Building House Basement

Hi!

We are gonna make a house in Isaan. I have searched around alot, but can not find anobody who have made a house with a basement. I wanna make a house with a basement because this would save some money on the electric bill, and i like basements :)

I want to hear from people who have either done this or have some advice about building a basement in wet conditions. Its not gonna be a big house, about 80 sq m ground areal.

Thanks guys.

Norway

Edited by noname82

Why would a house with a basement gives savings in electric bill? If you are contemplating a cool area to take shade from the hot afternoons, an elevated house with a 'tai toon' will serve the same function.

http://thailand.prd.go.th/inbrief/inbrief_view.php?id=8&titleno=31

Basement construction with the least problem in waterproofing requires the use of ready-mix concrete which most part of Issan lacks.

The ground below the surface is definitely cooler, but from what I have heard, that causes mildew to occur in basements due to our tropical humidity. (Water condenses on the walls.) That is assuming you are well above the water table which other posters have already mentioned.