Jet-Ski Smash Turns Phuket Honeymoon Into Tragedy

george

No actually it's not the jet skis but the drunken idiots or complete neophytes renting them. I've seen them run over swimmers without even noticing! These are not play toys and these tourists are doing high speed and for the most part of of control. Also no idea about right of way or basic laws of operating a vessel in Thai waters. They should require training before cutting them loose. My 2 cents..

terrible, in Thailand jet skis appear to be cursed, something to be avoided along with the scam as described in another post

Yes, cursed by a media and readers that pounce on tragedy and fear-based news. Granted this is sad news, but the fact is that thousands of people are killed in accidents around the world every day. What can we do? Ban jetSkis? That's not the problem -- the issue is careless, adventure-seeing risk-takers. Why does the news feel it has to report all of them?

Also every day *tens of thousands* of babies are born to ecstatic parents, thousands of medical "miracle" recoveries occur, numerous long-time friends are re-united, get new jobs, publish a book, invent a new cure, etc. Millions go about their lives every day working peacefully for good ends at charities, non-profits, and spiritual groups for the betterment of humans and the planet. Worst case, billions of people have a normal day. Does anyone ever stop to consider the relative weight which is given and perceived by the prominent promotion of freak, horrific incidents?

Where is all the reporting on the positive, optimistic, and inspiring good news in the world? It is out there for sure, but it seems most sites and newspapers like this are addicted to sensationalistic negativism.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sad to be sure... May the young couple rest in peace...

But more important, who will pay the damages for the jet ski and loss of use while it is being repaired? :whistling:

:( Well I heard the catamaran had quite a lot of damage plus the jetski guys want the owner to pay for the jetski damage too ! dduuuuuhhhh !

If true, that would be extortion.rolleyes.gif

terrible, in Thailand jet skis appear to be cursed, something to be avoided along with the scam as described in another post

Yes, cursed by a media and readers that pounce on tragedy and fear-based news. Granted this is sad news, but the fact is that thousands of people are killed in accidents around the world every day. What can we do? Ban jetSkis? That's not the problem -- the issue is careless, adventure-seeing risk-takers. Why does the news feel it has to report all of them?

Also every day *tens of thousands* of babies are born to ecstatic parents, thousands of medical "miracle" recoveries occur, numerous long-time friends are re-united, get new jobs, publish a book, invent a new cure, etc. Millions go about their lives every day working peacefully for good ends at charities, non-profits, and spiritual groups for the betterment of humans and the planet. Worst case, billions of people have a normal day. Does anyone ever stop to consider the relative weight which is given and perceived by the prominent promotion of freak, horrific incidents?

Where is all the reporting on the positive, optimistic, and inspiring good news in the world? It is out there for sure, but it seems most sites and newspapers like this are addicted to sensationalistic negativism.

Excellent post! I absolutely agree. I understand why this is news, but it needs to be put into perspective. I rented my first jet-ski about 8 years ago at Jomtien Beach and had a blast. Since then, i have rented jet skis at Pattaya, Phuket, Koh Samui, Krabi and several locations in the Philippines. I am careful and enjoy myself. I certainly hope they are not outlawed. So sorry to hear about this tragedy. Note to self, don't let me girlfriend drive!