Jet-Ski Smash Turns Phuket Honeymoon Into Tragedy

george

Gee, this new Ferrari looks nice. I wonder if it will go 200 mile an hour like they advertise. Maybe I should rent it and try it out on the city streets.

A gas governor to be installed unless the renter has had a great deal of experience with prof, sober!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

RIP. A case of inexperience and naivety.

Jet skis CAN BE fun. However, you need to know how to handle the performance and limitations and the riding environment.

The current situation does not consider rider ability, safety or noise. That is an unacceptable ACTUAL [not perceived] Threat to longevity.

TRYMSTAUMO:

Quote:"Driving a jetski is is not a sport for everybody. You need some basic

skills to operate a PWC not jetski as it is called in this thread. If you

do not know how to operate a speedboat, you have nothing to do on a

PWC. You have to be able to read the sea and the waves, to adjust

the speed to get a smoth ride. Sometimes it can be better to go faster

just to avoid the danger of digging into arough wave. In other words:

If the significant wave hight is 2 meter you can get a better and more

confortable ride in 30 knots rather than 20, because you are crruising

on the wavetops instead of diving into the boittom of every wave. You

also need som skills aboat hoiw to use the throttle to avoid hard landings

after a take off. This is not a recomended sport for newbies ! Renting out

a PWC to people without boating experience should be banned. It is crazy.

I have experience with speeds up to 70 knots, and I have been out in the

deep blue for more than 35 years,. I know what I am talking about.

I am a naval instructor and I got a boat driving licence in 1981. MY

ADVICE STOP THE MADNESS !"

100% correct buddy.

I could also add the lack of steering when off the throttle. Most PWC's have no brakes and use thrust vectoring to steer, if you back off to avoid an obstacle - you won't...

Some PWC's have a slow speed water rudder and some [seadoo] have a reverse thrust attached to a "brake" lever. These should be mandatory fitment.

Unfortunately the rental fleet are usually built to a price point.

Reason1:

"What a boring bunch of spoil sport old farts you are! Jet Skis are fun and should not be banned just restricted to their own bit of sea where harm is least. Crashing a Ski through a wave at full throttle is great stuff. Folks will always die on the edge always have always will. Skis are tame stuff really but still fun. I can tell you that a 750cc bike on a Thai road in the middle of the night when no one is around will do 134 mph! Sorry for the folks that died."

Not sure what you are getting at. I too enjoy 200+ km/h blasts. But I do it in an environment [racetrack, autobahn - and okay; occasionally a deserted road :ph34r:] where the threat is less. It's called risk management.

Edited by bobfish

Ugly & useless things. Can't they be banned?

This is like saying ban all cars because people get killed in them. It is not the equipment but the human factor. It was suggested that it might have been her first time at the controls.

As for the sam that is associated with jet skis I think that it would be better to kill off the scum that are associated with them. But it is Thailand so nothing will be done TIT

Where is all the reporting on the positive, optimistic, and inspiring good news in the world? It is out there for sure, but it seems most sites and newspapers like this are addicted to sensationalistic negativism.

I agree that the positive side of life is much less reported.

In this special article however I not really see sensationalism. Someone else might read it and will not rent a jetski - - - as a consequence he will be alive the following day.

If it is only for saving this one life, the article was worth to be published; no?

I see the trouble with the jetskis that people have free access and they are made believe that operation is fool-proof.

Just imagine how it would be like, if cars and bikes or aircrafts were rented out with no (driving) license shown beforehand.

There was a mentioning of the group guide: He had seen the risk and had warned his guys. I find this to be a positive report (as a detail);

Hoping that the cat is ok is not so absurd as it looks: The boat's crew might have been harmed as well: I know of a case where a powerboat out of control went up another boat and shaved the upper construction with its propellers - the surprised crew could duck down just early enough...

