Jet-Ski Smash Turns Phuket Honeymoon Into Tragedy

george

Jet-ski smash turns Phuket honeymoon into tragedy

phuket-1-yJwvAfR.jpg

A police officer inspects the jet-ski

involved in the fatal accident.

PHUKET: -- A Chinese couple on their honeymoon died this morning after the jet-ski they were riding on slammed into a catamaran.

Police confirmed to the Gazette that the accident occurred about 11am nearly a kilometer offshore from the bridge at the south end of Patong Beach.

Zhao Qiang and his fiancee Chu Fang, both 28, suffered serious trauma to their necks, chests, arms and legs.

Police said the couple had rented the jet-ski from Manas Promniyom.

Mr Zhao drove the jet-ski from the beach, but rain began to fall about five minutes later, reducing visibility to about 50 meters, said police.

While out on the water, Mr Zhao out switched places with Mrs Chu. Police believe it was her first time driving a jet-ski.

Witnesses told police that the jet-ski plowed into a big wave. This might have frightened Mrs Chu, causing her to grip harder on the throttle, accelerating the jet-ski into the anchored catamaran.

The couple arrived on Sunday with an Asia Company tour group of nine other Chinese tourists.

They were due to fly home tomorrow morning with the rest of the group.

The tour group went to Koh Hei today, but Mrs Chu said she was sick and did not want to go.

The guide leading the tour group told the Gazette that he expressly told the tour group not to rent a jet-ski, as most of them could not drive well and many Chinese tourists had accidents with jet-skis in the past.

In April this year, Singaporean tourist Loh Ying Jie, 20, died from head injuries after being struck by a jet-ski being driven by his friend Tang Jun Han off Patong Beach.

The Singaporean State Coroner ruled the death as “misadventure”.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-12-01

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was just wondering:

after these numerous horrific accidents that seem to be happening 'all too frequently', are the customers deposits ever retrieved???

It seems to me that the objective of these operators might be THE DEPOSIT ITSELF (and I have heard that they range from passports, to credit cards, to wallets and jewellery)

To paraphrase one of the victims " They have no concern or consideration for the tourists/victims "

HOW FAR WOULD THEY GO TO ACQUIRE THEIR 'SPOILS'?

This is a sick, disgusting picture that has been painted regarding this 'industry'

terrible, in Thailand jet skis appear to be cursed, something to be avoided along with the scam as described in another post

Yes, cursed by a media and readers that pounce on tragedy and fear-based news. Granted this is sad news, but the fact is that thousands of people are killed in accidents around the world every day. What can we do? Ban jetSkis? That's not the problem -- the issue is careless, adventure-seeing risk-takers. Why does the news feel it has to report all of them?

Also every day *tens of thousands* of babies are born to ecstatic parents, thousands of medical "miracle" recoveries occur, numerous long-time friends are re-united, get new jobs, publish a book, invent a new cure, etc. Millions go about their lives every day working peacefully for good ends at charities, non-profits, and spiritual groups for the betterment of humans and the planet. Worst case, billions of people have a normal day. Does anyone ever stop to consider the relative weight which is given and perceived by the prominent promotion of freak, horrific incidents?

Where is all the reporting on the positive, optimistic, and inspiring good news in the world? It is out there for sure, but it seems most sites and newspapers like this are addicted to sensationalistic negativism.

terrible, in Thailand jet skis appear to be cursed, something to be avoided along with the scam as described in another post

Yes, cursed by a media and readers that pounce on tragedy and fear-based news. Granted this is sad news, but the fact is that thousands of people are killed in accidents around the world every day. What can we do? Ban jetSkis? That's not the problem -- the issue is careless, adventure-seeing risk-takers. Why does the news feel it has to report all of them?

Also every day *tens of thousands* of babies are born to ecstatic parents, thousands of medical "miracle" recoveries occur, numerous long-time friends are re-united, get new jobs, publish a book, invent a new cure, etc. Millions go about their lives every day working peacefully for good ends at charities, non-profits, and spiritual groups for the betterment of humans and the planet. Worst case, billions of people have a normal day. Does anyone ever stop to consider the relative weight which is given and perceived by the prominent promotion of freak, horrific incidents?

Where is all the reporting on the positive, optimistic, and inspiring good news in the world? It is out there for sure, but it seems most sites and newspapers like this are addicted to sensationalistic negativism.

It is entirely correct to report them as tourists are involved & this is a farang forum. Yes, they should be banned - if Hua Hin can do it, so can Phuket & Pattaya. It's just like giving the car keys to a person who has no idea how to drive a car with predictable results. Not only are jet skis a danger to the users, they are a danger to swimmers, snorkelers, windsurfers & small sail boat sailors.

