot as Bangkok for example.

Especially the small town of "Suan Phung" (west of Ratschabury) seems to have caught the fancy of my better half. Questions,questoins !

If somebody wants to comment regarding above questions you are welcome and thanks a lot. Just keep in mind that above statements come from my wife (I myself have never been in the aerea.)

Cheers.

Parts of Kan and Ratch can be boring simply because of the miles of paddies but it's true that you never have to go far to find some stunning scenery.

I have few fears of any undesirables in the area in which I live, a nice quiet village but I do lock the door when I go out but there are no bars on the windows and I feel no need for them.

Land prices start from about 60k bht here for paddy but jokers ask for 2million when I see some nice real estate along the river. Can be 400-500k per rai along a main road, land in our village is maybe 120k along a road with electric and water.

Kanchanaburi to BKK is 2.5 hours on the bus, nearly double that on the train and maybe 2 if you like driving fast.

Wifey says that's it's "f***ing hot" sometimes and it can get over 40C in the hot season and Kan does seem to have a rep sometimes for being on the warm side but I have no complaints. Can't comment on living up in the hills further west.

Especially the small town of "Suan Phung" (west of Ratschabury) seems to have caught the fancy of my better half. Questions,questoins !

If somebody wants to comment regarding above questions you are welcome and thanks a lot. Just keep in mind that above statements come from my wife (I myself have never been in the aerea.)

Cheers.

We live about 90 minutes easy drive from Suanphung. Suanphung itself is a small hill town about 45km to the north-west of Ratchaburi city. It used to be very pretty - lots of hills, not much else, lying parallel to the Burma border.

- BUT -

along come the resorts. There has been rapid massive over-development, with upwards of 20 (estimate based on recent visit) new resorts built or being built along the two main roads in the area, and the small rural road which eventually takes you to Danmakhamtia, and onwards to Kanchanaburi. Sadly, many of these resorts are 'illegal' developments, with land obtained, questionably, by high ranking military and police officers. There have even been probing news reports into these developments on the otherwise benign Channel 3 Late News!

The resorts try very hard to be better or different from the others - one with sheep, another based on 'The Flintstones' cartoon! :bah: The developments have gouged away the hillsides. Result, with the recent heavy rains, a lot of soil erosion making even more ugly holes in the hillsides. We think these developments have / are rapidly destroying the quiet nature of the place, and the natural beauty which we used to enjoy. As the resorts have come, so have the restaurants.

I believe you are in for a SHOCK when looking for a plot of land in this area - I don't have first hand info on prices, but I am certain it will be excessively high because of the clamour by 'developers' to destroy it.

Might be worth doing a Google search for Suanphung resorts B)

Dah Fahrang has hit the nail firmly on the head. I fully agree with what he says. 2 years ago the area was just pituresque with a few resorts, now they are springing up all over the place and the prices escalating. However close by there are some smaller villages where the land prices are still low, land well below 100,00 per rai. I think it is moo 13 where quite a few foreigners have built houses. I have Thai relatives who live in the area and they confirm thet land prices are not increasing significantly away from the main developments. It's a regular attraction for us even though it's about 75k away. Mountains, hot springs waterfalls and a few other intresting features. The tourist area is very close to the Mynamar border and although living right in the main area has advantages if being right on top of the beautiful scenery, living a short distance away will have it's advantages. Obviously setting up a house would be significantly cheaper. It would also mean that you are closer to Ratchaburi with it's services. 3 large supermarkets and many other things.

Thanks guys for all the info. Very helpful. If at all, we won't be looking for land near the Resorts. But still, I would not want to chase escalating land prices. I think that means that we will have to "take action" fairly soon.

- Suan Phung is near the Border to Myanmar but my (somewhat large scale) map does not show a road going into Myanmar from Suan Phung. Or is there one with Border-Station and all the trimmings?

Thanks & cheers.

- Suan Phung is near the Border to Myanmar but my (somewhat large scale) map does not show a road going into Myanmar from Suan Phung.