What a boring bunch of spoil sport old farts you are! Jet Skis are fun and should not be banned just restricted to their own bit of sea where harm is least. Crashing a Ski through a wave at full throttle is great stuff. Folks will always die on the edge always have always will. Skis are tame stuff really but still fun. I can tell you that a 750cc bike on a Thai road in the middle of the night when no one is around will do 134 mph! Sorry for the folks that died.

Quote: ' Crashing a Ski through a wave at full throttle is great stuff'

It's even a much greater fun when you crash a ski through some unlucky swimmer's head. Now, that's what I call real FUN!!!'

How many innocent swimmers have died as a result of someone's having fun?

YOU OUGHT TO HAVE YOUR HEAD EXAMINED IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE IN WHAT YOU HAVE WRITTEN.

I am sure HE will have his head examined if he is going on with his 750ccm faster as 100KM/h, sooner or later you will find these kind of "I GIVE A F..K about others" in Bangkok Phuket or Vachira Hospital. A hour or two on the Emergency rooms when Highseason in Phuket should do it :rolleyes: one thing is to die, another is to loose a leg or sittn in a wheelchair for the rest of his life. Sorry kid but Phukets roads are not made for speeding, even at night, there are dogs, cats and sometimes motobikes without lights or drunken Thais/Farangs crossing. Anyway, I am VERY sure you will find out by yourself sooner or later, one way or another.... :jap:

Even boring old farts have rights – as do thrill seeking youngsters.

Segregated areas for swimming; boating; skiing – obvious.

But would not have stopped this tragedy – she should not have been allowed to try, but sounds as if she was determined – or her BF was.

Sad for a lot of people.

terrible, in Thailand jet skis appear to be cursed, something to be avoided along with the scam as described in another post

Yes, cursed by a media and readers that pounce on tragedy and fear-based news. Granted this is sad news, but the fact is that thousands of people are killed in accidents around the world every day. What can we do? Ban jetSkis? That's not the problem -- the issue is careless, adventure-seeing risk-takers. Why does the news feel it has to report all of them?

Also every day *tens of thousands* of babies are born to ecstatic parents, thousands of medical "miracle" recoveries occur, numerous long-time friends are re-united, get new jobs, publish a book, invent a new cure, etc. Millions go about their lives every day working peacefully for good ends at charities, non-profits, and spiritual groups for the betterment of humans and the planet. Worst case, billions of people have a normal day. Does anyone ever stop to consider the relative weight which is given and perceived by the prominent promotion of freak, horrific incidents?

Where is all the reporting on the positive, optimistic, and inspiring good news in the world? It is out there for sure, but it seems most sites and newspapers like this are addicted to sensationalistic negativism.

Sad, sad poor hapless soul you are.

You miss the entire reason for the news and newspapers these days.

Tell me, what do you always see when you are watching the news, something that is much more important these days to what the news is about?

What is always very prominently placed within the camera view of the person reading the news??

Product placement and advertising, that's what. The news and most of television and printed material is there just for the advertising they can sell. And let me tell you, they have tried to do the enlightening shows and for the most part they simply don't win the ratings game. Sensationalism is all the game when you want to sell advertising space, just look at the amount of tabloids available, and then take a look at the advertising.

Do you really think that the cost of a newspaper or news program covers the cost of producing it, writing the stories, delivering it to the consumer? Surely not.

So sad as it is, we will always have a diet of sensationalist views because we are happy to pick up a cheap newspaper, or watch a free news show, and we pay for it by seeing or watching the adds.

terrible, in Thailand jet skis appear to be cursed, something to be avoided along with the scam as described in another post

Yes, cursed by a media and readers that pounce on tragedy and fear-based news. Granted this is sad news, but the fact is that thousands of people are killed in accidents around the world every day. What can we do? Ban jetSkis? That's not the problem -- the issue is careless, adventure-seeing risk-takers. Why does the news feel it has to report all of them?

