Bangkok To Hat Yai - Train Or Bus?

shafraz

Hello,

I am planning to make a visit from Bangkok to Hat Yai with my Girlfriend.

Comfort is a priority. Time taken for the journey is a important factor too. I don't want to fly or drive or etc. I am considering the options of either Taking a bus or Train. I know that both bus and train have 1st class/VIP service. However, I have a few questions that I'd like to know the answers to.

1) Which gives the most comfortable Journey? Train 1st/2nd Class Sleepers OR VIP 24 Seater Bus.

2) How long is the travel time on Train and on Bus?

I would like to know what would be the best way to book the ticket for the said journey? I am currently not in Thailand, thus would prefer to book the tickets online, if possible. I am not sure which website is legitimate and which is not, thus advice would be much appreciated.

If it cannot be done online, then what are my alternatives. My travel dates are fixed and firm and It's a must I travel on schedule.

Thank you very much!

Cheers,

Shaf

I know you said you don't want to fly, but do you really want to spend 24 hours on a gruelling bus or train journey?

For 5,560 Baht for the both of you, you can fly Air Asia and be there in just one and a half hours, and no hassles. http://www.airasia.com/th/en/home.html

Thank you for your suggestion and concern. Infact, I was thinking of taking AirAsia when returning from Hat Yai. Onward journey, I'd prefer the Train / Bus - Thus I'm trying to collect information on what would be best.

Bus: around 15 hours, more departures, less room to walk around, cheaper than train for 2nd class & above, will have a a few stops for food and toilet, nice food.

Train: around 20 hours, less departures, more room to walk around, more expemsive than bus on 2nd class and above, no stops that allow you to go out to eat, poor food choice.

The bus is a very uncomfortable journey.Totally, not recommended. The night sleeper trains, yes they are slow, but you can sleep.In a bed.I always travelled 2nd. class ,non air. it can get quite cold at night.I found no need for air-con. There is plenty of food available, both from the restaurant car ,and at nearly all the stations the train stops at. Me? I likes me beer .You can drink in the restaurant car or as I do ,take a cooler with 6 cans secreted inside. I do a bit of both. besides which ,you can interact with other passengers. That is, if they are Thai and go to sleep at sundown,hahaha.The train is very much the recommended option.But book on either the International Express or the Sungai Golok train. Never ,ever travel on the Yala train.And yes , you can book in advance ,through your normal travel agent .Up tp about 60 days in advance. Not sure exactly how many days

I know you said you don't want to fly, but do you really want to spend 24 hours on a gruelling bus or train journey?

For 5,560 Baht for the both of you, you can fly Air Asia and be there in just one and a half hours, and no hassles. http://www.airasia.com/th/en/home.html

Thank you for your suggestion and concern. Infact, I was thinking of taking AirAsia when returning from Hat Yai. Onward journey, I'd prefer the Train / Bus - Thus I'm trying to collect information on what would be best.

I found this link which includes details of the bus to Hat Yai: http://www.1stopbang...tting_here/bus/

But take "VIP" with a large pinch of salt. I took just such a trip a couple of weeks ago from Sakaeo to Bangkok and "VIP" meant a little nozzle in the luggage rack above my seat which blew semi cold air. However, you had to insert your nose into it virtually to actually feel anything.

I had the distinct feeling the vehicle was going to shake itself to pieces before we completed the journey because the driver seemed to search for every pothole he could find and there were plenty of them along the route.

The bus also stank of diesel fuel.

Thank you for the wonderful response! I guess I would take the train. Irrespective of the time, the comfort is important.

Any idea which sites I can use to book the tickets? Also, non a/c was recommended -- don't things get hot without a/c? Specially in such a long journey?

But take "VIP" with a large pinch of salt. I took just such a trip a couple of weeks ago from Sakaeo to Bangkok and "VIP" meant a little nozzle in the luggage rack above my seat which blew semi cold air. However, you had to insert your nose into it virtually to actually feel anything.