Thanks & cheers.

No end of the road coffee1.gif

Been there btw whistling.gif and a long drop down the mountain to Burma ohmy.gif

Edited by Kan Win

- Suan Phung is near the Border to Myanmar but my (somewhat large scale) map does not show a road going into Myanmar from Suan Phung.

Thanks & cheers.

No end of the road coffee1.gif

Been there btw whistling.gif and a long drop down the mountain to Burma ohmy.gif

Looking at the map I can see "the long drop down the mountain to Burma". Probably a dirt road that requires a 4-wheel drive vehicule !?!

- But would it be possible to use the Border-Station (probably on top of the mountain, where the border actually is located) for Visa-Run purposes ?

If we settle in the aerea, longer term I would get a "1 year O-Visa". But not at first when we just look around to get a feel for the surroundings.

Thanks & cheers.

The lovely lady who calls herself "Lioness" also lives in the Kanchanaburi area, but I haven't seen her post in a long time. If I wasn't happy in Chiang Mai with my friends my next choice would be the Kanchanaburi area. I love the mountains and the easy access southward to the penninsula.

- But would it be possible to use the Border-Station (probably on top of the mountain, where the border actually is located) for Visa-Run purposes ?

Thanks & cheers.

No, there has never been one in Rat nor Kan ph34r.gif to do a Visa-Run cool.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Gruezie Herr Swissie,

I have a wife from Kanchanaburi Province - Town Tha Maka. Kan certainly has grown on me altbeith we do not live there yet but in Norway. There are quite few farangs when you start to look and obviously some of them on this forum. There is no Suisse Restaurant though as far as I can tell, for the Rachlette you have to go to BKK or Pattaya. (I have actually eaten Rachlette there, the owner is Swiss).

There are plots of land for sale when you ask aroud or drive around, these plots I newer saw by surfing the thai real estate agents web sites.

There is a project calle Koruna Gardens in Ban Pong which we will take a look at (got the tip from DEREK -C on this forum) The prices seem to start at 2.69 Mio Bath. It's not in the mountains obviously if that is what you are looking for but it has a logistical avantage as it's kind of not too far from BKK nor Kanchanaburi town which I fancy to visit, and the road taking you to the main road south.

I used to live in Switzerland in my youth - 8 years of down hill skiing with some studies on the side and later working as a finance analyst. I love your country, but it was too early to settle down. I hope you'll find what you are looking for and be happy to share a meal with you when we both live there. :)

Gruezie Herr Swissie,

I have a wife from Kanchanaburi Province - Town Tha Maka. Kan certainly has grown on me altbeith we do not live there yet but in Norway. There are quite few farangs when you start to look and obviously some of them on this forum. There is no Suisse Restaurant though as far as I can tell, for the Rachlette you have to go to BKK or Pattaya. (I have actually eaten Rachlette there, the owner is Swiss).

There are plots of land for sale when you ask aroud or drive around, these plots I newer saw by surfing the thai real estate agents web sites.

There is a project calle Koruna Gardens in Ban Pong which we will take a look at (got the tip from DEREK -C on this forum) The prices seem to start at 2.69 Mio Bath. It's not in the mountains obviously if that is what you are looking for but it has a logistical avantage as it's kind of not too far from BKK nor Kanchanaburi town which I fancy to visit, and the road taking you to the main road south.

I used to live in Switzerland in my youth - 8 years of down hill skiing with some studies on the side and later working as a finance analyst. I love your country, but it was too early to settle down. I hope you'll find what you are looking for and be happy to share a meal with you when we both live there. :)

Hi Frank, my situation is a bit complicated and amusing at the same time.