Also every day *tens of thousands* of babies are born to ecstatic parents, thousands of medical "miracle" recoveries occur, numerous long-time friends are re-united, get new jobs, publish a book, invent a new cure, etc. Millions go about their lives every day working peacefully for good ends at charities, non-profits, and spiritual groups for the betterment of humans and the planet. Worst case, billions of people have a normal day. Does anyone ever stop to consider the relative weight which is given and perceived by the prominent promotion of freak, horrific incidents?

Sad, sad poor hapless soul you are.

You miss the entire reason for the news and newspapers these days.

Tell me, what do you always see when you are watching the news, something that is much more important these days to what the news is about?

What is always very prominently placed within the camera view of the person reading the news??

Product placement and advertising, that's what. The news and most of television and printed material is there just for the advertising they can sell. And let me tell you, they have tried to do the enlightening shows and for the most part they simply don't win the ratings game. Sensationalism is all the game when you want to sell advertising space, just look at the amount of tabloids available, and then take a look at the advertising.

Do you really think that the cost of a newspaper or news program covers the cost of producing it, writing the stories, delivering it to the consumer? Surely not.

So sad as it is, we will always have a diet of sensationalist views because we are happy to pick up a cheap newspaper, or watch a free news show, and we pay for it by seeing or watching the adds.

I agree with all the poster said who pointed out that advertising pays for it and so news purveyors need many customers.

We must not forget also that by definition happy normal days are so widespread that they are not news. It is that simple.

Shame Thailand your tourist will soon be depleted and people will stop coming to your country on holidays as they will get sick of being scammed by thai people who are dishonest and trying to rip of the tourist with jet ski scams trying to keep there deposit.

Your police department is an absolute joke these operators should be stopped from doing business and this needs to happen ASAP as there are many good people in Thailand and these type of people should be exterminated from operating businesses.

I am so sorry for this couple that had this accident but I am commenting on a previous post about the young Irish tourist in Pattaya that were scammed vfor 18 thousand baht for damage to a jet ski that they did not do and when they said they would not pay the operator pulled a knife on him.

SHAME SHAME SHAME THAILAND YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE NO TOURIST LEFT SOON.

The authority's in Thailand need to exterminate these pests out of the industry.

well they will never be banned, if anything they will prosper. This accident was not the fault of the jet ski but the operator.

R.I.P very sad.

You gotta feel for the operator though. Who's going to pay for the damages?

Yes, cursed by a media and readers that pounce on...................given and perceived by the prominent promotion of freak, horrific incidents?

It is just as valid to mourn death, esp. if senseless and tragic, as it is to celebrate Life and the good in this world, yes?

Brewsta

Edited by Brewsta

Hope is at hand...

http://www.phuketgazette.net/digitalgazette3/Mar03_07.pdf?thequerytype=&id=76259&Cat=34

As of March 4 2011, so just THREE months to go, these dam_n things will be totally banned from Phuket.

HOWEVER

I am not willing to bet one single satang that the ban will actually be followed through. It will instead turn into a lucrative source of extra income for my friends and yours, those proud wearers of the tight brown uniform and upholders of the(ir) Laws.

Gee, this new Ferrari looks nice. I wonder if it will go 200 mile an hour like they advertise. Maybe I should rent it and try it out on the city streets.

And maybe get a drivers license first!

Maybe many of these accidents could be avoided, if there was a requirement for a valid drivers license for motorbike (or motor boat) in place, together with a requirement of wearing helmet and life-jacket? Then the Bib would also have a brand new way to collect tea-money, instead of neading cut the share with the Jet-ski scammers.

Very tragic though. R.I.P.

Edited by Xonax

I agree and disagree with your comment.

Personally I think they look great and they are not useless as they give people a lot of recreational fun and excitement.

But there are many issues with these machines that strongly warrant a ban:

1) They are highly polluting and create a thin gasoline, oil and exhaust slick on the waters surface, this cotes swimmers in a petroleum film which is very unhealthy. Destroys marine life and the smell is horrible as well.

2) In the hands of amateurs (about 99% of users) they are potentially highly dangerous and in worst case scenarios can lead to death and serious injuries.