This is NOT sensational & is is negative because 2 people died. A bit of sympathy instead of a rant would be more appropriate. My sympathy goes to the families of the victims

If its Good News you want, you really need to search for it. Try - http://goodnewsstories.org/

Of course most of the news is of disasters because the media know that is what people want to read about.

Now why they prefer disasters is another story in itself. I do have some strong theories, but perhaps this is not the correct forum for expanding on those.

Try http://www.facim.org/ You may find some answers there.

Ugly & useless things. Can't they be banned?

How ridiculous, yes, it's sad that they were killed on their honeymoon. But they were warned "The guide leading the tour group told the Gazette that he expressly told the tour group not to rent a jet-ski, as most of them could not drive well and many Chinese tourists had accidents with jet-skis in the past."

They mad a choice and a stupid one at that. They paid the ultimate price for their own decision.

Lets ban all farang's from driving motorbikes, cars and ban them from bars sincve most can hold their liquor and act stupid. While they're at it, let's ban all the bars that have "hostess" and maybe that will end the AIDS problem.

Come on, it's a free country where many come for a vacaction and have fun weather it's riding a motorbike or riding a jet ski.

Ban all jet skis, what will you come up with next.

Tragic. May they rest in peace

Sad story,

these Jetskies cost more suffering as fun, they are dam_n noisy and anoying for every tourist who is searching a quiet beach. When this things get banned from public beaches?

May they rest in peace

How ridiculous, yes, it's sad that they were killed on their honeymoon. But they were warned "The guide leading the tour group told the Gazette that he expressly told the tour group not to rent a jet-ski, as most of them could not drive well and many Chinese tourists had accidents with jet-skis in the past."

They mad a choice and a stupid one at that. They paid the ultimate price for their own decision.

Lets ban all farang's from driving motorbikes, cars and ban them from bars sincve most can hold their liquor and act stupid. While they're at it, let's ban all the bars that have "hostess" and maybe that will end the AIDS problem.

Come on, it's a free country where many come for a vacaction and have fun weather it's riding a motorbike or riding a jet ski.

I am travelling to Phuket since 24 years and in those days there were no Jetskies and not so much motobikes but a lot of farangs who know something about the country they are travelling to.

So do you think we dont had fun? We could walk on streets without seeing accidents day by day and belive it or not, somtimes we WALKED more than a kilometer, or we took a BUS to Phuket town.

I dont blame the farangs renting motobikes here. If we get a normal public transport system and fair prices for taxis and tuk tuks tourist wont rent motobikes or cars and cause accidents...but STOP,

then the renting shops, garages who repair bikes and hospitals dont make money anymore, even the morticians running out of good business with foreigners. They sent back hundreds of Thai Tourists back in coffins or ballot boxes....so OK, YOU ARE RIGHT

Driving a jetski is is not a sport for everybody. You need some basic

skills to operate a PWC not jetski as it is called in this thread. If you

do not know how to operate a speedboat, you have nothing to do on a

PWC. You have to be able to read the sea and the waves, to adjust

the speed to get a smoth ride. Sometimes it can be better to go faster

just to avoid the danger of digging into arough wave. In other words:

If the significant wave hight is 2 meter you can get a better and more

confortable ride in 30 knots rather than 20, because you are crruising

on the wavetops instead of diving into the boittom of every wave. You

also need som skills aboat hoiw to use the throttle to avoid hard landings

after a take off. This is not a recomended sport for newbies ! Renting out

a PWC to people without boating experience should be banned. It is crazy.

I have experience with speeds up to 70 knots, and I have been out in the

deep blue for more than 35 years,. I know what I am talking about.

I am a naval instructor and I got a boat driving licence in 1981. MY

ADVICE STOP THE MADNESS !

I am travelling to Phuket since 24 years and in those days there were no Jetskies and not so much motobikes but a lot of farangs who know something about the country they are travelling to.

So do you think we dont had fun? We could walk on streets without seeing accidents day by day and belive it or not, somtimes we WALKED more than a kilometer, or we took a BUS to Phuket town.

I dont blame the farangs renting motobikes here. If we get a normal public transport system and fair prices for taxis and tuk tuks tourist wont rent motobikes or cars and cause accidents...but STOP,

then the renting shops, garages who repair bikes and hospitals dont make money anymore, even the morticians running out of good business with foreigners. They sent back hundreds of Thai Tourists back in coffins or ballot boxes....so OK, YOU ARE RIGHT

What a boring bunch of spoil sport old farts you are! Jet Skis are fun and should not be banned just restricted to their own bit of sea where harm is least. Crashing a Ski through a wave at full throttle is great stuff. Folks will always die on the edge always have always will. Skis are tame stuff really but still fun. I can tell you that a 750cc bike on a Thai road in the middle of the night when no one is around will do 134 mph! Sorry for the folks that died.