My wifes older daughter has a "liaison" with the son of "a major family" in the aerea. This family has property in Kanchanabury & Ratschabury and also in Samut Songkran. The Deal: If my wifes daughter marries "the son of the major family," my wife & myself would get land for free from this "major family". At this point, the daughter is not yet sure if she want's to marry the guy. Very funny the whole thing! Anyway: If she can not make up her mind within 1 year, we will start looking on our own: If she marries him after that, she will have to re-emburse us for the land-purchase. (She agreed!) Really a funny situation. But this is Thailand.

I myself would not really need to live in a Hill/Mountain Aerea. (I am not the typical swiss!) I can also go without Raclette or Swiss-Jodeling for quiet a long time. HeHe! Always all in good humor, right? Cheers and thanks for the input.

Gruezie Herr Swissie,

Hi Frank, my situation is a bit complicated and amusing at the same time.

My wifes older daughter has a "liaison" with the son of "a major family" in the aerea. This family has property in Kanchanabury & Ratschabury and also in Samut Songkran. The Deal: If my wifes daughter marries "the son of the major family," my wife & myself would get land for free from this "major family". At this point, the daughter is not yet sure if she want's to marry the guy. Very funny the whole thing! Anyway: If she can not make up her mind within 1 year, we will start looking on our own: If she marries him after that, she will have to re-emburse us for the land-purchase. (She agreed!) Really a funny situation. But this is Thailand.

I myself would not really need to live in a Hill/Mountain Aerea. (I am not the typical swiss!) I can also go without Raclette or Swiss-Jodeling for quiet a long time. HeHe! Always all in good humor, right? Cheers and thanks for the input.

LOL - It sounds like Koruna Gardens in Ban Pong may be just the thing for you. We are touching down on January 8th and over the next couple of days we will go there and check the development out.

We might even bump into DEREK -C who is doing his swimming exercises in the communal pool there.........My appologies DEREK - C if this information is "need-to-know" only.

Edited by Frank La Rue

Recently Koruna Gardens has been taken over by the Landy group. The place now has been much improved. Yes, I still go swimming there 30 baht for me and 20 baht for my son, I'm not sure if residents get it free. Two websites will give you information www.ratchapruekproject.com and www.landyhome.co.th. We have been so impressed with the latest developments that we are considering selling our house and moving there. Talking to the people there , who we know well, they are prepared to be fexible. On one design we looked at included a swimming pool and 5 bathrooms. They would redesign for us to drop the swimming pool and 2 bathrooms. I believe there are a few foreigners with houses on the site a Canadian, Japanese, 2 Germans and probably quite a few that I don't know. For Swissie good luck with your plans and 'Frank' look forwards to seeing you next month.

• 3 months later...

Wow! There seem to be a few Farangs in the area afterall. I have been married to my Thai-Wife for almost 10 years now and we are considering moving to Thailand permanently (we live in Switzerland). According to my wife, the aera in question would be desirable, because:

you could try the switzerland of thailand khao kor.. maybe too far but cost and scenery all good.

- The scenery is far less "boring" than in the Isaan.

- Unlike in the Isaan, one can leave the property unguarded, without having to fear that upon one's return "things will be missing". (My wife: Not same people than in Isaan!)

- Although not too far from Bangkok, Land-Prices are still reasonable (around 120'000 BHT per Rai in the countryside.)

- Good public transport to Bangkok.

- Hilly countryside, and not as hot as Bangkok for example.

Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Swissie,

we live in Donklung - Ratchaburi now.

We looked around in Ratchaburi - Samut Songkhram for ab 3 years to find some land (Kanchanaburi is to hot)...

Finally got a piece of land with yeti (1/2 rai) last year near the Mea Khlong river in Samut Songkhram, quite expensive but OK, it's nice , clean , ready to build on and near to all facilitys and i guess safe aswell...

Full chanote in a private small land development with wide private road.

Still some pieces left...

The inlaws are RENTING some land to shrimp farmers for 100 000 TB / year for 2 rai in a rural area near Ratchaburi, so 120 000 / rai to BUY ?

I guess not...

The wife said for that price have to look in some remote areas and probably need a 4WD...

Anyway good luck and hope you find what you're lookng for !