3) Noise pollution have you ever tried to relax and shut your eyes in a deck chair on a public beach? all you hear is the constant revving and droning sounds of motor craft.

4) The whole business of rentals on the beaches (of everything) of Thailand seems to be un-regulated and looks like some kind of mafia or organized crime related business.

5) Its not nice to see innocent visitors to Thailand getting ripped off even if they are from a culture that make them prime targets.

Basically they should be banned and only allowed during international water sport events such as the one they have once a year at Jomtien Beach.

B)

What a boring bunch of spoil sport old farts you are! Jet Skis are fun and should not be banned just restricted to their own bit of sea where harm is least. Crashing a Ski through a wave at full throttle is great stuff. Folks will always die on the edge always have always will. Skis are tame stuff really but still fun. I can tell you that a 750cc bike on a Thai road in the middle of the night when no one is around will do 134 mph! Sorry for the folks that died.

GOSH! You are my hero! But have you considered that your bikes braking distance is far in excess of your headlights reach? No?

I love big, fast bikes. They are a Darwinian enhancer helping to increase the quality of the gene pool.

Very very tragic, condolences, R.I.P.

Can something good come out of that?

Only if more people realize that Thailand is an unregulated, wild country that can be dangerous for them if they don't exercise self-control beyond the level they are accustomed to in their homelands. Western countries especially are mostly "nanny-states" with government introduced safety legislation aiming at protecting their citizens. This is good for some and bad for the others, who are able to self-control at higher than average levels. Those safety nets don't exist in Thailand. There is little point in arguing to introduce them here since neither Thai public or government are ready for that. One can only take Thailand for what it is and watch out while on holidays or don't come here.

We should do everything in our power to get these stupid Jet skis banned. Write articles, complain and protest and report every accident, Or a least confine them to a specific beach. People go to the beach to relax and swim, many times swimmers fear to enter the water. They are driven sometimes by very young children who behave irresponsibly and also thrill seekers. The biggest problem in Thailand is the lack of proper control, adequate insurance and a deterrent, and most of all by the irresponsible of people who own them.

Anyone who kills or maims someone with a jet ski should face very serious consequences

A tragic accident for a young couple at the peak of their lives. I trust they are in a better place and it is good they didn't hurt / kill anyone else.

For the rest of you, Thailand is a country based on Buddhism which says death is part of life. It is sad that they died, but it doesn't become your responsibility to make everyone else live as long as possible. Thailand is one of the few places that is free enough to allow me to go rent a jet ski and put my own life at risk if I so choose.

When I first came to Thailand I stayed in a hotel in Bangkok, on the twenty something floor and my window fully opened with no screen to the concrete pavement far below. I was astonished and told my Thai friend, "You would never see this in America, someone would fall out and sue the hotel." Their reply, "Here in Thailand we think if you're dumb enough to fall out it's your own fault.".... I smiled and thought, "I'm going to like this place."

I believe its called natural selection?

When will we let people be accountable for their own actions? This couple was warned not to do it, told that it is dangerous and a lot of accidents occurred. They continued to ride when the rain made it hard to see... It was their choice to get on the Jet Ski. I for one love Thailand because people are free to make these decisions for themselves. I have rented jet skis several times. Once I ended up with 12 stitches in my foot, another time I had a 2nd degree sprain in my wrist. Two very fun days that I wouldn't change if I could. It was my fault, and I went back and rode them again. If I go kill myself on one, it shouldn't stop someone else who is more responsible than me from doing what they want.

361 people died during the Songkran holiday,

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/transport/175108/

Shouldn't we first ban Songkran so we can save more lives?

30 - 40 people die each DAY in Thailand on motorbikes

http://voyagner.com/renting-a-motorbike-in-thailand/

I guess we should ban those too.

more than 300 people died on a bridge in Cambodia... Let's ban bridges!