I had the distinct feeling the vehicle was going to shake itself to pieces before we completed the journey because the driver seemed to search for every pothole he could find and there were plenty of them along the route.

The bus also stank of diesel fuel.

laugh.gif I love your irony

Trains are fully booked weeks or months before departure

Do not call

Just go to the train station and see what seats they have left

Second class is perfect if you can get a seat in the middle of the train where you get sockets to plug your computer in (movies...)

Otherwise first is good (double price though or maybe thrice I can't recall)

Nevertheless, as I said, go to Hua lampong

Do not queue at the counters: on the right side of the tracks there is an office. Take a number, the waiting is more pleasant and the staff is helpful (outside too, but you may get some frustrated people in line behind you)

Definitely the train, air con carriages are a lot cleaner and you get a blanket included in your bedding to keep you warm if you're worried about the aircon . The art of travelling is not only how you spend your time at point A or point B, but also how you journey between the two. To be able to sit in the open carriage doorway (be careful not to fall out) with a whiskey from the restaurant car and a cigarette and watch the scenery unfold ..........ok ....I'll stop now .......yeah take the train.........you probably need to book a week in advance, maybe less. A good website is "The Man In Seat 61" for train times and prices. Bon Voyage.

Thank you folks! You guys have been wonderfully helpful.

I'm reading thru seat61, and let me see if I can get the tickets booked online, if failed, I shall let me get my girlfriend to goto Hua lampong and do it over the counters may be tomorrow!

Really really appreciate all the responses!

I have not used in the last 6 or so years but do not expect much different now than then.

Government 24 seat bus is a very comfortable trip with food stop but used to be subject to frequent road blockages (strikes) which could leave you using back farm roads and dodging burning tires. I never sleep on bus and this type had room to stay in a sitting position (like an aircraft seat). Avoid the seat directly behind driver as no foot room.

Rail service is slow and noisy (although newer cars are much better) and food qualify varies by who has the contract. Nothing very good. Second class is better for sleep and you are along sides of car so stops/starts do not roll you out of bunk as in 1st class. If not a person who likes night travel train would be best as you can easily sleep or at least rest.

Bus: around 15 hours, more departures, less room to walk around, cheaper than train for 2nd class & above, will have a a few stops for food and toilet, nice food.

Train: around 20 hours, less departures, more room to walk around, more expemsive than bus on 2nd class and above, no stops that allow you to go out to eat, poor food choice.

You mentioned train takes around 20 hours. The Timetable / Schedule at Seat61: http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm#Southern Thailand shows:

Train Number 37 Departs Bangkok at 15:10 and Arrives at Hat Yai at 07:31 (Next Day). Thats about 15 hours isn't it? All other trains also show about 15 hours on the schedule. Do they *Always* run late? Is that how the 20 hours work out?

As per the details you have mentioned, Train would be a much better option than Bus. For a journey as long as 15~20 hours, comfort should definitely be considered. No doubt it will cost you bit more but 15~20 hrs is a long time. So If I was at your place, I would certainly go for sleeper train over uncomfortable bus.

Certainly, the Yala train is original sleeper rolling stock. The beds are much narrower. Also ,the restaurant car is much poorer in terms of quality of food and service.It must be said that it is rare for Farang to be seen on it.The most comfortable sleeper train , is the International Express. Though it is slightly more expensive.But often, it is fully booked. Recommended , is that you try and book about 2 weeks in advance.

I've been on the train to Hatyai, boarding at Sam San left 2.45pm was supposed to arrive Hatyai 7.30am but it arrived 8.45am. This New Year going Penang via Airasia to Hatyai, bus to Butterworth then Georgetown and fly back from Penang.

Got Cheap tickets.

Buses have a reputation for being in a bit of a rush. But yes faster of course.Trains have cockroach's. I would train 1st class next time and take a can of bug spray.

Edited by LindsayBKK