Commiserations to the 2 that died. In europe and most other countries there are a lot more effective safety controls in place for the hire and use of jet skis. People are asked what their level is and given an approriate powered bike . There are controlled exit/entry channels that are used from the beach and a distance limit from the beach that that the skis have to adhere to . A lot less accidents as a result.

As for scooter/bike hire driving - same applies. Much stricter criteria for the hire of cars/bike. Hey you also get insurance that actually is worth something. I have a license as do most farang which means once we reached the appropriate specified age 17/18 we studied the highway code, took lessons and sat and passed tests to drive cars and bikes. How many thai's have licenses ( if at all) based on this criteria.? And how is it effectively policed? Be interesting to know the statistics re farang /Thai road accidents annually. Doesnt excuse some of the idiot tourists I have seen driving but that isn;t representative of farang as a norm..

Edited by LivinginKata

The focus should be on the people who have lost their lives and the people around them that will/are being effected by this.

If we looked only at the negative in anything and the problems of careless use or application, then "everything" should be banned!

People get injured or die doing most things on this wonderful planet of ours, even riding a bus to school takes lives every year, maybe more than die on jet skis.

EL22

Sad to be sure... May the young couple rest in peace...

But more important, who will pay the damages for the jet ski and loss of use while it is being repaired? :whistling:

"BUT MORE IMPORTANT" ????????????? What do you want to say?? Jet Ski are insured now

It is entirely correct to report them as tourists are involved & this is a farang forum. Yes, they should be banned - if Hua Hin can do it, so can Phuket & Pattaya. It's just like giving the car keys to a person who has no idea how to drive a car with predictable results. Not only are jet skis a danger to the users, they are a danger to swimmers, snorkelers, windsurfers & small sail boat sailors.

This is NOT sensational & is is negative because 2 people died. A bit of sympathy instead of a rant would be more appropriate. My sympathy goes to the families of the victims

Well Thais do drive cars now. We have given them keys.

Commiserations to the 2 that died. In europe and most other countries there are a lot more effective safety controls in place for the hire and use of jet skis. People are asked what their level is and given an approriate powered bike . There are controlled exit/entry channels that are used from the beach and a distance limit from the beach that that the skis have to adhere to . A lot less accidents as a result.

As for scooter/bike hire driving - same applies. Much stricter criteria for the hire of cars/bike. Hey you also get insurance that actually is worth something. I have a license as do most farang which means once we reached the appropriate specified age 17/18 we studied the highway code, took lessons and sat and passed tests to drive cars and bikes. How many thai's have licenses ( if at all) based on this criteria.? And how is it effectively policed? Be interesting to know the statistics re farang /Thai road accidents annually. Doesnt excuse some of the idiot tourists I have seen driving but that isn;t representative of farang as a norm..

They have to be 17 / 18 to get a lisience? I thought it was "can you turn the key? ok you can drive."

Tragic. May they rest in peace

Sad story,

these Jetskies cost more suffering as fun, they are dam_n noisy and anoying for every tourist who is searching a quiet beach. When this things get banned from public beaches?

May they rest in peace

Very nicely spoken. Good on U, chok dee, chok dee:)

well they will never be banned, if anything they will prosper. This accident was not the fault of the jet ski but the operator.

R.I.P very sad.

Are they more dangerous than a big bike? An in experienced rider and a fast machine is asking for trouble.

What a boring bunch of spoil sport old farts you are! Jet Skis are fun and should not be banned just restricted to their own bit of sea where harm is least. Crashing a Ski through a wave at full throttle is great stuff. Folks will always die on the edge always have always will. Skis are tame stuff really but still fun. I can tell you that a 750cc bike on a Thai road in the middle of the night when no one is around will do 134 mph! Sorry for the folks that died.

Quote: ' Crashing a Ski through a wave at full throttle is great stuff'

It's even a much greater fun when you crash a ski through some unlucky swimmer's head. Now, that's what I call real FUN!!!'

How many innocent swimmers have died as a result of someone's having fun?

YOU OUGHT TO HAVE YOUR HEAD EXAMINED IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE IN WHAT YOU HAVE WRITTEN.

Very well said, Mahalo, I could not agree more, one other thing I would suggest and this should be "everywhere"

Rules, guide-lines and short lesson for beginners, in their language, written or spoken, signed.

if one must charge 100 baht or more for the information and lesson,

just maybe there will be less horrible stories like this reported and if one has been drinking, pass on a rental, be it jet ski, sail or motorboat, motor cycle, car, dune buggy, ultralight aircraft, bicycle. If there is an accident and the customer has not been educated, the renter is fined and jailed also loss of license if they have one.