How about this, we just make everyone stay home in bed all day everyday. Not allowed to leave the house except to get some food. We could ban sharp objects and put soft padding on the walls. Surely that would be the safest thing we could do and everyone can just live forever.

I'm all for restricted zones, DUI laws, education and other things that keep you safe from other idoits, but I can't stand people trying to protect me from myself!

Final Thought... If the laws, regulations, policies or beaches in your home country make it so much better than Thailand, GO BACK.

How about paying some respect to the dead, you callous moron!

This post make sense.

The government should insist on the ski operators to be 100% responsible for whatever happens, a) damage,B) injury and c) death, the law should insist on operators to be fully insured to cover a, b & c this insurance cover would attract a very high premium.

So the whole industry would become regulated and would compensate riders and operators, those who don't comply would be finned huge amounts or face jail terms. If someone is injured or dies the victim or family would be well compensated (I am talking about proper compensation, not the normal insult the government gives out to Thais such as 50,000 baht for loss of life, no this will have to be "proper" insurance ie. over 1M + us$ for a death) if the operator did not have the required insurance then he simply goes to jail and the boat confiscated.

Who agrees with this approach?

:D

We should do everything in our power to get these stupid Jet skis banned. Write articles, complain and protest and report every accident, Or a least confine them to a specific beach. People go to the beach to relax and swim, many times swimmers fear to enter the water. They are driven sometimes by very young children who behave irresponsibly and also thrill seekers. The biggest problem in Thailand is the lack of proper control, adequate insurance and a deterrent, and most of all by the irresponsible of people who own them.

Anyone who kills or maims someone with a jet ski should face very serious consequences

Very very tragic, condolences, R.I.P.

Can something good come out of that?

Only if more people realize that Thailand is an unregulated, wild country that can be dangerous for them if they don't exercise self-control beyond the level they are accustomed to in their homelands. Western countries especially are mostly "nanny-states" with government introduced safety legislation aiming at protecting their citizens. This is good for some and bad for the others, who are able to self-control at higher than average levels. Those safety nets don't exist in Thailand. There is little point in arguing to introduce them here since neither Thai public or government are ready for that. One can only take Thailand for what it is and watch out while on holidays or don't come here.

RIP

Bungy jumping, renting a big bike or a jet ski is just as dangerous in the west as here. People on holiday mood do things they are not trained to do.

Bungy jumping, renting a big bike or a jet ski is just as dangerous in the west as here. People on holiday mood do things they are not trained to do.

I'd have to disagree with regards to bungy jumping. Bungy jumping deaths are extremely rare but there's absolutely no way I'd do it in Thailand as safely standards vary a lot from country to country.

Finally someone here's telling something decent !

I totally agree with you !

:jap:

A tragic accident for a young couple at the peak of their lives. I trust they are in a better place and it is good they didn't hurt / kill anyone else.

For the rest of you, Thailand is a country based on Buddhism which says death is part of life. It is sad that they died, but it doesn't become your responsibility to make everyone else live as long as possible. Thailand is one of the few places that is free enough to allow me to go rent a jet ski and put my own life at risk if I so choose.

When I first came to Thailand I stayed in a hotel in Bangkok, on the twenty something floor and my window fully opened with no screen to the concrete pavement far below. I was astonished and told my Thai friend, "You would never see this in America, someone would fall out and sue the hotel." Their reply, "Here in Thailand we think if you're dumb enough to fall out it's your own fault.".... I smiled and thought, "I'm going to like this place."

I believe its called natural selection?

When will we let people be accountable for their own actions? This couple was warned not to do it, told that it is dangerous and a lot of accidents occurred. They continued to ride when the rain made it hard to see... It was their choice to get on the Jet Ski. I for one love Thailand because people are free to make these decisions for themselves. I have rented jet skis several times. Once I ended up with 12 stitches in my foot, another time I had a 2nd degree sprain in my wrist. Two very fun days that I wouldn't change if I could. It was my fault, and I went back and rode them again. If I go kill myself on one, it shouldn't stop someone else who is more responsible than me from doing what they want.

361 people died during the Songkran holiday,

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/transport/175108/

Shouldn't we first ban Songkran so we can save more lives?

30 - 40 people die each DAY in Thailand on motorbikes

http://voyagner.com/renting-a-motorbike-in-thailand/

I guess we should ban those too.

more than 300 people died on a bridge in Cambodia... Let's ban bridges!

How about this, we just make everyone stay home in bed all day everyday. Not allowed to leave the house except to get some food. We could ban sharp objects and put soft padding on the walls. Surely that would be the safest thing we could do and everyone can just live forever.

I'm all for restricted zones, DUI laws, education and other things that keep you safe from other idoits, but I can't stand people trying to protect me from myself!

Final Thought... If the laws, regulations, policies or beaches in your home country make it so much better than Thailand, GO BACK.

When any person die in any way there are always those that want "it" banned. Jet skis? What are the odds of dying? one in 10,000. If a person wants to take a risk doing something that may get them injured or killed such as riding motorcycles - how many farangs come to Thailand for and rent a motorbike for the first time in their lives - should they be banned? People die riding motorbikes.

Should automobiles be banned? Many people are injured or killed driving or riding in them? How much freedom do we take away? When does the bureaucracy, the government start when banning everything? Chip, chip, chipping away until all we can do is walk and a set time could be put into law for that. People are told that motorbikes & jet skis are dangerous if not properly operated. Freedom to choose is what Thailand is all about, not strict rules on everything you can say and do as in the West which becomes more dictatorial every day - no smoking, no drinking, cameras watching the people, police everywhere, etc. I left that behind and love my extra freedoms in Thailand. Too bad about the accident but those things happen in life and certainly should not be banned. Those who do not like jet skis,, that think they are too dangerous, don't rent or buy one. But, leave everybody else alone to live their lives with choices. Unless someone bothers you personally, it is none of your business.

You appear as a newbie on here and clearly, judging by the things you just wrote, you're a newbie to Thailand aswell. It will never affect tourism in Thailand, nothing will ...

Shame Thailand your tourist will soon be depleted and people will stop coming to your country on holidays as they will get sick of being scammed by thai people who are dishonest and trying to rip of the tourist with jet ski scams trying to keep there deposit.

Your police department is an absolute joke these operators should be stopped from doing business and this needs to happen ASAP as there are many good people in Thailand and these type of people should be exterminated from operating businesses.

I am so sorry for this couple that had this accident but I am commenting on a previous post about the young Irish tourist in Pattaya that were scammed vfor 18 thousand baht for damage to a jet ski that they did not do and when they said they would not pay the operator pulled a knife on him.

SHAME SHAME SHAME THAILAND YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE NO TOURIST LEFT SOON.

The authority's in Thailand need to exterminate these pests out of the industry.

It is entirely correct to report them as tourists are involved & this is a farang forum. Yes, they should be banned - if Hua Hin can do it, so can Phuket & Pattaya. It's just like giving the car keys to a person who has no idea how to drive a car with predictable results. Not only are jet skis a danger to the users, they are a danger to swimmers, snorkelers, windsurfers & small sail boat sailors.

This is NOT sensational & is is negative because 2 people died. A bit of sympathy instead of a rant would be more appropriate. My sympathy goes to the families of the victims

Motorbikes are much more dangerous than jet skis. Hundreds more die riding motorbikes, many farangs for the first time. Should motorbikes be banned? Where does banning things some people don't like or feel to dangerous stop? Too many rules. Too much government control. Many farangs do not like jet ski operators. But, renting jet skis creates jobs. Thailand, like every other sinking country in this world - other than India & Communist China - needs jobs. Want more crime? Take jobs away from people in Thailand or anywhere else. How will they survive? A good idea is that all the farangs who want jet skis banned can buy food for the families of the jet ski operators they fire when they help the government ban the industry.